PDA

View Full Version : Post Racial America

Ian McColgin
01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
http://www.commondreams.org/sites/commondreams.org/files/imce-images/black_man_saywhat-500x600.jpg

Keith Wilson
01-13-2014, 06:34 PM
FWIW, African-Americans are about 3.8% of the population of Monongalia County, but even leaving out women and children, that's over 1000 black men.

CK 17
01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Ah, he probably looked at a white woman. . . .

PeterSibley
01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
FWIW, African-Americans are about 3.8% of the population of Monongalia County, but even leaving out women and children, that's over 1000 black men.

Hmm, Half 3.8% is 1.9%, correct for age and you come back to say 1% of the population . It may be non PC but it is a reasonable identifier in that situation.

Ian McColgin
01-13-2014, 07:09 PM
No. It's not even remotely reasonable.

Like what the . . . is "some suspicious activity" ?

Will any "black man" due?

purri
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Of course...

Better the county be renamed "Mongoloid " to match their retarded faculties.

Keith Wilson
01-13-2014, 07:16 PM
but it is a reasonable identifier in that situation.No it isn't. Without some other identifiers, that's still over 1000 people.

PeterSibley
01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
No. It's not even remotely reasonable.

Like what the . . . is "some suspicious activity" ?

Will any "black man" due?

I suspect that if you were seeking to interview a person in relation to an offence you would be a fool not to use an obvious identifier. If it were reversed and there were only 3.8% of the population white would saying "white fella " be wrong ?

Keith Wilson
01-13-2014, 07:19 PM
No, it's not unreasonable to identify him as black; it would be stupid not to. It's unreasonable to identify him only as black, with no further details about anything.

PeterSibley
01-13-2014, 07:22 PM
No, it's not unreasonable to identify him as black; it would be stupid not to. It's unreasonable to identify him only as black, with no further details about anything.

If no further details were known? After that comes detective work as in how do you identify one man out of an entire population. That gets done regularly but it has to be a huge step to be able to refine your search to 1% of the population.

Ian McColgin
01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's reasonable that at least they are not looking for black women and black children who might or might not be performing "some suspicious activity."

For those not familiar with racism in America, being a black man in many parts of our fair nation is by itself "some suspicious activity."

PeterSibley
01-13-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm aware of that Ian and feel that my comments while seeming quite rational to me are running against the tide.

Keith Wilson
01-13-2014, 07:31 PM
If no further details were known? More details are always known, like what the 'suspicious activity' was? Time and place? "A black man seen looking into multiple back windows of houses around 11 PM on October 23rd on the 1200 block of Elm Street" would make sense.

Ian McColgin
01-13-2014, 07:33 PM
The bill board flyer stands on its own. You may speculate on suspicious activity but like me you have no idea.

PeterSibley
01-13-2014, 07:36 PM
More details are always known, like what the 'suspicious activity' was? Time and place? "A black man seen looking into multiple back windows of houses around 11 PM on October 23rd on the 1200 block of Elm Street" would make sense.

That type of information seldom seems to be released here, perhaps the US differs . Here it would be "Police seeking are a Caucasian male, early 20's to assist with their enquiries." Substitute ''ME appearance'' or '' Aboriginal'' and the fur does begin to fly but it is an identifier and assuming a crime has been committed it would be remiss to omit it.

Durnik
01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
early 20's

the type of modifier blatantly missing from the flyer - as are 'height/weight/clothing/facial hair etc..

I would have thought indigenous in Australia have problems similar to blacks in the U.S. - be that as it may, the flyer reeks of "(black man) best be out of town before the sun sets"..

