PDA

View Full Version : David Crosby's Mayan - what issue?

tdacon
01-07-2014, 07:32 PM
David Crosby (of Crosby, Stills & Nash fame, in case you don't recognize the name) appears to have put up for sale his Alden schooner Mayan, which he's owned for forty years or more. According to what I read, some work on it was covered in an issue of WoodenBoat. Anyone know what issue that was? I have quite a few issues, but no index.

Thanks,
Tom

Dan Payne
01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Sorry, I don't, but wanted to comment....
Saw her 2 winters ago in Channel Islands Harbor (Oxnard, CA)
I briefly spoke with who I believe was the captain.
I drifted in the channel for a half hour one day, popped an IPA, lit a Cohiba, and just stared at her.
No amount of looking could satisfy the eye balls.

Ian McColgin
01-07-2014, 08:43 PM
If you use the online article index, you find that Mayan is mentioned with pix in number 187, page 66.

Binnacle Bat
01-07-2014, 09:09 PM
A few years back, I sailed a Sunfish between Bull Island and Uncatina. As I sailed past a very pretty schooner, I asked the guy sitting in the cockpit if she was an Alden, he answered yep. A second later I was able to read Malabar ? on her transom. I said oh, could have saved my breath.

Damned few things in this world as eye-sweet as an Alden schooner (excepting a very few women).

Allan

Ian McColgin
01-07-2014, 10:25 PM
That was Malabar II. You should see him single-hand her in tight conditions. That boat is nimble.

Binnacle Bat
01-07-2014, 11:16 PM
She had to be to get in to and out of that anchorage.

Allan

SchoonerRat
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Mayan has been on the market for years. Her price has been dropped a number of times, but Mr. Crosby doesn't seem too anxious to sell. It's good for an old woodie to have an owner who doesn't NEED to sell her. An owner who pays top dollar for a boat is more likely to treat her well. Mayan is used to having love lavished upon her.

Most of my bucket list boats are Aldens!

Beau.Vrolyk
06-05-2016, 11:27 AM
I stumbled over this thread while looking for information on another Alden schooner, and decided to provide an update.

MAYAN was purchased by my wife and me in May of 2014. She spent her next nine months at Wayne Ettel's boat yard in LA. There she received a new head, shower, re-wiring, re-plumbing, heater, and a new set of Ullman sails. After a bit of racing and cruising in S. California we sailed her to her new home in Santa Cruz, CA.

Since arriving in N. California MAYAN has been busy with various cruises and local races. We're pleased to have recently won our class in the San Francisco Master Mariner's Race, and knocked off a few wins in other races against more modern boats. Like many Alden schooners, folks tend to underestimate her speed a bit. We'll cruise S. California this summer and then return to Santa Cruz in the fall.

Future plans include a Mexico cruise in a few years and potentially another run through the S. Pacific.

Beau (beau.vrolyk@mac.com)

SchoonerRat
06-05-2016, 12:38 PM
You can't do better than an Alden schooner and you can't do better than Wayne to take care of her. He re-decked Kelpie just before I started working on her, re-planked her just after, and did a good bit of caulking after I beat her up on a trip north from San Diego. My aging neck and arm were glad it was him and not me.

I didn't get a chance to see Mayan when you last had her in SoCal. I'd love to get an eyeful when you bring her back down here.

Hwyl
06-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Have you seen this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?207443-Choosing-a-cold-molded-build-method-for-a-60-classic-schooner

John B
06-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Might not be 80 ft of waterline but marquesas in that boat would be something.

Beau.Vrolyk
06-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Have you seen this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?207443-Choosing-a-cold-molded-build-method-for-a-60-classic-schooner

I hadn't. I am reading now. Thanks a LOT!