PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Ebay feature

rbgarr
01-15-2014, 06:54 AM
I recently noticed that Ebay shows what others have to bid to outbid me even if the current bid is nowhere near my highest automatic bid. Sniping apps are bad enough without advertising how high I'm willing to go! :mad:

Figment
01-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Well, their fees are tied to the final sale price on a lot of listings...

S/V Laura Ellen
01-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Where do you see this amount that the bidder has to bid to outbid your bid?
All I see is the line Enter $xxx.xx or more below the box where you enter a bid.
This is always a fixed amount over the current bid value (not your highest bid price).
Am I missing something?

Tom Wilkinson
01-15-2014, 12:21 PM
I haven't done enough bidding on ebay lately to have noticed this, but I only use buy it now or a snipe program so odds are I would never see it anyway.

I don't see any reason to use anything other than a bid sniper on ebay auctions. Decide on the price you are willing to pay, set it, forget it. If you get it for that price or less you did well. Anything else just runs the price up early.

Tom Wilkinson
01-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I did a quick search on this and I think what your seeing is the amount you would have to bid in order to increase your bid. Other bidders will see current bid plus the bid increment. Try logging out and looking at the same auction and see if the number changes.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding/Auction-page-shows-my-maximum-bid/qaq-p/16841973

rbgarr
01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Does the seller set the bid increment? I interpreted the "Enter $xx.xx to outbid" notice the way I did (in the op) because it shows the exact amount to outbid my highest auto-bid by one penny.

Tom Wilkinson
01-15-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't think anyone but you can see the amount you are talking about. Did you try looking at it without being logged in? What does it show then?

Concordia...41
01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
What's annoying to me is that things I searched for multiple years ago - iPad cover with pocket, Lenox Village - dominate the opening page. Still.

Phil Y
01-16-2014, 12:12 AM
What's annoying to me is that things I searched for multiple years ago - iPad cover with pocket, Lenox Village - dominate the opening page. Still.
Maybe you can fix this by deleting cookies, not sure.

skipper68
01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
I have seen this message when I put in a bid. The message will say "You have been outbid, do you want eBay to bid for you, to a certain price." It's a Bot bidding system now.
That sucks. The fun was waiting till 43 seconds and popping a large bid, to get it at the previous highest bid price.
As an aside. I use the Captains account to buy stuff there. I had $5.46 cents in eBay bucks. (You get so much $, depending on what you purchased.)
Well, they sent an email that anything under $5.00 at the end of the 3 months wont receive them.
Here comes the creepy part.
I ordered the DVD The Expendables, and Expendables 2.
The next morning on MY Facebook account it suggested I buy the 3rd one!
MY account. Not connected with him one bit. They used Data collecting on the FB page, is my guess. To know that eBay was sharing my info, or FB was mining my history was unsettling.
elf said Adblock, but I have that. It just shows what games your friends are playing, or there favorites.
Now I clear my cookies everyday. Even my YH email always says I need a secret question, as it does not recognize my Mac.