PDA

View Full Version : Football Analysis?

David W Pratt
01-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Any insights on the Patriots, Broncos game?

Garret
01-19-2014, 08:58 AM
No insights, but I have to say that, even though I'm a Pats fan, I'm shocked to see them even in the playoffs, much less the championship game. I just didn't think they had what they needed this year. However, the Pats I saw last week are a very different team than a couple of months ago with the focus on running instead of passing. That change may prove interesting in today's game.

What I'm most pleased with is that I think this year will have 2 very good championship games & even a competitive Stupid Bowl.

John Smith
01-19-2014, 09:02 AM
So much of the talk about this game centers on the quarterbacks. So little centers on the defense.

It may well turn out that one defense rises to the occasion better than does the other defense, and that may decide the game.

David W Pratt
01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
I would agree with both. LaGarette Blount was very impressive and a couple if ints could go a long way toward neutralizing a top QB

L.W. Baxter
01-19-2014, 11:10 AM
My analysis is that Belichick is the best coach in the game. And the Patriots this year have proven that a great coach can trump other factors.

It doesn't hurt that Brady is one of the great gamer's ever to play. He is passionate, focused, and relentless.

That said, Broncos have the tools to win. Fox and Manning are no slouches themselves. Game on!

L.W. Baxter
01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Giselle Bundchen throwing Welker under the bus in 2012 pushed me over the top in my distaste for the Pats.

I know she has nothing to do with the franchise, so my reaction is completely irrational, but sports fandom is like that. I don't want Giselle to have the satisfaction. May her pretty face be soured with disappointment. And I hope she says something stupid about who's fault it was afterward. Go Broncos!

Gerarddm
01-19-2014, 12:01 PM
My sister lives near Vail, CO and is now an avid Broncos fan. Her son is a fanatic Patriots fan ( they used to live in New England many moons ago when he was an impressionable kid ).

Hah!

For no particular reason at all, I am leaning Patriots today. Call it a mere hunch, a whisp of a feeling. I do think that having the Patriots in the Super Bowl sets up a classic East-West matchup, good for ratings.

Go 'Hawks!

David G
01-19-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't care much about NFL... but y'all can wake me when it's Seahawks time.

David W Pratt
01-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Agree, Gerard, a Bronco, west coast SB would lose a lot of East coast audience

Tom Montgomery
01-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Whoever wins the AFC Championship game will lose to the NFC Champion in the Super Bowl.

Tom Montgomery
01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
I am rooting for the Patriots. I dislike Bill Belichick but I love Tom Brady.

I am tired of hearing all the ESPN talking heads calling Peyton Manning the "all-time greatest regular season quarterback." It just is not so.

The 5 greatest regular season Quarterbacks:

1. Otto Graham......57-13-1 (.803) NFL
.................................... 47-4-3 (.870) ACC
................................. 104-17-4 (.832) Total professional career

2. Tom Brady 148-43-0 (.775)

3. Daryle Lamonica 66-16-6 (.750)

4. Roger Staubach 85-29-0 (.746)

5. Joe Montana 117-47-0 (.713)

Peyton Manning ranks #6 at 167-73-0 (.696)

Gerarddm
01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Not a good way to start the Seahawks game.

Tom Montgomery
01-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Ugh. Spot San Fran 3 points.

Garret
01-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Back to the previous game for a moment - the Broncos played a great game & their defense really did a good job on the Pats.

Now - the Sehawks better get their act together!

Gerarddm
01-19-2014, 07:00 PM
If Tony Romo can put up 48 against the Broncs, they can be beat. Of course, the Broncs put up more, but either the Seattle or SF defenses are pretty stifling.

Gerarddm
01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Unexpectedly pathetic on the Seahawks' part. They better come up with some serious adjustments for the second half.

John Smith
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Back to the previous game for a moment - the Broncos played a great game & their defense really did a good job on the Pats.

Now - the Sehawks better get their act together!

If anyone knows; I don't feel like looking it up. How many times has NE been held to 16 points?

Nanoose
01-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Analysis? Ya. Denver won.
And Seattle just tied it up.

Gerarddm
01-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Marshawn!

ron ll
01-19-2014, 08:42 PM
This isn't going to be easy.

ron ll
01-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Two tough teams. Either can easily take out Denver. :)

Tom Montgomery
01-19-2014, 09:56 PM
WOW!

