PDA

View Full Version : I've been served.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Tonight, with a subpoena to appear in court next week as a witness in a felony case.

I saw a guy fire an arrow in a downtown alley where people were walking around seconds earlier.

The person was 'known to the police' and was affiliated with the adjacent tattoo parlour that had recently been raided for alleged narcotic trafficking.

I believe an ensuing search led to additional charges of some kind.

The tattoo parlour is a block and a half from my house and next door to my local chippy.

Feeling rather exposed as the old guy with a cane who walks by several times a week.

At least I don't have to worry too much about getting shot here in the great white north.

Any suggestions, short of wearing a false beard, would be welcome

Mike |:(

Ian McColgin
01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
But more seriously, being a witness can invite retaliation. Sounds like your in a neighborhood where the risk level is already there and I imagine that you already move about with some foresight. So stay conscious, stay safe, and don't stay out late.

G'luck

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 09:26 PM
But more seriously, being a witness can invite retaliation. Sounds like your in a neighborhood where the risk level is already there and I imagine that you already move about with some foresight. So stay conscious, stay safe, and don't stay out late.

G'luck

If by risk you mean the Hells Angels Clubhouse which is 500 feet away from my front door, I'd have to agree.

Maybe I'll dye my hair red for the trial?

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Is being a troll now a felony offense?

No, you're safe.

Ian McColgin
01-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Even though it's unlikely that Mayor Ford will help you in any way, I don't see that any mild disguise is likely to make a difference. Your in the neighborhood. It's already known that you saw. If there's anything missing in your normal safety measures, like an adequate (steel) door and lock, attend to it. Otherwise, your neighborhood is what it is and you know all about it. Stay safe. G'luck

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 09:35 PM
be aware... make eye contact... I find that disarms many a bully... don't fake it
if it's the real deal then you're as safe as is practical... try to bluff anyone and your bluff will be called

learn how to make the camera on your cell phone work

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Thank you Gentlemen.

johnw
01-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Take care of yourself, tilty.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 10:07 PM
the US does respect free speech and civil rights, I can understand your disdain.

So I've heard.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/2/18/1361158139536/Julian-Assange-shown-at-t-008.jpg

S/V Laura Ellen
01-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Probably nothing to worry about Tilty.
Discharging an arrow is a minor charge compared to what these people have faced before.
It's not like they are being charged with a serious crime such as 'throwing used K-Cups in the garbage'.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 10:17 PM
The arrow incident is what got the police into the guys place. The charges, I believe, are more serious, because the search itself is what's being challenged. I'm there to justify the search, at least that's my take on it.

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Rape's your thing as long as they are fighting the great satan to the south, eh tilt o wheel?

It's "Tilt o whirl" I think.

Steve McMahon
01-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Unless you have strong ties to the hood, perhaps it's time to consider moving to a bit less dangerous place?

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 10:24 PM
:confused: Remind me Hugh, why do you hate me?

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Unless you have strong ties to the hood, perhaps it's time to consider moving to a bit less dangerous place?

much, MUCH easier to say than to do

Steve McMahon
01-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Rape's your thing as long as they are fighting the great satan to the south, eh tilt o wheel?

Mr Conaway, you really are a bore.

Steve McMahon
01-17-2014, 10:27 PM
much, MUCH easier to say than to do

I wasn't aware how familiar you were with Mr. Tilt's situation. Do tell.

Steve McMahon
01-17-2014, 10:28 PM
It's boor, not bore Mr. McMahon.

If I had meant boor that is what I would have written.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 10:33 PM

It's not the Hells Angels I'm dealing with. They seem to stay to themselves. It's some losers in a tattoo parlour.

I work in the neighbourhood too, it's called "The Film District" and it happens to be a little pocket near the lake closer to my Marina and Dinghy club than any other area.

I'm close to retiring and will definitely move then, but for now my proximity to work and play keeps my carbon footprint as small as possible.

Maybe I'll get one of them sword canes? :p

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Because you've rejected the great blessing that is US citizenship? You just don't understand how we know what's better for you?

Geeez Hugh, all I said was at least our beer is actually "brewed".

Steve McMahon
01-17-2014, 10:53 PM
It's not the Hells Angels I'm dealing with. They seem to stay to themselves. It's some losers in a tattoo parlour.

I work in the neighbourhood too, it's called "The Film District" and it happens to be a little pocket near the lake closer to my Marina and Dinghy club than any other area.

I'm close to retiring and will definitely move then, but for now my proximity to work and play keeps my carbon footprint as small as possible.

Maybe I'll get one of them sword canes? :p

Understood. I wish I had some advice that would be helpful but I don't. It's sad that a small portion of the population can spoil the joy of living in an otherwise great place.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm really not that worried about it, I just thought some of you guys might have some tips.

I remember as a kid my Dad having to be a witness to some guys that were running a speed boat on the river behind our house. The driver grew a beard, was unidentifiable and walked.

Maybe I'll get some clear glasses?

JimD
01-17-2014, 11:13 PM
I was served a few years ago in a domestic violence case. A young man decided to slap his 8 month pregnant girlfriend around in front of our house. I intervened and called 911. A year later the charges are stayed because the woman refused to corroborate the assault. Seems they kissed and made up.

Steve McMahon
01-17-2014, 11:25 PM
I was served a few years ago in a domestic violence case. A young man decided to slap his 8 month pregnant girlfriend around in front of our house. I intervened and called 911. A year later the charges are stayed because the woman refused to corroborate the assault. Seems they kissed and made up.

