PDA

View Full Version : Positive environmental activism

Steve McMahon
01-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I have a lot of respect for how Neil Young is channeling his energy & money in helping raise the issue of oil sands exploitation by helping the first nations raise money to fight it in the courts.

Young visited the oilsands just outside of Fort McMurray last year, and after being shocked by the image of the vast crater-like impact of the oilsands on the land an image he compared to the landscape of Hiroshima after it was hit by a nuclear bomb in 1945 he decided to take action.
The Canadian rocker is now holding four benefit concerts in support of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation (ACFN) and its fight against further oilsands development. The expansion of Shell Canada's Jackpine Mine was approved (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/potentially-damaging-jackpine-oilsands-mine-expansion-ok-d-by-ottawa-1.2454849)by regulators last month.
Full story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/neil-young-benefit-tour-inspires-ex-oilsands-worker-1.2493046

seanz
01-12-2014, 12:54 PM
You're just saying that because he's Canadian and there's no seals basking on the oil sands.............;)

Heard about these concerts and would really like to be at one. Are you going?

Steve McMahon
01-12-2014, 01:20 PM
You're just saying that because he's Canadian and there's no seals basking on the oil sands.............;)

Heard about these concerts and would really like to be at one. Are you going?

I wish I could go. I'm a big fan of Young's music and his attitude. A little far for me though, the closest concert is more than 1/2 way across the country away, and it's a pretty big country.

chas
01-12-2014, 04:44 PM
"A little far for me though, the closest concert is more than 1/2 way across the country away"

Odd he didn't hold one in St John's. That would have resulted in some headlines, and controversy. / Jim

Chip-skiff
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
As long as they don't demonstrate or hang banners or occupy anything (remember Wounded Knee?)

Then they'll be law-breakers, creating corporate discomfort and deserving the harshest possible penalties.

Steve McMahon
01-12-2014, 10:05 PM
"A little far for me though, the closest concert is more than 1/2 way across the country away"

Odd he didn't hold one in St John's. That would have resulted in some headlines, and controversy. / Jim

I wish he would have, then I could probably have attended. I'm not sure that it would have caused much controversy in St. John's though, despite the number of oil sands workers that come from the rock.

Steve McMahon
01-12-2014, 10:12 PM
As long as they don't demonstrate or hang banners or occupy anything (remember Wounded Knee?)

Then they'll be law-breakers, creating corporate discomfort and deserving the harshest possible penalties.

You've got it backwards. As long as they don't endanger the lives of the workers and disrupt the lives of innocent bystanders. Demonstrate and hang banners on Bay Street and Wall Street. Interrupt the suit's lives.

In this case I believe they are indeed causing the maximum corporate discomfort while at the same time raising funds for a proper legal challenge.

Chip-skiff
01-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Can't trust those injuns.

Nor rock stars, neither.

Let alone trust Canadian courts to rule against any sort of resource exploitation.