PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy vs. resorcinol

Carlsboats
09-30-2000, 08:29 AM
What glue would be best for planking a wood- composite hull (strip planked cedar plus two
layers of cedar veneer, tacked with plastic staples)? I had planned to use epoxy (I have been using System Three, which I understand the folks at the WoodenBoat school also like), but then I ran into Larry Pardey, who certainly knows a thing or two about building wooden boats. Larry and Lin report failures with epoxies, and opt for resorcinol resins, especially England's Aerodux 500. They say it is tolerant of cool temperatures in the building shop, and better at gap filling than the conventional resorcinols such as Weldwood and Borden, which require tightly mated surfaces. I have no quarrel with resorcinol -- a 40' yawl I stripped planked with this has held up beautifully for 30 years, with seamless topsides. But do I have to go to England to get a resorcinol that has some gap-filling capability? And what do high-quality builders such as Steve White at Brooklin boat use in their composite hulls?

Carlsboats
What glue would be best for planking a wood- composite hull (strip planked cedar plus two
layers of cedar veneer, tacked with plastic staples)? I had planned to use epoxy (I have been using System Three, which I understand the folks at the WoodenBoat school also like), but then I ran into Larry Pardey, who certainly knows a thing or two about building wooden boats. Larry and Lin report failures with epoxies, and opt for resorcinol resins, especially England's Aerodux 500. They say it is tolerant of cool temperatures in the building shop, and better at gap filling than the conventional resorcinols such as Weldwood and Borden, which require tightly mated surfaces. I have no quarrel with resorcinol -- a 40' yawl I stripped planked with this has held up beautifully for 30 years, with seamless topsides. But do I have to go to England to get a resorcinol that has some gap-filling capability? And what do high-quality builders such as Steve White at Brooklin boat use in their composite hulls?

Carlsboats

NormMessinger
09-30-2000, 09:51 AM
To answer your question, one of us could do a search of the Wooden Boat Forum, subject Aerodux 500, and find the one source of the product in the US. At the moment I'm more interested in be a smartass than in being helpful.

Nothin' wrong with epoxy.

--Norm

NormMessinger
To answer your question, one of us could do a search of the Wooden Boat Forum, subject Aerodux 500, and find the one source of the product in the US. At the moment I'm more interested in be a smartass than in being helpful.

--Norm

NormMessinger

--Norm

wandiwise
09-30-2000, 01:38 PM
Oh, what the devil, Norm: Aerodux 500 is available from CPindustries, www.custompak.com (http://www.custompak.com) or 1-800-454-4583.

Yer Velcome!

wandiwise
Oh, what the devil, Norm: Aerodux 500 is available from CPindustries, www.custompak.com (http://www.custompak.com) or 1-800-454-4583.

Yer Velcome!

wandiwise

Yer Velcome!

Mike Keers
09-30-2000, 01:51 PM
This is off-subject, but since you brought it up, I've heard other rumors about the Pardys and epoxy....someone said they "were suing WEST" or something similar. Can you expound on this?

Sorry to change the subject, but I'm starting construction of a 28' diesel cruiser shortly, and it's an epoxy/ply boat.
I've never had any problems with epoxy in 10 years and a few boats (I use FCI 1:1), but always curious.

MK

Mike Keers
This is off-subject, but since you brought it up, I've heard other rumors about the Pardys and epoxy....someone said they "were suing WEST" or something similar. Can you expound on this?

Sorry to change the subject, but I'm starting construction of a 28' diesel cruiser shortly, and it's an epoxy/ply boat.
I've never had any problems with epoxy in 10 years and a few boats (I use FCI 1:1), but always curious.

MK

Mike Keers

MK

thechemist
09-30-2000, 05:29 PM
Hi, Mike

Why not call the folks at WEST and ask them directly? It would certainly be a more reliable source of information than the rumor passed on by that "someone" guy.

If you really want a rumor, there are several good ones on the usenet, especially on sailing.asa, one of which I reliably heard was by that same someone guy.

thechemist
Hi, Mike

Why not call the folks at WEST and ask them directly? It would certainly be a more reliable source of information than the rumor passed on by that "someone" guy.

If you really want a rumor, there are several good ones on the usenet, especially on sailing.asa, one of which I reliably heard was by that same someone guy.

thechemist
Hi, Mike

Mike Keers
09-30-2000, 07:38 PM
Chemist,
Carlsboats said "Lin and Larry report failures with epoxy"....it was that I was asking him to comment on (whether it was WEST or not is not an issue to me)....I'm curious to know if he can be a bit more specific about the "failures".

One hears many things on the waterfront, don't you agree? This isn't the first time I've heard the Pardeys may have had epoxy problems. I'm just wondering if anyone can shed a bit more light on this. Or maybe I should just call the Pardeys? ;) mk

Mike Keers
Chemist,
Carlsboats said "Lin and Larry report failures with epoxy"....it was that I was asking him to comment on (whether it was WEST or not is not an issue to me)....I'm curious to know if he can be a bit more specific about the "failures".

One hears many things on the waterfront, don't you agree? This isn't the first time I've heard the Pardeys may have had epoxy problems. I'm just wondering if anyone can shed a bit more light on this. Or maybe I should just call the Pardeys? ;) mk

Mike Keers
Chemist,

Carlsboats
09-30-2000, 09:11 PM
Comments about epoxies by the Pardeys will be found in the second edition of Larry's book, "Details of Classic Boat Construction, The Hull" in which he includes an appendix on adhesives. That is where I first saw his strong recommendations for resorcinols. Now
I see that he also did a brief piece on Aerodux in WoodenBoat #147, March/April 1999.
Thanks for the reference to CP Industries. Larry also called me today to give me that 800 tel. number -- from Annapolis where currently both of his world-pasage boats, Serafin and his newer Taliesen, are tied up side by side. He said it is the first time the two boats have ever been together.

Carlsboats
Comments about epoxies by the Pardeys will be found in the second edition of Larry's book, "Details of Classic Boat Construction, The Hull" in which he includes an appendix on adhesives. That is where I first saw his strong recommendations for resorcinols. Now
I see that he also did a brief piece on Aerodux in WoodenBoat #147, March/April 1999.
Thanks for the reference to CP Industries. Larry also called me today to give me that 800 tel. number -- from Annapolis where currently both of his world-pasage boats, Serafin and his newer Taliesen, are tied up side by side. He said it is the first time the two boats have ever been together.

Carlsboats

Mike Keers
09-30-2000, 09:50 PM
Carlsboats,
Thank you for the additional information...it appears we've both got good leads now <g>. mk

Mike Keers
Carlsboats,
Thank you for the additional information...it appears we've both got good leads now <g>. mk

Mike Keers
Carlsboats,