Congratulations Seahawks. You pulled it out by the skin of your teeth.

Ted Hoppe
01-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Worst reffing ever. niners were robbed despite the interceptions thrown.

Perhaps the NFL thinks Seattle needs a ring.

ron ll
01-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Baldwin's the new hero. Wilson looked a little sloppy today.

hokiefan
01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
One of my favorite Hokies Kam Chancellor, had himself a big day. 8 tackles, a pass broken up, and an interception. To top it all of, the Seahawks won and he gets to play in the Superbowl.

Cheers,

Bobby

John Smith
01-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Speaking of refs: Why is it in the play-offs they seem to "let them play" by different rules than the regular season?

I agree the refs were terrible, but the truth is, sans anyone hitting the punter, Seahawks would have had the ball. Seems it should have been a 15 yard penalty. Why that can't be challenged puzzles me. As does the fumble recovery, which was erased by Seattle's fourth down fumble.

Seems that should be able to be challenged.

Tom Montgomery
01-20-2014, 09:39 AM
If anyone knows; I don't feel like looking it up. How many times has NE been held to 16 points?
21 times in the Tom Brady era (12 full seasons). 16 times in 193 regular season games and 5 times in 26 playoff games.

Most recently three months ago in the 5th game of the season on 10-6-13, Cincinnati beat New England 13-6.
m

John Smith
01-20-2014, 10:42 AM
21 times in the Tom Brady era (12 full seasons). 16 times in 193 regular season games and 5 times in 26 playoff games.

Most recently three months ago in the 5th game of the season on 10-6-13, Cincinnati beat New England 13-6.
m

In other words, not a lot.

Figment
01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Speaking of refs: Why is it in the play-offs they seem to "let them play" by different rules than the regular season?

In the regular season, player safety serves the best interest of the game.... keep people healthy for a hot playoff run. Nobody wants to see championship playoff games played by 2nd or 3rd string talent because the best of the best are out with an injury.

In the playoffs, they want the game to be decided by the talents and abilities of the players on the field. Nobody wants a game to be decided by a flag or series of flags. Secondarily, they don't want a bunch of flags dampening the intensity of the game during the playoffs. They want fire-spitting monsters. (fire-spitting monsters sell more beer and tshirts)

JimD
01-20-2014, 11:55 AM
I was sort of hoping that New England and the Broncos would both lose, but only because I'm tired of hearing about Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in the same way I'm tired of Meryl Streep winning Oscars. I haven't any reason to dislike them, just like to see someone else in the spotlight. Being nominally a Seahawks fan I'm glad they won.

Gerarddm
01-20-2014, 12:07 PM
This season proves Napoleon correct. He once said that above all else he wanted lucky generals. The Seahawks this year have been a lucky team. That bodes well for the Superbowl.

It would be nice to get Percy Harvin back in time, though. His hip seems to be finally healed, now it is just the concussion.

John Smith
01-20-2014, 03:50 PM
In the regular season, player safety serves the best interest of the game.... keep people healthy for a hot playoff run. Nobody wants to see championship playoff games played by 2nd or 3rd string talent because the best of the best are out with an injury.

In the playoffs, they want the game to be decided by the talents and abilities of the players on the field. Nobody wants a game to be decided by a flag or series of flags. Secondarily, they don't want a bunch of flags dampening the intensity of the game during the playoffs. They want fire-spitting monsters. (fire-spitting monsters sell more beer and tshirts)

I saw some debate this morning about Welker hitting New England's star defensive player. NE's coach seems to think it should have been flagged. I have to wonder if it would have been flagged in a regular season game.

I'm not comfortable with these rules being different.

Be that as it may, San Francisco got a bad call on the "running into the kicker" that should have been "roughing" because, as explained by the resident expert, it was the planted foot that got hit. What should have been a first down for the 49'ers became a touchdown scoring drive for the Seahawks. Then we had the bad call on a fumble recovery, which, fortunately did not impact the score.

I'd rather have a flag keep the game honest, and a challenge overturn a bad call.

Mostly, I'd like some consistency in calling penalties.

Figment
01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
you should come to a peewee hockey game sometime. :D