PDA

View Full Version : Dakar 2014

The Bigfella
01-09-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm not getting live coverage, but from what I'm reading, this year's Dakar is pretty tough. Its all relative, of course, as any Dakar is tough... but this one is a step up.

Two journalists covering the event killed, unfortunately, when their vehicle went over the edge of a road. Australia's Ben Grabham, riding a KTM, is also out after going over the edge and ending up 100 metres down the mountain. He's banged up, but OK.

Honda's Goncalves is out - one of many, many retirements. KTM's Coma in the lead

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1478963_697090410331036_563774827_n.jpg

purri
01-10-2014, 01:11 AM
The new PD is a whole new level above that of Africa. I watch it "religiously".

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Silly name for the event.

Needs a new one.

moTthediesel
01-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Here in the States, we used to get good coverage of the Dakar on the late, great, SPEEDVISION. My boys and I always looked forward to it as the start of the motorsport year. Then of course, FUX network bought it, turned in into Speed TV, and then slowly morphed it into nothing but NASCRAP -- then made it disappear completely.

So now no more Dakar here, or WRC, or Moto GP, or WSB, etc. etc. Bah humbug....

Tom

moTthediesel
01-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Hey -- I found coverage on NBCSP -- hot damn!

The Bigfella
01-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Translation from the Spanish press

At 08:30 am this morning, the team broom truck coming toward the position of runner # 122 in order to recover (at kilometer 143 of the 5th special stage between Chilecito and San Miguel de Tucumán), discovered the body of Eric Pallas, Belgian pilot jet # 122.
Both the circumstances and causes of death are being analyzed by the deputy prosecutor of Dr. Analia Castro Massucco of Belen, Catamarca Province.
He did not get any warning to the organizers. Eric had passed the point of water supplies in the afternoon.
pilot's family was advised in the course of the morning by the organization.
It was the 11th participation in the Dakar Eric Pallas, 50, this year I had the ambition to win in the category of amateurs. He knew perfectly proof of that through the years, had become pillar thanks to his enthusiasm and seriousness.
It is with great sadness that the organizers and the entire family of Dakar presented his condolences to the family and friends of Eric.

purri
01-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Ok, call it "Personality Disorder".

Needs a new one.

Old Dryfoot
01-12-2014, 02:48 AM
Hey -- I found coverage on NBCSP -- hot damn!

I've watched it whenever I can find it, but coverage is seriously lacking in my market.

The Bigfella
01-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Another win (and second) for KTM. All three podium positions to Mini in the cars. Talking to a neighbour, who was asked to go again this year, but didn't (he built and crewed a car last year), he says the Mini is tube chassis, BMW diesel engine... not much Mini in it at all.

I only saw a fraction of the coverage this year.

The Bigfella
01-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Wiki gives a list of the deaths over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dakar_Rally_fatal_accidents

More non-competitors than competitors (70+ in total, an average of two a year, with 27 of them being competitors). Other sites claim more deaths.

Of the competitor deaths, the causes vary from heart attacks, infection, accidents (including being hit by a police car), a land mine and shootings and one from a pulmonary edema, having run out of fuel and a search not starting in time... they found him 3 days later. With non-competitors, there's been bus and helicopter crashes that claimed five lives each.

No-one said its easy out there.

Paul Pless
01-19-2014, 07:17 PM

Needs a new one.yup

The Bigfella
01-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Needs a new one.

yup

Its a brand.

No different to calling any soda a "coke", any tissue a "kleenex".

No different to Toyota naming an SUV a "Sahara".

Oh yeah.... what does NASCAR stand for again? National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. Now there's something that needs a new name.

The Bigfella
01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
KTM have won the last 13 times in a row. BMW, Honda and Yamaha have each won it 3 times in a row (Yamaha twice). I reckon Honda might get it next year.

Some of the racers I talk to think its getting too technical. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the Baja race.... with a helicopter per competitor - outside assistance, etc.

The Bigfella
01-21-2014, 05:51 AM
I thought I'd bump this one again for Paul.

I'm interested to hear how he equates the Dakar and NASCAR naming issues.

Can't have you moping about your weather without getting you to turn your mind to more interesting issues.

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
To the best of my knowledge, NASCAR has never held an event at one venue and called it after an event at another venue.

If the Dakar rally was only going to be held in South America once due to concerns over the safety of the competitors and fans that's one thing, but this is beginning to look like a permanent fixture in Southern South America, and Argentina, Chile, and Bolivia deserve the name recognition that goes with hosting such an event.

As far as branding goes, brand names often change when they are no longer relevant, especially if that brand is related to a relatively obscure event.

To be honest the top tier competitiveness of the event has fallen off a bit along with what was once really good television coverage in the last decade and I've lost interest in it, no matter which continent its being held on.

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 06:12 AM
That current is a MUCH tougher gig.but for the lack of land mines

The Bigfella
01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
To the best of my knowledge, NASCAR has never held an event at one venue and called it after an event at another venue.

If the Dakar rally was only going to be held in South America once due to concerns over the safety of the competitors and fans that's one thing, but this is beginning to look like a permanent fixture in Southern South America, and Argentina, Chile, and Bolivia deserve the name recognition that goes with hosting such an event.

As far as branding goes, brand names often change when they are no longer relevant, especially if that brand is related to a relatively obscure event.

To be honest the top tier competitiveness of the event has fallen off a bit along with what was once really good television coverage in the last decade and I've lost interest in it, no matter which continent its being held on.

Television coverage has fallen off? Maybe in your 5% of the world, but where proper motorsport is appreciated, its going from strength to strength. Places like Poland, for instance. This from wiki, re TV:

Over 190 different countries take the international feed of the event with a roundup of every day being made into a 26-minute programme. This has been commentated on by Toby Moody (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Moody) for ten years, and most recently Ben Constanduros.
The organisers provide 20 edit stations for various countries to produce their own programmes. There are four TV helicopters, six stage cameras, and three bivouac crews to make over 1,000 hours of TV over the two-week period.

What makes you think the top tier competitiveness has fallen off a bit?

Now as to NASCAR. Just what is a "stock car"? In this country, it means something like stock standard.... showroom stock... that sort of thing.

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 06:20 AM
In this country. . .blah blah blah

The Bigfella
01-21-2014, 06:24 AM
blah blah blah

Thought so.... you're just flaming again eh?

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 06:28 AM
Thought so.... you're just flaming again eh?you're the dork posing the questions, and making the cultural digs; until then i had made one single word comment in agreement with another poster to this thread

sad that once you had a respectable and valued forum presence here and now your nought but a troll. . .

The Bigfella
01-21-2014, 06:29 AM
you're the dork posing the questions, and making the cultural digs; until then i had made one single word comment in agreement with another poster to this thread

sad that once you had a respectable and valued forum presence here and now your nought but a troll. . .

Go cry to someone else, will you? I responded to both posters who raised the issue of the Dakar name.

Paul Pless
01-21-2014, 06:42 AM
you're pathetic

The Bigfella
01-21-2014, 06:46 AM
you're pathetic

Well, thank you Paul. I'm satisfied now that its not anything that I have done.

doorstop
01-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Yaaaawn.....

The Bigfella
01-22-2014, 05:16 AM
Yaaaawn.....

Paulie likes some attention. Sorry you had to see that. It was a simple Dakar thread