Sad. I know it's wrong, but in cases like that I wish we could intervene....with a baseball bat. (I have a daughter...)

oznabrag
01-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Because you've rejected the great blessing that is US citizenship? You just don't understand how we know what's better for you?

No. He has it right.

You wish to be a boor, but you are merely rude. Boorishness requires a certain energy and wit, and you seem to lack both.

The result of your constant and fruitless striving toward boorishness is what makes you such a bore, a failure at even that least desirable of social skills.

Pitiful, really.

purri
01-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Hmmm. I need to run this filter through the old OzPol threads.
No. He has it right.

You wish to be a boor, but you are merely rude. Boorishness requires a certain energy and wit, and you seem to lack both.

The result of your constant and fruitless striving toward boorishness is what makes you such a bore, a failure at even that least desirable of social skills.

Pitiful, really.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-18-2014, 03:30 AM
Plan A

Psalms 23:4

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.

I've used this line a few times now and it worked great for me.

Plan B

If that doesn't work, I break out my best Walt Kowalski line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6arlI-z61hU

That usually makes em think I'm crazy and they leave me alone.

Phillip Allen
01-18-2014, 07:52 AM

this must be one of those times when the 'right' thing to have done would to have pounded the guy into the hospital... mind you, I can say it a WHOLE lot easier than I ever could have done it. talk is cheap but such can make one reflect much later that perhaps it might have been the right thing to do... ah, well...

JimD
01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
I heard the arguing and looked out my window. The man was trying to walk away from the pregnant woman. He was pleading with her to just leave him alone, give him some space, let him go for a walk. She was having none of it. It went on for several minutes. Him trying to walk away, she stepping in front of him, blocking his path, going on and on. Several times he tried to get around her and away from her, begging her to get out of his way, his frustration obviously growing. I remember saying to myself as I watched 'Khrist, lady, why don't you just let him go? Gluing yourself in his face like this is clearly not helping your cause, whatever that might be.' Anyway, after she stands in his way for the tenth time or so, (and this only during the time I was watching. Who knows how long it was going on before I started watching?) he loses it and smacks her. That's when I called 911 and went out to intervene. When the cop car arrives they both try to run off together. I saw them on the street after the baby was born, side by side pushing a baby carriage. I hope they're ok.

Garret
01-18-2014, 11:53 AM
the US does respect free speech and civil rights, I can understand your disdain.

The "Patriot" Act, DOMA, NSA and such are great examples of just how much the US respects them.

As far as the OP goes - I wish you the best. Doing the right thing is not always easy - but it is the right thing. Best of luck to you sir.

Phillip Allen
01-18-2014, 03:26 PM
I heard the arguing and looked out my window. The man was trying to walk away from the pregnant woman. He was pleading with her to just leave him alone, give him some space, let him go for a walk. She was having none of it. It went on for several minutes. Him trying to walk away, she stepping in front of him, blocking his path, going on and on. Several times he tried to get around her and away from her, begging her to get out of his way, his frustration obviously growing. I remember saying to myself as I watched 'Khrist, lady, why don't you just let him go? Gluing yourself in his face like this is clearly not helping your cause, whatever that might be.' Anyway, after she stands in his way for the tenth time or so, (and this only during the time I was watching. Who knows how long it was going on before I started watching?) he loses it and smacks her. That's when I called 911 and went out to intervene. When the cop car arrives they both try to run off together. I saw them on the street after the baby was born, side by side pushing a baby carriage. I hope they're ok.

well... THAT changes a lot... there's no sanity in those sorts of 'fights'

johnw
01-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Mr. Webster disagrees:

5bore noun
Definition of BORE : one that causes boredom (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boredom): as
a : a tiresome person
b : something that is devoid of interest

5th definition, but not an uncommon usage. You shouldn't try to be clever, it doesn't suit you.

Stiletto
01-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Sad. I know it's wrong, but in cases like that I wish we could intervene....with a baseball bat. (I have a daughter...)

So you think that violence is acceptable in some cases?

JimD
01-18-2014, 06:31 PM
well... THAT changes a lot... there's no sanity in those sorts of 'fights'

It certainly paints a different picture than the simple fact that he hit her. But he still belted her in the mouth hard enough to draw blood when she was only a few weeks away from giving birth to their child. How does that old saying go? "Violence is for people who have run out of ideas"? Seemed to me like both of them had run out.

epoxyboy
01-18-2014, 06:59 PM
this must be one of those times when the 'right' thing to have done would to have pounded the guy into the hospital... mind you, I can say it a WHOLE lot easier than I ever could have done it. talk is cheap but such can make one reflect much later that perhaps it might have been the right thing to do... ah, well...
The first, last and only time I have ever tried to assist a woman in this situation, I had her screaming abuse at me (WTF?), and got punched in the head from behind, by one of the male assailants associates. Never again, unless it was my wife or daughter, in which case I would skip the softly, softly approach, and go straight to baseball bat diplomacy :mad:.

Pete

Oysterhouse
01-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Full Tilt-- Good to see you back my friend! The Bilge has been a bit stagnant and boring without you.

To comment on your top post-- Hold your head high and tell the truth, never be bullied by the implied retaliation of thugs and bullies; for to do so is to subjugate yourself to those less intelligent, less honorable and less moral than yourself.

From this forum I know you to be a strong man who does not cower from opposition, bullying or adversity. Conduct your real life with as much passion and tenacious fortitude as you do here and you will be fine.

Rod