PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo mail message changed after delivery

bluedog225
01-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I got an email from Amazon for a coffee grinder I've been looking at it was priced at $41. I put it in my wish list to review the next morning. When I went to the email the next day, the price listed inside the email from Amazon changed to $49. I didn't know they could change the contents of the delivered and read message.

do any of the computer literate folks here know if there some setting to prevent this? Seems wrong.

Yeadon
01-11-2014, 10:58 AM
The price in the email changed, or the price changed on your wish list (on the website)? It's more likely that the price was updated on the website. It's less likely that the price was updated in the email, but not impossible.

I don't think there's any setting you can mess with, in either case. It is weird. I'd agree.

wardd
01-11-2014, 11:10 AM
never ever respond to unsolicited email in any way whatsoever

Durnik
01-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I suspect the letter you received was in html - & (at least some of) the contents were on an Amazon server, subject to change at their discretion. Kinda like I can post a link to a photo on this forum & change the picture at that link tomorrow. The photo displayed on this site will change, even tho I made no changes on this forum.

Personally, I despise html e-mail & have my clients set up to disallow all external links. Makes, sometimes, for a relatively empty e-mail, but no-one is following whether or not I read 'their' e-mail by using web-beacons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_tracking). Essentially, Amazon knew you looked at the email & were trying to pressure you into buying before the price rose too high. Welcome to the (real) Brave, New, World.

enjoy
bobby

Yeadon
01-11-2014, 12:03 PM
never ever respond to unsolicited email in any way whatsoever

If he got it from Amazon, he asked for it. Good tip, nonetheless.

wardd
01-11-2014, 12:22 PM
If he got it from Amazon, he asked for it. Good tip, nonetheless.

you can go on amazon and elect not to recieve

bluedog225
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Interesting. Yes, it changed in the email. Good to know. Thanks

bluedog225
01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
REI does something similar. When an item is out of stock, even a wildly popular product, it just doesn't show up on their site. Instead you're left wondering whether the product was ever carried by them and you make a selection from the remaining projects that are available. Seems dangerous to a hard earned brand name to play games like that. Trying to change our perception of the reality.

hokiefan
01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
REI does something similar. When an item is out of stock, even a wildly popular product, it just doesn't show up on their site. Instead you're left wondering whether the product was ever carried by them and you make a selection from the remaining projects that are available. Seems dangerous to a hard earned brand name to play games like that. Trying to change our perception of the reality.

The reality is they want to make a sale, any sale, today. That is better than letting you wait for the product to be back instock, and you possibly finding it through some other supplier in the meantime.

Cheers,

Bobby

Jim Bow
01-11-2014, 06:11 PM
And, of course, you were absolutely sure it really was from Amazon.

Jimmy W
01-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I have noticed that with some items, if you leave them on your wishlist for a while without buying it, then they will lower the price to try to get you to buy. Sometimes, I will buy at the lowered price.

Yeadon
01-11-2014, 06:39 PM
REI does something similar. When an item is out of stock, even a wildly popular product, it just doesn't show up on their site. Instead you're left wondering whether the product was ever carried by them and you make a selection from the remaining projects that are available. Seems dangerous to a hard earned brand name to play games like that. Trying to change our perception of the reality. That's weird. Usually it just says "out of stock" in red type.

If an email offered a product and it wasn't on the site when you got there, that's a frustrating experience. People get irritated and never come back. Smart retailers know that. Mistakes happen, though.

Canoeyawl
01-11-2014, 10:57 PM
I have noticed that with some items, if you leave them on your wishlist for a while without buying it, then they will lower the price to try to get you to buy. Sometimes, I will buy at the lowered price.

With Amazon this seems to work, I have bought planer knives, table saw blades and etc at half price a month or two later by doing exactly that. I put the items in my cart and then leave them for a while, when I take the item out of my cart a "sale" comes up.

hokiefan
01-11-2014, 11:13 PM
And, of course, you were absolutely sure it really was from Amazon.

I received an email today from "Bank of America" saying there was evidence of fraudulent charges on my account. They wanted me to click a link to verify my identity to help increase the account security. I have a BofA account, it is not one I ever use, and BofA doesn't have that email. In addition the email's author butchered the grammar, including a "their" for "there".

No clicky the link, only clicky DELETE.

Cheers,

Bobby

Donn
01-11-2014, 11:20 PM
I received an email today from "Bank of America" saying there was evidence of fraudulent charges on my account. They wanted me to click a link to verify my identity to help increase the account security. I have a BofA account, it is not one I ever use, and BofA doesn't have that email. In addition the email's author butchered the grammar, including a "their" for "there".

No clicky the link, only clicky DELETE.

Cheers,

Bobby

It would have been better to forward the email to BoA's phishing department. The banks actively pursue these frauds.

BOA-pfishing<abuse@bankofamerica.com>

wardd
01-12-2014, 02:09 AM
i may have passed up a lot of money in african banks