PDA

View Full Version : Nest

ccmanuals
01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Anyone installed a Nest thermostat? Thinking about getting one.

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/

(BTW, Nest was just acquired by Google)

Gerarddm
01-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Heard an interesting commentary about this yesterday. The elegant Nest thermostat essentially monitors your patterns, knows when you are not home, etc. So, THEORETICALLY the info could be used to spy on you, in a way. Just another way that your privacy gets eroded, drip by drip.

I want to end my life in my woodshop with a polypropylene belt holding up my Carhartts, and the only electric devices I will have will be my bandsaw, table saw, and jointer. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

ccmanuals
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Yikes, not a picture I want in my head. :)

I want to end my life in my woodshop with a polypropylene belt holding up my Carhartts

Durnik
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Hey, they _are_ held up.. ;-)

'polypropylene belt' - the ever versatile, ever useful, rope. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

StevenBauer
01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
A client of mine has one and likes it. He was able to turn the thermostat up with his phone from the airport when he came back from the Keys.

Steven

bogdog
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Nest reminds me of a HAL 9000 a bit too much for comfort...http://loopingsheep.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/the-intellegent-robot-hal-9000.jpg
"Hey, Nest let's turn the heat up some" "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." "But, but Nest the inside temp is approaching freezing!" "I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do..."

ron ll
01-14-2014, 01:06 PM
They've also made some advances with smart smoke and CO detectors.

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2013/10/nest-black.jpg.662x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg

Concordia 33
01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I've had the nest thermostat for about 16 months and LOVE it.

ccmanuals
01-14-2014, 02:11 PM
I guess the key here is will it save dollars being spent for energy. On the surface I would say yes. I would not purchase this for it's "cool" value but if using smart tech I can save heating and cooling dollars.

ron ll
01-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Also don't overlook the gift market for devices like this. I would love to get either of these devices for Father's Day. (It's not likely however as I don't have any kids. :) )

bogdog
01-14-2014, 02:23 PM
I have three programmable Honeywells for different zones in our home with four different setting capabilities per day for both heating and cooling. I have a high efficiency boiler that supplies cast iron radiators that take about 3 seconds to heat up and it runs year round as it also supplies the domestic hot water. I have a separate high pressure cooling system that removes substantially more humidity from the air than a conventional low pressure system and thus runs significantly less. All I have to do is switch the thermostat from heating to cooling and back again when desired. I doubt the Nest would have a significant impact on our energy use.

daveboling
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Google purchases Nest for $3.2B:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/google-raises-some-privacy-issues-with-nest-buy-2014-01-13
"“I kind of think Google read ‘Big Brother’ and took it as a career goal,” Enderle said. “Long-term privacy concerns, given this is Google, would revolves around knowing when you are home and what you are doing there through the device sensors. Given Google’s hunger for information, future products would have far more sensors, cameras and other technologies that cold eventually create privacy concerns.” - Rob Enderle, president of technology researcher firm the Enderle Group.

Google Claus:
They know when you are sleeping,
They know when you're awake....

I'm not saying they will, but I won't say they can't or won't. I work with small sensing devices and you might be surprised what information can be gathered in something as small as a thermostat (sound, motion/activity detection/images, etc.).

Dryfeet
01-14-2014, 05:50 PM
The best thing about the NEST for me is that it makes setting a programmed menu very very easy. Temporary changes are easy as well. That I can adjust the temperature when I'm on the way home from a trip is an added bonus. I love mine. Took less than 10 minutes to install and set up. No more trying to figure out which mode I'm in or what day I'm changing the temperature or having to cycle through the week again because I held the button down too long.

The 'away' sensor is disabled because I seldom go down the hall near it and it always thinks I'm away. Can't say that it saves any energy except it's easy to remotely adjust if you go away and forget to turn it down. Plus, the wife can kick it up or down from her office in the basement.