PDA

View Full Version : Windless day and ice in the Delaware

John Smith
01-09-2014, 02:02 PM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/jdanton/ice001_zps40234d8e.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/jdanton/media/ice001_zps40234d8e.jpg.html)

Not a good day for a sail

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/jdanton/ice004_zps215a903e.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/jdanton/media/ice004_zps215a903e.jpg.html)

The folks I met here all thought this proves climate change is a hoax. I asked them my usual question, which they couldn't answer. One said it won't matter in her life time. I pointed to her small child and asked, "How about her, and her children?"

skuthorp
01-09-2014, 03:10 PM
The folks I met here all thought this proves climate change is a hoax. I asked them my usual question, which they couldn't answer. One said it won't matter in her life time. I pointed to her small child and asked, "How about her, and her children?"
We are a short term thinking species, nothing will change in our attitudes that will matter a fig. And it may be way too late anyhow. Planning to adapt might help but wil be politically unpopular so won't happen.
'Que sera sera'

Rum_Pirate
01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Not a good day for a sail

What is your usual question?

John Smith
01-09-2014, 05:50 PM
What is your usual question?

Apparently you don't read many of my posts. My question is:

If global warming is a total hoax, but it brings us more efficient cars, better insulated homes, and less dependence on fossil fuels, what's the downside?

M. J. Notigan
01-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Where on the Delaware was this taken?

The CGC Capstan came up to Trenton today to break clear the shipping channel. Did a great job, too, as the outgoing tide at Bordentown was flushing a lot of heavy ice downstream. The ice dam up at Trenton was threatening to flood the immediate Trenton/Yardley, Bucks County area. With hope the coming rain will be kind and melt a lot of the heavy stuff on out of here.

Mike

Roger Cumming
01-10-2014, 01:00 AM

If global warming is a total hoax, but it brings us more efficient cars, better insulated homes, and less dependence on fossil fuels, what's the downside?

The downside of climate change is more severe weather, loss of arable land, destruction of the ocean's ability to feed us. Something that puts more of us at risk from flooding and drought and reduces the food supply ought to wake us up. By the time many of us come to realize it is not a hoax it will be very much more difficult to do anything about it, according to people who are studying the phenomenon.

LeeG
01-10-2014, 07:12 AM

The behavioral changes involve a reduction in discretionary energy consuming activities, having fun driving down to the river or flying around on vacations, etc. the easiest and least costly method believe it or not is taxing fuel and let the consumer find the most efficient use. The changes in infrastructure do cost money, if the choice is beer money or double pane windows beer usually wins.

Soundbounder
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Photo from yesterday of the Delaware Gap

https://twitter.com/PoconoDan16/status/421345559501611008/photo/1

Rum_Pirate
01-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks for posting.

You may wish to revise that question on the basis that if global warming is a total hoax, how can it (as a hoax) bring benefits? :confused:

Michael D. Storey
01-10-2014, 11:26 AM
The downside of climate change is more severe weather, loss of arable land, destruction of the ocean's ability to feed us. Something that puts more of us at risk from flooding and drought and reduces the food supply ought to wake us up. By the time many of us come to realize it is not a hoax it will be very much more difficult to do anything about it, according to people who are studying the phenomenon.

I am aware that it would come at loss & suffering, but I would like to know how much farmable land will be lost and how much new farm land will open up. On that, I would also opine that if farm land disappearance were truly an frontal lobe issue, then we need to stop making so many babies.
I am a huge proponent of limiting atmospheric and water borne emissions, and want this to be in the forefront of discussion. I want scientific discussion, not folklore. And no murmuring about vaccinations causing autism.
'Course, I always get what it is that I want.

John Smith
01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Where on the Delaware was this taken?

The CGC Capstan came up to Trenton today to break clear the shipping channel. Did a great job, too, as the outgoing tide at Bordentown was flushing a lot of heavy ice downstream. The ice dam up at Trenton was threatening to flood the immediate Trenton/Yardley, Bucks County area. With hope the coming rain will be kind and melt a lot of the heavy stuff on out of here.

Mike

This was taken at Duck Island, off or route 29, a bit south of Trenton, on the Jersey side of the river.

John Smith
01-10-2014, 11:39 AM

I was asking as to the down side of getting more efficient cars, better insulated homes, etc. even if global warming is a hoax. Compared of course, to what's the upside of doing nothing and finding out it's not a hoax.

John Smith
01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for posting.

You may wish to revise that question on the basis that if global warming is a total hoax, how can it (as a hoax) bring benefits? :confused:

It would not be beneficial to have more fuel efficient cars et al and less dependency on fossil fuels under any circumstances?

M. J. Notigan
01-10-2014, 08:00 PM
This was taken at Duck Island, off or route 29, a bit south of Trenton, on the Jersey side of the river.

Thank you, Mr Smith. I believe while you were snapping pictures there, I was not far downriver from you, doing the same!

Best Regards
Mike

John Smith
01-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Thank you, Mr Smith. I believe while you were snapping pictures there, I was not far downriver from you, doing the same!

Best Regards
Mike

After Duck Island it went to the scenic overlook on 295 but that wasn't as impressive. Then I thought about Crosswicks Creek, but ran out of energy.