PDA

View Full Version : I'm up fighting off a leg cramp and recalling caps

John Smith
12-30-2013, 05:44 AM
Anyone else remember caps and the cap guns we'd feed by the roll, or the cap rockets that took a single cap?

The pistols were obvious; guns that went "bang". The rocket was a little rocked we'd put a single cap in, throw it up, and when it hit the ground the cap would go "bang". At the moment I don't recall anything else that used these caps that were little bits of gunpowder that came in a roll of paper.

It's been an awfully long time since I've seen them. Wonder if they're still made/sold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F3mcLocpMw

Yes, but they've changed.

seanz
12-30-2013, 06:24 AM
I liked cap guns and I take magnesium to prevent leg cramps.

Phillip Allen
12-30-2013, 06:25 AM
the PC police have banned them

JMAC
12-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Try drinking club soda for the cramps...2nd hand info, don't personally know if it works, but it's cheap!

I remember dropping one of those cap rockets from my top basement step, just as my cousin ran underneath...bad results all around...

Bobby of Tulsa
12-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Avocados or bananas for leg cramps, ya needs more potassium.

bogdog
12-30-2013, 08:05 AM
I think my brothers and sisters had some Gene Autry or Roy Rogers cap guns with belts and holsters. I got a picture somewhere of my brother on a neighbor's pinto pony with a whole get-up on from hat to fringed chaps and boots.

Stretching for cramps and good hydration, as always after a certain age it's good to know potassium levels especially if you're taking ACE inhibitors, NSAIDs or ARBs.

Full Tilt
12-30-2013, 09:07 AM
, or the cap rockets that took a single cap

I hadn't thought of those rockets for a long time. They were fun.
http://img1.etsystatic.com/006/0/7010444/il_570xN.372639195_oral.jpg

Canoeyawl
12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
They are still around, just don't let your 7 year old nephew bring them to the airport check in...
All the bells and whistles go off and you will be forever on the "don't fly list"

TomF
12-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Those things were great. We did homebrew versions, with two bolts screwing into ascrew single nut, and the cap between.

BrianW
12-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Good thread John!

The metal cap rockets were lots of fun, but so was a roll of caps and a hammer. ;)

What about those pellets you would light, and the ashes would grow out like a snake?

ron ll
12-30-2013, 12:08 PM
I had a six shooter cap gun, but I also remember the hammer was better instant gratification.

http://www.plyrocktoy.com/salesitems/large/c4.jpg

Full Tilt
12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Hammer!

We was soooooo poor all I had was a rock.

bogdog
12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Hammer!

We was soooooo poor all I had was a rock.Hammers didn't even exist when I was a kid, had to use a bow drill just to start a fire...

Breakaway
12-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Ha! I had the zinc bomb, did the rock and hammer thing. I also recall laying out a foot or two of caps on smooth ground and scraping across the strip. Done right it provided a "machine gun" effect.

What about tops? Did anybody throw tops?

http://www.topmuseum.org/images/IMG_8235__Peg_Tops_Pair_RS.jpg?349

CEFeighn
12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Tops and Yoyos. I liked the two piece tops. The cap guns and cap rockets were a great part of growing up, yes the roll of caps and a hammer on the sidewalk was the BEST.

John Smith
12-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Avocados or bananas for leg cramps, ya needs more potassium.
I'm taking Potassium and Magnesium. How much of these things can I take before they become a problem?

John Smith
12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I had a six shooter cap gun, but I also remember the hammer was better instant gratification.

http://www.plyrocktoy.com/salesitems/large/c4.jpg

The box said "only in cap pistols"

ron ll
12-30-2013, 02:15 PM
The box said "only in cap pistols"

I've always been a bit of a scofflaw.

bogdog
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm taking Potassium and Magnesium. How much of these things can I take before they become a problem?Only your blood work can say.

seanz
12-30-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm taking Potassium and Magnesium. How much of these things can I take before they become a problem?

Don't know about the potassium (I don't take it) but the dose for the Magnesium will be written on the bottle. The first real problem you will get from to much Mg is the same one you get from too much vitamin C.

Not a problem for me, I went vegetarian and bought a spud gun, cheaper and better for you.

John, as you're doing the stuff that works for the rest of us with leg cramps......and you still get cramps......you should talk to your doctor.
Cheers, and have a happy New Year.

