PDA

View Full Version : The TPP Is The End Of Democracy.......

seanz
01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
.......because it's not about free trade, it's about corporate control and the race to the bottom of financial regulation.

http://americablog.com/2013/11/bill-moyers-trans-pacific-partnership-free-trade-agreement-death-democracy.html

There's a link in there to a Bill Moyers piece about the TPP amongst other things.

For extra excitement I should say that it also threatens your second amendment rights......but I won't......because what will probably happen is New Zealanders will be forced to buy guns.

Got to try to fit in, it's the rules.
;)

skuthorp
01-14-2014, 03:16 PM
I agree completely, but our governments, being a55lickers to the US from way back, are likely to agree with anything the US corporations want. I suspect that everyone else will be more effected than the US is.

seanz
01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
True, but from the video, the USA won't be as unaffected as I first thought. I thought the US could push their regulations and practices onto other partners, now it's a two way street.

John Smith
01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
I would like to see transparency.

I'm also a bit tired of (and this is not a pro NAFTA point those who enter this debate and refer to NAFTA as if there was no outsourcing before NAFTA. When they talk that way, for me, they immediately lose credibility.

NAFTA was signed in '93, as I recall. I know it was Clinton. Outsourcing was SOP all through the Reagan/Bush years.

I like transparency and honesty.

PeterSibley
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
I agree completely, but our governments, being a55lickers to the US from way back, are likely to agree with anything the US corporations want. I suspect that everyone else will be more effected than the US is.

Oh goody, soon we'll see our smoking rates back up to US levels but it's good for business.

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
At any rate, it's the liberals like Senators Warren and Sanders who are really leading the fight against the TPP in this country. I am proud of them. On this (and several other matters) I am not proud of my president.

PeterSibley
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
At any rate, it's the liberals like Senators Warren and Sanders who are really leading the fight against the TPP in this country. I am proud of them. On this (and several other matters) I am not proud of my president.

This really shines a light on what is of real importance to your president, power to corporations.

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Sadly, in this and dealing with Wall Street Obama does show that, how shall I put it that leaves a shred of liberal honor on him no matter how tattered, when balancing controlling financial interests versus risking their ability to wreak more harm, he tries to compromise. Well, it's either that or he's nothing but a corporate shill after all.