PDA

View Full Version : our 'government(s)', what competant person would trust them

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 04:35 PM
http://www.news9.com/story/24458807/union-city-police-officer-arrested-for-stealing-gun-selling-to-felon

Tom Montgomery
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM
So you dislike the result of our system of representative democracy. It is far too messy for your taste.

Do you have an alternative to our governments? Or are you an anarchist?

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 04:38 PM
tom... you haven't had time to read it

Tom Montgomery
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Wrong, Poindexter.

I see the story as our government(s) working. It uncovered a crooked cop and arrested him.

But your thread title suggests that you have a far darker and cynical take. Which prompted my question.

Ian McColgin
01-17-2014, 04:44 PM
I read the story. Because one layer of law enforcement was corrupted, another had to act, and act it did. Very good result and I am stunned that you have a problem with the criminals being arrested.

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 04:45 PM
I read the story. Because one layer of law enforcement was corrupted, another had to act, and act it did. Very good result and I am stunned that you have a problem with the criminals being arrested.

do you think that 'corrupted' layer will go away now? I don't
further, I don't think that if anyone but a law officer had asked (demanded) the investigation that it would have happened...
law enforcement is a closed society

Tom Wilkinson
01-17-2014, 04:46 PM
So they arrested the thief and are prosecuting. Seems to be working. I guess the good cops that made the arrest are outweighed by the bad one they arrested?? Is that right?

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 04:48 PM
So they arrested the thief and are prosecuting. Seems to be working. I guess the good cops that made the arrest are outweighed by the bad one they arrested?? Is that right?

read my previous post

someone will be thrown under the bus and the 'public' will stop asking embarrassing questions

Keith Wilson
01-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Governments, every one of them, are entirely designed, operated, and staffed by human beings. They have this in common with every other human institution. Some human beings are dishonest, greedy,and corrupt. Some of them, in fact, are just downright scum. This is unlikely to change much. So what do you propose to do? How would you fix it?

Canoeyawl
01-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Governments, every one of them, are entirely designed, operated, and staffed by human beings.

In our system, there are republicans in that mix as well as humans

Tom Montgomery
01-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Phillip has a thing about cops.

There will always be some crooked cops. Just as there will always be some crooked masons, autoworkers, physicians, and (fill in the profession). This is a problem of human nature.

Phillip's dark, cynical assumption that "someone will be thrown under the bus and the 'public' will stop asking embarrassing questions" is typical of his... uh... eccentric point of view.

Canoeyawl
01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Phillip has a thing about cops.

That's because they have guns isn't it?

Keith Wilson
01-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Phillip has a thing about cops.He does. And indeed, some cops are pretty awful. It's a dreadful thing that we haven't been able to find enough find enough angels to staff our police departments. However, he doesn't ever have any suggestions about what to do about it. I don't think he's an anarchist. Maybe he just likes to complain.

wardd
01-17-2014, 05:05 PM
i see a story of 2nd amendment rights being trampled

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 07:50 PM
this thread has become infested with snipers... not many actually discussing the actual topic...

Tom Montgomery
01-17-2014, 07:54 PM
The topic being that no competant (sic) person would trust our government(s)?

And you think the linked article about a government (law enforcement) agency investigating, arresting and prosecuting a crooked cop supports that contention?

You bring the ridicule upon yourself, Phillip.

SMARTINSEN
01-17-2014, 08:03 PM
this thread has become infested with snipers... not many actually discussing the actual topic...

Got any solutions? To the problem of corruption and abuse of power by the police, that is.

bogdog
01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
It's a red state what do ya expect?

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Got any solutions? To the problem of corruption and abuse of power by the police, that is.

talk about it as much as possible... it's the beginning of any solution
there are many here who do not want it to be talked about... that is obvious... make your own conclusions about that

Ian McColgin
01-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I'll make a conclusion.

There is not one person here not outraged by police abuse though there are one or two on this Forum who will look for evidence that what appears to have been abuse was not. That's perfectly legit. They are in fact less defensive about police abuse than most of the overt gun fancy on this Forum about firearms deaths.

