PDA

View Full Version : Cool internet find - my grandfather's college yearbook

hokiefan
01-11-2014, 11:28 PM
This evening I found my grandfather's college yearbook on the Va Tech site in the archives. This was my mother's father, he graduated from Va Tech class of 1922. Found him early in the book, turns out he was executive editor of that years Bugle, as they call it. I never knew that. I recognized him in the picture right off, despite being a very different looking face from the 70 year old grandfather I knew. The guy who became his business partner was on the business staff of the yearbook.

I didn't expect to recognize any other names in the book but I was surprised. A good chunk of the faculty in those days ended up getting academic buildings and dorms named after themselves. One of them was still teaching at Va Tech when my dad started there in 1945, I remember Dad talking about Bosco Rasche's hatred of soph-A-mores.

Looking through the pictures of the campus was stunning. I know it was 56 years before I showed up in 1978, but I only recognized one building. And the drillfield, one of the signature landmarks of the Va Tech campus was no where to be seen. They tell me I wouldn't recognize a lot of what is there now, as I haven't been back in years. But it is hard to believe the change is as great as what I saw in those pictures this evening. A fascinating peak back into my history.

Cheers,

Bobby

The Bigfella
01-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Good find. I suppose I should go back and take a look at my first uni some day

bogdog
01-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Good find. I suppose I should go back and take a look at my first uni some dayI don't have any pictures of mine, I think it was a 16 incher... http://www.bikeforest.com/large_wheel_unicycle.jpg

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
I found a Yale Yearbook covering those years between 1872-76. Found that my great grandfathers attended. Different years, different home towns. Always wondered if they knew each other as the school was a bit smaller then.

hokiefan
01-14-2014, 12:16 AM
I found a Yale Yearbook covering those years between 1872-76. Found that my great grandfathers attended. Different years, different home towns. Always wondered if they knew each other as the school was a bit smaller then.

Funny how those things go. My dad had one of my uncles as a graduate assistant instructor several years before he met my mom. It really is a small world.

On my mom's side my grandfather and two uncles are Va Tech Mechanical Engineering grads, as was Dad. All of their pictures were in the hall of Randolph Hall watching over me while I was there.

Cheers,

Bobby

Spin_Drift
01-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Hey Bobby, FANTASTIC, exciting find. So glad you found it.

Also Jamió great that you found your great grandfather's yearbook.

LeeG
01-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I guess things do change in our absence. Dad filmed parts of his honeymoon in Dubrovnik around 1950. By pure coincidence my ex and I traveled through during our honeymoon in 1986. Where he filmed fields, farms and dirt roads I saw apt buildings homes and shopping centers.

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Hey Bobby, FANTASTIC, exciting find. So glad you found it.

Also Jami— great that you found your great grandfather's yearbook.Spin.. I just have to figure out which g grandfather had the book.:)