PDA

View Full Version : Chinese pickup truck

john welsford
01-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I had to change my vehicle just recently, and was questioning my philosophy of buying a $4000 car and running it until it was a $2000 car, which typically takes about 3 years. At that the 15 yr old Japanese cars with 250,000 km on them seem to run reliably enough, and it makes for low capital involvement and very cheap running.
But things change, I will be doing a lot more mileage over the next few years, and will be carrying a load of tools and towing a lot, so wanted a pickup. Now, we dont see the big USA style pickups here other than a few enthusiasts who go to the trouble of getting them converted to right hand drive, we do tho have lots of the little Japanese pickups and the most common are 2.5 to 3 litre diesels.

I had a choice, I could just about scrape together enough to buy a brand new Chinese "Great Wall" http://www.greatwall.co.nz/showroom/v-series-single-cab

Or buy second hand. As it happened, a neighbor put his truck out with a for sale sign on it, he had been the fleet maintenance manager for a big outfit and the Mazda Bounty 2.5 litre diesel crew cab with cap was, although old, low mileage and well maintained. It was a steal at the price offered so now its mine. Not the liveliest vehicle on the road, but it tows well and is both very cheap to run and comfortable.

Just out of interest, a friend has one of the Chinese pickups, has had it for 2 years now, and its constantly on the go being used by several employees, so I asked him what it was like. Bear in mind that its less than half the price of a Toyota or Ford etc. both of which will be slightly higher spec and fitout.
He's very enthusiastic, never had a problem with it, it performs exactly as expected, the service dept at the agent is as good as any, and he'll be in for a second one later this year. He gave it as good a review as you can get, better than I had expected.

Are these available in the USA yet? And I wonder what impact they will have on the Japanese and American vehicle sales? It took the Japanese close to 20 years to really penetrate the USA auto market, but when they did they almost collapsed the big three manufacturers, the Chinese are at least as smart and I suspect wont take anywhere near as long.

John Welsford

LeeG
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
I doubt the Great Wall would do well given the engine is about 1/2 the size of a comparable truck in the US.

P-man
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Not available in the US. I wish they were.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Figment
01-17-2014, 02:35 PM
I doubt the Great Wall would do well given the engine is about 1/2 the size of a comparable truck in the US.

Less power (and a truck that can work with less power) may be their greatest advantage.

My optimistic side thinks that Ford at least is moving to prepare for such by bringing their Transit line to the US. I don't know if the others are making similar moves or not.

My realistic side thinks that they'll spend taxpayer-subsidized billions for protectionist legislation so they can stay the course.

Gerarddm
01-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Somewhat analogous, the Mahindra line of equipment from India , designed to do battle with the likes of John Deere and Kubota, has a following here in the US.

Chinese equipment or vehicles? Not here as far as I know.

john welsford
01-17-2014, 02:57 PM

I think that they are more than capable of changing the vehicles engine size or any other spec to suit a large market. My point is, considering what impact the Japanese manufacturers had on the Western carmakers, what are the Chinese likely to do?

By the way, I've driven one, the standard of finish is quite acceptable, it ran well, handled about how you'd expect and I could not really find fault with it.
I've seen comments on forums with mainly USA participants that have been very disparaging of Chinese cars, but had the impression that they were being posted by people who had no direct experience of them. I can tell you that these, and the related Chery cars, are very good value for money and there has been a lot of effort put into improvements in safety and reliability.

The Koreans carved out a section of the market very quickly, my impression is that these guys are on the brink of it.

John Welsford

LeeG
01-17-2014, 03:05 PM
My guess is that the potential for growth in the US market isn't that great compared to their own back yard.

Reynard38
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
GM will be bringing the new Colorado and Canyon to the US next year, supposedly with a diesel.

