PDA

View Full Version : Steve McMahon

Paul Pless
01-20-2014, 02:12 PM
A package arrived in Hell from you over the weekend. Not one, but two books focusing on schooners! Thank you much. I assure you they will be devoured by me.

Of course I'll be reading the one with the bloody clipper bow drawings first. ;)

Steve McMahon
01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
LOL, You are welcome. I thought you might get a kick out of that one. I'm glad they arrived, I wasn't sure how the Canada Post dog sleds were going to make out with this last weeks thaw.

Did you order The Sea in My Blood, Captain Andy Publicover from Amazon? That is a book that you can get absorbed in.

Paul Pless
01-20-2014, 02:33 PM
LOL, You are welcome. I thought you might get a kick out of that one. I'm glad they arrived, I wasn't sure how the Canada Post dog sleds were going to make out with this last weeks thaw.

Did you order The Sea in My Blood, Captain Andy Publicover from Amazon? That is a book that you can get absorbed in.

home mail delivery was suspended here in hell a couple of times in the last couple of weeks due to the cold, the ice and the fact that snow plows had buried so many people's mailboxes. . .

yes i did order that book but haven't cracked it open yet

mmd
01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
When I am in Bridgewater this coming weekend, I plan to take a tour down the river to see what damage has been done by the last few storms (they kicked the crap outta my property there and here in Yarmouth County, mostly fallen trees) and I will be driving past Cap't Andy's round granite beach stone houses. I'll take a pic for you if conditions are right. Pretty nice places - he built three of 'em. He built them to keep his crews busy while he was a-waiting the next cargo south.

Steve McMahon
01-20-2014, 10:31 PM
When I am in Bridgewater this coming weekend, I plan to take a tour down the river to see what damage has been done by the last few storms (they kicked the crap outta my property there and here in Yarmouth County, mostly fallen trees) and I will be driving past Cap't Andy's round granite beach stone houses. I'll take a pic for you if conditions are right. Pretty nice places - he built three of 'em. He built them to keep his crews busy while he was a-waiting the next cargo south.

That would be great mmd. I used to drive by them regularly when I lived down the river. Never gave them a second thought beyond "nice houses" until I'd been long gone from the South Shore and picked up his book.

Steve McMahon
01-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Well look at that - one of them is for sale!
http://homesforsalebridgewater.com/4027-hwy-331-dublin-shore/

Paul: since you haven't cracked the book yet, a hint - Captain Publicover built three stone homes on the Lahave river between trips. I can't remember which one(s), but at least one and maybe two of them he decided to build the walls laying on the ground and stand them up with Oxen (or maybe horses?) A man way before his time - early tilt up construction.

Hwyl
01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
I just finished reading "The Sea in my Blood" ,t was in my Amazon "cart" but I don't remember puttinng it ther, but bought it anyway. I was probably inspired by this thread. It was all the more enjoyable for mebecause I've sailed to or past all the places mentioned.

Hwyl
01-31-2014, 08:13 PM
I found a new word to me "Guntling" a passageway through deck cargo. I may have to wait a while to drop that in conversation.