Further - if we are looking for one man out of 1% of the population, it's not unreasonable to presume there are a fair number more members of the (discounting all blacks) 96.2% who were 'involved in some suspicious activity'.. where are their flyers?

enjoy
bobby

CWSmith
01-13-2014, 09:41 PM
A friend was helping restore the neighborhood pond. He's a black veteran (wounded twice) and fish farmer and very well known to the local natural resources people as a pioneer in pond restoration. I notified the community, but someone contacted natural resources to say there was a suspicious looking black man hanging around our pond. They laughed their asses off! Not everyone is stupid, although the Monongalia County Sheriff's Office isn't as lucky.

bogdog
01-13-2014, 10:20 PM
WVU is in Monongalia Co. They have African-American students, but it's a party school so I'd round up the whole student body for suspicious activity.

SMARTINSEN
01-14-2014, 08:11 AM
It was the newspaper copy editor's mistake.

The story started at the blog Balloon Juice by John Cole, who lives in WV, and it evidently went viral after that.

Here is the rest of the story:

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2014/01/13/good-news-from-the-cjr/

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Thank you for the follow up Smartinsen. It's interestingly good that so much of the community took this incredible newspaper mistake and managed to make fun of it, rather than rounding up all the black men in town.

Durnik
01-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks, Steve - your googlefu is better than mine! I missed that article when I went looking for info.

I note the story refers to an "idiotic copy editor".. Yep.

peace
bobby

Keith Wilson
01-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Another example of 'never attribute to malice what can be explained by blundering'.

Durnik
01-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Another example of "I got caught, make excuses".

ETA: most of this stuff is so unconscious the people who do have absolutely no awareness of doing so.

Here's the end of an article (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/12/america-racism-subtle-dangerous-new-york) -

Gone is the overt, violent, and legal racism of my childhood. It has been replaced by a subtler version.

It is a racism that is easier to ignore, easier to deny, and consequently almost as dangerous.

While the powers that be (the sheriff et al) are skilled at not publicly voicing the 'wrong thing', that wrong thing is very much on their mind - and an 'idiotic copy editor' voiced them.

Or, find some more sand.

peace
bobby

bobbys
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the follow up Smartinsen. It's interestingly good that so much of the community took this incredible newspaper mistake and managed to make fun of it, rather than rounding up all the black men in town.

I find it Intresting you blamed all America.

Better stick to your bum of the month wayward priest Tactic to blame Catholicism.

Gerarddm
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Not from The Onion, hey? Pathetic.

delecta
01-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Wow, no apology for what you insinuated in the op? I would find it interestingly good if you did, I won't hold my breath considering but when they round up all the race baiters in bilge don't be surprised if they come for you first. :p

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
You are wrong to think the post was in any way race baiting. The person Smartisen found who tracked down the editorial error that led to the printing did a real service in showing more of the story, which turns out even more interesting than simple racism. It was a real service to show us the rest of the story and I am in no way sorry that the rest of the story has been revealed.

bobbys
01-14-2014, 12:34 PM
You are wrong to think the post was in any way race baiting. The person Smartisen found who tracked down the editorial error that led to the printing did a real service in showing more of the story, which turns out even more interesting than simple racism. It was a real service to show us the rest of the story and I am in no way sorry that the rest of the story has been revealed.
If a conservitive had done something like this they would have been run off the forum.

There was no link to the whole of America.
Your the one that added the whole nation.

Now you cannot even see the wrong.
Why are you race baiting?

bobbys
01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Will any black man do? :):)
will any fake story do ?

bobbys
01-14-2014, 03:21 PM
When I made a mistake by posting a story that was not true, libs jumped all over me, seeing my link was false I said sorry gang and wrote the blog that they were wronged reported back.

Ian do what's right I will delete my posts here, I hate to think you would stick by a link that's incorrect.

Soundbounder
01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
When I made a mistake by posting a story that was not true, libs jumped all over me, seeing my link was false I said sorry gang and wrote the blog that they were wronged reported back.