Figment
01-17-2014, 03:26 PM
from: http://www.cartalk.com/content/2014-detroit-auto-show-kitman-files

Chevrolet Colorado Pickup
Remember when you could buy small-size pickups from the makers of full-size pickups? They once roamed the land in force. But don't mistake the Colorado for one of those -- it's small only in comparison to the most hulking modern truck. Credit the arcane and not all-good Obama-era revisions to CAFE regulation. Crafted largely by the automobile industry, the new rules fully preserved the rights of carmakers to sell big trucks and crossovers, and in fact encourage bigger is better thinking. Maybe one day someone will wake up and again give consumers who need hauling capability a more wieldy and efficient choice.
If this hulk of a "compact pickup truck" is a car manufacturer's answer to recent fuel ecomony regulatory changes, it might be time to take regulation crafting out of the hands of the auto industry and give it back to the government.

I happen to wholeheartedly agree.

skuthorp
01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Ford and GM are stopping production here, Toyota will follow. Expectation amongst the motoring public is that the US will fill that side of the market but I think not. Korea, China, India, Indonesia, even Sth Africa. will. Maybe Mexico and Brazil?
Your market, without tariff interference will also. Do GM and Ford own OS plants, Sth America would be a logical placement it seems to me.

skuthorp
01-17-2014, 04:28 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?172690-Layoffs-at-Ford-Motor-Company-in-Ohio

Garret
01-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Somewhat analogous, the Mahindra line of equipment from India , designed to do battle with the likes of John Deere and Kubota, has a following here in the US.

Chinese equipment or vehicles? Not here as far as I know.

There are plenty of Chinese tractors, generators & the like sold in the US. Check eBay.

Mahindra was plagued by quality issues at first & that hurt them. Now they have too few dealers to really make it work.

I believe Chinese cars & trucks can make it here. Look how quickly the Koreans have impacted our market. 10 years or so from being laughed at to having a serious market share.

Mad Scientist
01-17-2014, 05:08 PM
No Chinese or Indian vehicles here (yet), but quite a few Daihatsu Hijets on the streets these days.

Tom

CliveP
01-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Maybe like their outboards.
Parsun was a great buy.
bought a 9 hp 6 years ago.
then couldn't get a different one 4 years ago.
Bought an excellant 2 hp 2 years ago.
want to upgrade to a 4 .no dealer network today.
They advertise a 5 hp electric, but can't get a price or anything!
Clive P

The Bigfella
01-17-2014, 05:14 PM
The decisions of the US manufacturers to close down their operations in Australia were cost-based. The same cycle will repeat in the US, sooner or later.

Thailand has been the source of a lot of our vehicles for quite a while. Some BMWs coming here are now manufactured in China, I believe.

Phil Y
01-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Quite a lot of Great wall vehicles in Oz-i have no direct experience of them-but a mate who has one seems happy with it

Reynard38
01-17-2014, 08:04 PM
from: http://www.cartalk.com/content/2014-detroit-auto-show-kitman-files

I happen to wholeheartedly agree.

The car companies create legislation? New to me.
I would love to see a truly compact diesel pickup sold here. Won't happen though. The vast majority of pickup drivers would have their sexuality questioned be their peers for driving one.
Given this I would gladly accept the next best thing. A Diesel Colorado that got 30mpg and wasn't quite the lumbering hulk as an F-150 or Silverado.
My daughter had had a 2006 Colorado for 5 years. It's a great size. Very usable but easy to park. I wish the new one would have similar dimensions, but I know it'll be bigger just as the Tacoma has grown.

LeeG
01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
I would love to see a truly compact diesel pickup sold here. Won't happen though. The vast majority of pickup drivers would have their sexuality questioned be their peers for driving one.
Given this I would gladly accept the next best thing. A Diesel Colorado that got 30mpg and wasn't quite the lumbering hulk as an F-150 or Silverado.
My daughter had had a 2006 Colorado for 5 years. It's a great size. Very usable but easy to park. I wish the new one would have similar dimensions, but I know it'll be bigger just as the Tacoma has grown.

Increase the cost of gasoline by $1 and it'll look possible.

Dan McCosh
01-18-2014, 12:03 PM
My daughter had had a 2006 Colorado for 5 years. It's a great size. Very usable but easy to park. I wish the new one would have similar dimensions, but I know it'll be bigger just as the Tacoma has grown. A diesel Colorado will follow the launch of the new truck this year. It's not the same as the overseas truck.