PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Help, Please

David W Pratt
01-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Does any one have a suggestion for left over beer can chicken?
It is tender, smokey flavored, and I have ~11/2 of them
Thanks in advance

katey
01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Smoked chicken chowder? Sliders with BBQ sauce?

Tracey
01-01-2014, 11:38 AM
there were leftovers????

Paul Pless
01-01-2014, 12:23 PM
chicken salad

Flying Orca
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Tamales. Tacos. Enchiladas. Tostadas. Lots of good things you can do with roast chicken, and many of them are quite simple and delicious.

Croquettes are also fun.

Figment
01-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Smoked chicken chowder?

this.

Alternatively; open mouth, insert chicken.

Other alternative: nachos.

skipper68
01-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Get hot sauce, real butter and Blue cheese. (Dressing is included too).
Heat them back up with the HS and BTTR. When crisp,put the BC on, and serve. With celery too.
Make the Dressing and hot sauce sit with the salt and pepper.
I recommend a good Potato Salad as a side. with Cole Slaw.
Enjoy. :)

Willin'
01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Gumbo!!!!

I got this recipe for Turkey Sausage gumbo from a buddy on SA and it is absolutely wonderful. I imagine your chicken would work well too. I'll add that IMHO it's not gumbo without okra, but that's up to the chef.

Turkey and Sausage Gumbo

Start by pulling all of the meat you can off the bird. Hopefully you'll have about 4 cups of meat. If you have significantly less, consider making a half recipe or buying some smoked turkey from the deli. Put in a bag and set aside or refrigerate if cooking the next day. (My advice, Geez you've cooked enough already)

Cover the carcass, leg bones, etc. in cold water add quartered onion and celery and bring to a boil. Keep on low boil for a couple of hours to make a good rich stock. This is especially good if you have a smoked turkey. (Mine was just about perfect this year!) Throw away the big pieces and strain the rest through a sieve. Should yield a couple of quarts at least.

When you are ready to make your gumbo, determine if you have a pot big enough for 1 large batch or if you're going to need to make 2 batches. If 2, halve the following. Start with a roux, 1 1/2 Cup of Canola Oil, 1 1/2 Cups of Flour. cook over medium high heat until the roux turns dark brown. Add 1 1/2 cups each of chopped Onions, Celery and Bell Pepper. stir through for about 5 minutes making sure the roux doesn't burn. Add gumbo seasonings. This is personal, but I'll show mine below. Cook another 5 minutes blending seasoning into roux and vegetable mixture. Add 2 quarts of turkey stock and cook about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add leftover turkey and 2 lbs of sliced smoked sausage. Cook another 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

Seasoning mix (Basically Paul Prudhome)

4 bay leaves

1 Tbsp salt

1 Tsp white pepper

1 Tsp cayenne

1 Tsp black pepper

1 Tsp Dried Thyme leaves

1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano

Garlic to taste (1 Tbsp fresh for me)

skipper68
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Well THERES the problem!
Ya need one hand for your cocktail.
Thus, Finger Food gets more popular. ;)

delecta
01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Chicken Tetrazzini comes to mind.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickencasseroles/r/bl31011b.htm

I make chicken curry that is palatable.

3tb of butter and a 1/2 cup of diced celery, 1/2 cup of onion, few cloves of garlic. Cook until the crunch is out of it and then add curry powder to your liking. Add stock to make a stew and pour it over rice.
PM me if you want a real recipe.

Grind it up and make chicken meatballs, You can add some egg and bread crumbs and serve it with with soup or make larger balls, roll them in egg wash and bread crumbs and pan fry them and make some gravy to go with them.

These are obviously not recipes and if you want some help let me know.

Chicken tacos also come to mind.
Chicken soup
Chicken salad
or when you get disgusted you can throw what is left in a pot and make some really nice broth. Use that to make chicken corn chowder.

Vince Brennan
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I am SOOOO plebeian in my tastes!

Deep dish pyrex baker (I like the square type)

1 - 2 cups of chicken gravy, THEN
appx 1/3 of the dish @ cooked Peas and carrots OR "mixed" vegetables, pulled-apart chicken meat (smallish pieces) and white or brown precooked rice.

Stir (fold) to blend everything (add some salt and pepper), then cover with a nice pie-crust OR a biscuit crust... Paint crust with a beaten egg yolk and a LITTLE water...

Pierce crust in some sort of artistic pattern and bake for twenty minutes at 450 (with a pastry edge protector), then remove protector, reduce to 350 / 325 for 40 min. and check for doneness.

Chicken Pot Pie : Just a wonderful thing.

Scoo

StevenBauer
01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Beer can chicken? Yikes!

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html