Ian do what's right I will delete my posts here, I hate to think you would stick by a link that's incorrect.Ditch the victim routine and quit acting like a jerk.

bobbys
01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Ditch the victim routine and quit acting like a jerk.
So you agree with any story no matter how false.?

pefjr
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Ditch the victim routine and quit acting like a jerk.bobbys is 100% right. I didn't post on this thread earlier this morning, because I smelled a rat. Ian could not smell the rat, because he wanted to have the story too bad. He doesn't have to admit it. The fact that he does not, tells a story bigger than the editor's error. The fact that so many have and more will defend him tells a story. A story already familiar to many of us.

Soundbounder
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Both of you need to grow up. YOU ARE NOT VICTIMS!!!
Instead of acting like babies, go back and read posts #21 and 28

YEEEESH

PeterSibley
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
I find it Intresting you blamed all America.

Better stick to your bum of the month wayward priest Tactic to blame Catholicism.

Bearing in mind a current Royal Commission here ongoing , the above is an appalling choice of words Bobbys. Catholicism isn't looking too flash. http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/

Keith Wilson
01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Oh, get over it. Ian posted the original notice without comment. It really did appear exactly as shown. The reason for it was appears to be just a screwup, and when SMartinsen posted a link explaining that, Ian thanked him. What do you want, blood? Stop whining.

Full Tilt
01-14-2014, 03:54 PM

YEEEESH

Yeeeesh is right.

Mr. McColgin delights in playing with fire.

He is a master baiter. Just ask him.

Mike

bobbys
01-14-2014, 03:54 PM

YEEEESH
It's not my credibility at stake.

pefjr
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Instead of acting like babies,
YEEEESHExcellent effort to re-direct. Fail.

bobbys
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Oh, get over it. Ian posted the original notice without comment. It really did appear exactly as shown. The reason for it was appears to be just a screwup, and when SMartinsen posted a link explaining that, Ian thanked him. What do you want, blood?
T he story is false I just want I an to preserve his integrity, I already said I will retract any post if he does the right thing, When he found out it was wrong he doubled down, D o you wish any false stories to be posted here?

Full Tilt
01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
"Preserve his integrity"??? :D

John Smith
01-14-2014, 04:07 PM
No it isn't. Without some other identifiers, that's still over 1000 people.

He was a tall, short guy.

John Smith
01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
If no further details were known? After that comes detective work as in how do you identify one man out of an entire population. That gets done regularly but it has to be a huge step to be able to refine your search to 1% of the population.

We're assuming he's a local?

Does this description allow the cops to stop every black man?

John Smith
01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
the type of modifier blatantly missing from the flyer - as are 'height/weight/clothing/facial hair etc..

I would have thought indigenous in Australia have problems similar to blacks in the U.S. - be that as it may, the flyer reeks of "(black man) best be out of town before the sun sets"..

Further - if we are looking for one man out of 1% of the population, it's not unreasonable to presume there are a fair number more members of the (discounting all blacks) 96.2% who were 'involved in some suspicious activity'.. where are their flyers?

enjoy
bobby

Perhaps this suspect had no height or weight.

delecta
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I think it is quite telling that Ian didn't comment in his original post, nothing like a hit and run c&p. I also saw that the the link in the post that explained what happened was posted before this thread was started, seems like a lack of research on Ian's part which is unusual but when you're trolling or race baiting you need to run with what you have.

I'm sorry I brought it up, it seemed to me as race baiting and if Ian says it wasn't I'll say nice job of trolling Ian.

Full Tilt
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
SOP
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?171282-Celebrating-Mandala&highlight=Mandala

PeterSibley
01-14-2014, 04:18 PM
We're assuming he's a local?

Does this description allow the cops to stop every black man?

I would assume that (prior to the revaluation of the mistake) that police would have some reason to advertise in such a manner ? No other information or no information that they wished to publicly disclose. I didn't immediately assume racism.... perhaps I should have .

delecta
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
SOP
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?171282-Celebrating-Mandala&highlight=Mandala

Not the same, keep digging.