It's a good thing on this Forum when people coming at an example of either police abuse or of a firearms death can manage to discuss it. Just as it's a good thing when in a case of police committing a crime other police take action. Citizen involvement really matters but in this case citizen involvement is not what broke the case. Honest police work did.

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 08:54 PM
So what happened to the 'receiver of stolen goods' who was a convicted felon, unlawfully in possession of a firearm?

And why would he have contacted the 'victim', who was a cop, to get the stolen gun repaired?

There's a very strange triangle going on here and some important pieces of the puzzle are missing.

The 'Felon' was awfully chummy with both officers.

One sells him a gun and the other was supposed to fix it for him, hmmm?

Had the 'Felon' been a cop at one time?

I can't imagine such trust between two cops and a con unless the con was once a cop.

I don't read anything conspiratorial into the affair though. Cops are people too.

And it was cops that eventually made the arrest.

Mike

Full Tilt
01-17-2014, 09:39 PM
The weirdest thing is the 'victim cop' who was a friend of the con, and would have repaired his gun for him, is the one who made the complaint! How can he explain his association with the con?

If the con wasn't a brother in arms on 'the force', maybe these guys served together in the military?

Phillip Allen
01-17-2014, 10:23 PM
The weirdest thing is the 'victim cop' who was a friend of the con, and would have repaired his gun for him, is the one who made the complaint! How can he explain his association with the con?

If the con wasn't a brother in arms on 'the force', maybe these guys served together in the military?

that part of the story is unclear to me... prolly more to it

Glen Longino
01-17-2014, 11:17 PM

You're the biggest sniper in this place.
How dare you accuse others of sniping?
You should be ashamed of yourself!

Ian McColgin
01-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Who needs snipers?

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1525018_465737310215328_647191673_n.jpg

Tom Wilkinson
01-18-2014, 08:46 AM
there are many here who do not want it to be talked about... that is obvious... make your own conclusions about that

What a crock of sh!t

Phillip Allen
01-18-2014, 08:49 AM
What a crock of sh!t

that's a direct observation, Tom... do you really believe you're right about that or is your comment politically motivated?... that question is for your private consideration... answering here is not likely to be any different than what you've already stated

Tom Wilkinson
01-18-2014, 08:51 AM
No political motivation at all. The topic gets talked about plenty, just no in a manner that YOU happen to agree with. this thread is a perfect example. You posted something that is totally incongruous with the thread title, then get bent out of shape when it's pointed out to you.

Why do you only see bad cops and corruption when the bad cop is being held accountable?

Phillip Allen
01-18-2014, 09:32 AM
No political motivation at all. The topic gets talked about plenty, just no in a manner that YOU happen to agree with. this thread is a perfect example. You posted something that is totally incongruous with the thread title, then get bent out of shape when it's pointed out to you.

Why do you only see bad cops and corruption when the bad cop is being held accountable?

have you been here long enough to see the energy put into minimizing the corruption and saying it was small enough to be ignored... ? I'm talking about a 10 or 12 year arc of history I have personally witnessed in the bilge

Tom Wilkinson
01-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Read the join date on my post. Research isn't your forte is it?

Keith Wilson
01-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Re: our 'government(s)', what competent person would trust them?
this thread has become infested with snipers... not many actually discussing the actual topic...OK, Phillip, what is the actual topic? Is it the link you posted about a corrupt policemen being arrested, or your thread title in which you try to generalize this into distrusting all government ('government(s)' in scare quotes, even). The former is about real events: the guy really was arrested, and a good thing too, if he's guilty. The latter is a consistent theme of yours. Yes cops are sometimes corrupt. Yes, governments are sometimes incompetent or oppressive or both. Since I don't believe you are an anarchist (one who thinks we'd be better off without government), the question then becomes how can we make government less corrupt and better. That's a large and important question, one that people have been working on for thousands of years. I do not know anyone who thinks that even the best governments couldn't be improved; the worst are very bad indeed. Any thoughts?