PDA

View Full Version : Angled parking question

willmarsh3
01-18-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm parked in an angled parking space in front of businesses and on a two lane one way street. I'm ready to back out and I'm watching for traffic to clear. Then I see a vehicle backing out of a similar angled parking space about 75 feet back up the road. While he is still in reverse and backing out I back my car out. I figure I have room and time to do this.

Question: am I right to do this?

What led to this question is the other vehicle accelerated and then jammed on his brakes behind me like he was angry.

Willin'
01-18-2014, 08:35 PM
It was a Porsche. He just left the 3 spaces he was occupying and you stupidly got into his personal traffic lane. Your bad.

Ian McColgin
01-18-2014, 08:54 PM
From your description, your figuring you had space and time depended upon the other car moving slowly. After all, it's but seconds to get 75 feet along from a standstill and you're about that many seconds behind in your pulling out. Your pulling out inevitably inconvenienced the other driver by a couple of seconds, a perfectly acceptable thing to let everyone get into the street sooner or later. He or she would have seen you and any normally courteous driver would have slowed up to let you out. Your action slowed - at least two seconds! - the other driver but that driver brought the stress on him- or herself.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Some people are just jerks Will.
The world is full of em.
Like Ian said, any courteous driver would have slowed up to let you out.

BrianY
01-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Your mistake was having the temerity to be on the same street as the other driver. How dare you impede him/her by even a few seconds! Your stupidity resulted in him/her being inconvenienced and that's clearly a provocative and disrespectful act.

htom
01-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Your mistake was not rushing in reverse to prevent his leaving. ;)

Really, what's his problem? Some people are just jerks.

Phil Y
01-18-2014, 09:47 PM
You shouldnt be posting on the internet while backing out of a parking space. No wonder he was pissed.

oznabrag
01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Your mistake was not faking a 'stall' in the middle of the street.

willmarsh3
01-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I was fairly spot on with what most people would think. Most drivers are courteous if they are not surprised. I generally plan to allow a minimum of 5 seconds if I do something that someone else has to react to. It's possible I only allowed 4 this time. That would be my bad.

I had parked in a space just past the top of the hill so there was limited visibility. Maybe I should pick somewhere else and walk.

There are indeed many jerks in the world - and it sometimes takes only seconds for them to show their true colors.

And posting on the internet while backing would piss anyone off :D :D

willmarsh3
01-18-2014, 10:17 PM
your mistake was not faking a 'stall' in the middle of the street.

lol :)

willmarsh3
01-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Your mistake was not rushing in reverse to prevent his leaving. ;)

Really, what's his problem? Some people are just jerks.

I was parked far enough down the road to not block him in during any part of backing out of the space.

purri
01-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Drive an SUV with a large tow hitch and keep reversing...

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-18-2014, 10:50 PM
I never worry about the car behind me, it's the one in front I have to worry about.
I believe it's called "failure to assure clear distance" and comes with a fine.

George Jung
01-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Hard to say. My suspicion - he was having a bad day. It happens!

One thing I've noticed in Lincoln - we've got the mellowest drivers I've seen anywhere. Drive under the speed limit; let folks into traffic, even at quitting time. There's still the occasional yerk, but they're the exception.

willmarsh3
01-18-2014, 11:32 PM
If I'm backing up and hit something then it would have been my fault - I think that's the law in all 50 states. But if he rear ended me like he almost did then that would have been his fault.

I got the impression he wanted to accelerate briskly after he got out of the parking space but I interfered with that. After he got past me he stomped on the gas.

George it sounds like you live in a very decent place.

Peerie Maa
01-19-2014, 07:06 AM
We call idiots like that "Boy racers" here. The sort that drives flat out to a red light and then brakes hard, 'cos they can.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Were I in that situation I would have felt quite comfortable in using the other vehicle as a barrier insuring that a third vehicle approaching too fast, with bad brakes, or poor eyesight, or TEXTING, would crash into that other backer-outer instead of you.

Reynard38
01-19-2014, 07:39 AM
It was a Porsche. He just left the 3 spaces he was occupying and you stupidly got into his personal traffic lane. Your bad.

As a former 911 owner I take exception to that. Most of the a$$hole drivers seem to be in big SUV's.

BrianW
01-19-2014, 08:14 AM
As a former 911 owner I take exception to that. Most of the a$$hole drivers seem to be in big SUV's.

As a former SUV owner, I take exception to that. Most of the a$$hole drivers seem to be driving Volvo's (or bicycles.) :D

BrianW
01-19-2014, 08:15 AM
..or Miata's, with bra's.

:D

willmarsh3
01-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Were I in that situation I would have felt quite comfortable in using the other vehicle as a barrier insuring that a third vehicle approaching too fast, with bad brakes, or poor eyesight, or TEXTING, would crash into that other backer-outer instead of you.

That's what the plan was. Presumably he had made sure it was clear behind him.

George Jung
01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Hehe..yep, while the type of car may reflect the owners personality (deficits), like guns, it's the driver that adds that 'personality'. I can do a convincing 'boy racer' with my van - real boy racers hate getting their doors blown off by a van! :P

willmarsh3
01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
We call idiots like that "Boy racers" here. The sort that drives flat out to a red light and then brakes hard, 'cos they can.

Bless their hearts but sometimes they can't help being idiots. :D :D

Reynard38
01-19-2014, 10:48 AM
..or Miata's, with bra's.

:D
+1 on the Volvos, and the bras.