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
I do not believe there is value to deleting posts and I certainly don't pay even a little attention to an offer of reciprocal deletion as a price for some behavior. I have made errors here and said so. I have also had occasion to apologize to individuals and said so. I did not delete the cause of those offenses since I do not accept such pretense as a substitute for honestly admitting my history, mistakes and all. Were I sorry about anything in this thread, I would say so. I'd not expect anyone to delete anything.

I don't know if it will be understood or accepted but allow me to explain:

The story was not false. The newspaper really printed what was shown.

A researcher with real drive and resourcefulness dug behind, even calling to the town's police since prior to his work there was no internet trail, and got out the rest of the story; and a Forum member found that to share with us all.

Importantly, it was not the police who caused the story and more importantly it appears that most of the town took it, with some humor, as the mistake it was. The story remains a wry comment on "post racial" America and, with the full story revealed and a chance for fuller comment and reaction, it's a much more interesting and articulate comment than at first appeared.

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Looking again at Smartisen's link, I see it was posted by Ballon Juice about an hour and twenty minutes before I made the OP. I'd not gotten the story from Ballon Juice and just a fast google did not pop other news stories at the time. I must say that I'm impressed with Ballon Juice's prompt printing of CJR's research and I want to learn more about that site. I'm not much on blog sites but they appear interesting. So thank you not only for the rest of the story but also for an interesting new (to me) sourse of information.

Ian McColgin
01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
One other clarification: I did not make comment on the OP but in later posts I did comment on the reactions of other posters. Both those others and myself were operating on the original understanding of the story as it first appeared. In light of the fact that the story was really an editorial mistake and the deeper comment is about reactions, all of those comments back and forth shed light on the issues.

Soundbounder
01-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Looking again at Smartisen's link, I see it was posted by Ballon Juice about an hour and twenty minutes before I made the OP. I'd not gotten the story from Ballon Juice and just a fast google did not pop other news stories at the time. I must say that I'm impressed with Ballon Juice's prompt printing of CJR's research and I want to learn more about that site. I'm not much on blog sites but they appear interesting. So thank you not only for the rest of the story but also for an interesting new (to me) sourse of information.

Not Good Enough Ian !

You need to get down on your knees and admit that you re a race-baiting, pointy headed, east coast liberal weenie who takes great pleasure in spreading vicious lies. You also need to acknowledge that racism does not exist in this country.
Then you need to apologize to every American. And you need to apologize (with extra sugar on top) to every racist in America who was deeply traumatized by by your blatant attack on them.

Lastly, you need to start a thread about how wrong you are

If you do all of these things, maybe in a week or two we will drop the subject. :p

delecta
01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
If you do all of these things, maybe in a week or two we will drop the subject. :p

Friggin' liberal judges. :D

pefjr
01-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Friggin' liberal judges. :DYeah, I think Ian should be banned , do 6 mo. hard labor, and since Sound man is his lawyer, he can do 6 also.

delecta
01-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I think Ian should be banned , do 6 mo. hard labor, and since Sound man is his lawyer, he can do 6 also.

I got some hard labor, both of them to Camden Maine and restore Delecta. She's only a 30 footer so it can't be seen as cruel and unusual. I'll feed them well and depending on output there might be some rum.

How does one become a judge around these parts?

Glen Longino
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Oh, get over it. Ian posted the original notice without comment. It really did appear exactly as shown. The reason for it was appears to be just a screwup, and when SMartinsen posted a link explaining that, Ian thanked him. What do you want, blood? Stop whining.

"Stop whining."

BobBS and Peffer and delecta and Tilty, stop whining? Ha!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! :DThat's a goodun!!!!:DLMAO

delecta
01-14-2014, 06:08 PM
"Stop whining."

BobBS and Peffer and delecta and Tilty, stop whining? Ha!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! :DThat's a goodun!!!!:DLMAO

You've obviously been into the rum, produce your time sheet for the day or you'll be quite sober tomorrow, oh wait, you haven't been sentenced to working on my boat.......you get a pass this time.

Don't stray again or ......I got nothing. :ycool: