PDA

View Full Version : Sochi Olympics

Jim Bow
01-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I think something besides sports is going to happen at the Sochi Olympics.
Watching BBC and AlJazera coverage of the security issues is very disconcerting. They both have presented the Dagistan terrorists as specifically anti Putin. They would rather destroy the Putin Olympics than actually succeed politically. Putin's strong arm tactics in their territory has made it personal.

Also watched the HBO Bryant Gumbel piece on the area around Sochi. Very poor, but it will be cleaned up and painted for the cameras. No infrastructure other than that recently installed by the Olympics contractors, who were all cohorts with the Putin regime.

It has all the earmarks of a fiasco.

AnalogKid
01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
It's in our papers that the US government is putting in place a rapid exit plan for the US team should things other than sport start happening. Sensible, and I hope unnecessary, but the threats are far more specific than have surrounded previous international sporting events.

slug
01-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Gee...why so negative ?

Gerarddm
01-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Unfun people have a way of making themselves known. I wouldn't be surprised if they did so not necessarily at Sochi,but anywhere else in Russian controlled territory.

Munich is an ugly memory. I vividly remember Jim McKay sadly and simply announcing, "they're all gone".

slug
01-22-2014, 04:34 AM
i just spoke to a friend who lives in Sochi. Massive security, stop and search in supermarkets, public transport.....security measures everywhere.

what more would you suggest they do ?

mikefrommontana
01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Wonder if they're contracting the NSA for electronic suveillance?

slug
01-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Why would the Russians want Americans on thier soil ? To attract even more bad guys ?

TomF
01-22-2014, 11:23 AM
I would be surprised were there not bombs during the Olympics, somewhere on Russian soil. I suspect that security will be strong enough to forestall bombings at official Olympic events, or in Olympic venues.

George.
01-22-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't want innocent victims, but Putin's Olympics deserve to fail. It's like 1936.

George.
01-22-2014, 12:57 PM
i just spoke to a friend who lives in Sochi. Massive security, stop and search in supermarkets, public transport.....security measures everywhere.

what more would you suggest they do ?

How about stop torturing, jailing, and killing people indiscriminately.

skuthorp
01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
It seems to me there's a certain 'mesmerised by the headlights' attitude going on here amongst Olympic authorities and the Russian Government.
I do hope I'm wrong.