PeterSibley
12-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Those things were great. We did homebrew versions, with two bolts screwing into ascrew single nut, and the cap between.

and then someone thought about using match heads and it as all down hill from there.;)

SMARTINSEN
12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Try drinking club soda for the cramps...2nd hand info, don't personally know if it works, but it's cheap!

That would be tonic water, not soda water The quinine in tonic is proven effective in relieving leg cramps.

Go out and buy yourself a bottle of gin to go along with the tonic, and ring in the new year in style, John:D

John Smith
12-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I see my doc on the 9th. Have to talk about cramps.

While they kept me up, it was caps that brought the thread.

JMAC
12-30-2013, 09:59 PM
The cap bomb in #8 is the one that I dropped on my cousin's head...the way you guys talk about caps...brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye. What about airplane glue? I remember writing our names on the sidewalk with the stuff then torching it off.

Jim Bow
12-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Maybe in Arkansas, but all the stores (Walmart, Target, ToysRUs) out here in Cascadia sell them.

When I was a kid, I had a Mattel Fanner 50 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qXLxHi9_8). Wish I still had it, judging by the prices on Ebay.

BrianY
12-31-2013, 12:10 AM
My kids have several cap guns and cap bombs. The only difference between them and the ones I had as a kid is what they're made of. I remember that my metal six shooters had a distinctive taste that the new ones don't have.

Why I every thought of licking my cap guns I'll never know...but I do recall that they had a metallic taste that I liked. Of course, I was probably ingesting all sorts of toxic stuff that isn't allowed in kids toys anymore.

Keith Wilson
12-31-2013, 12:48 AM
but so was a roll of caps and a hammer. ;)Man, that was fun! You went through a lot of caps real fast, though. The smell was like nothing else.

I just looked up roll caps; apparently they still make 'em, and you can buy them at Walmart around here.

bobbys
12-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Youse will shoot your eyes out!

JayInOz
12-31-2013, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=JMAC;4016975. What about airplane glue? I remember writing our names on the sidewalk with the stuff then torching it off.[/QUOTE]
We discovered that if you wadded up some red rose petals real tight and wrote your name on the concrete path in the school ground- it wouldn't come off- ever!! :) I can still see my teacher going purple and spluttering gibberish- good times.
Jmac what is that in your avatar? Looks like chip carving but I'm usually wrong:)

My sisters and I all had cap guns in holsters- my sisters had the whole Annie Oakley outfits. Late in the afternnoon the big dragonflies used to hover just on the down wind side of the crest of our house roof. If any insects flew over the crest they would shoot up and grab 'em. We discovered that if you fired a cap at a dragonfly as it passed close to you, it would come back and act sort of threatening- we could keep them diving at us until we ran out of caps. Gawd that was a long time ago!
I also remember Dad bringing me home a red and white spinning top from the petrol station where he bought his fuel, and a coca cola yoyo. That would have been in the late fifties. I still have the top. JayInOz

JMAC
12-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Back in the woods, we had stuffed a model car full of firecrackers. Not good enough...me and my friend ran about a half mile back to my house, got a cupful of gas out of the can in the garage, walked carefully back, doused the sucker and set it off proper. O happy youth!

JayinOz, my avatar is a detail of a table which I accented with Marquetry, my specialty. www.jmacwooddesign.com (http://www.jmacwooddesign.com)

John Smith
12-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Maybe in Arkansas, but all the stores (Walmart, Target, ToysRUs) out here in Cascadia sell them.

When I was a kid, I had a Mattel Fanner 50 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qXLxHi9_8). Wish I still had it, judging by the prices on Ebay.

That's fodder for another thread. When I see what some of the "toy" outboards of the 50's and 60's bring, whether they work or not, I wish I'd have kept mine.

John Smith
12-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Man, that was fun! You went through a lot of caps real fast, though. The smell was like nothing else.

I just looked up roll caps; apparently they still make 'em, and you can buy them at Walmart around here.

Today you can use bubble wrap. One Christmas I have may grandsons a roll that Staples sold for$10. The 1" bubble variety. Cut a 4' length and laid it on the floor. Kids were 4 and 6 (ish) at the time and jumping up and down on it popping the bubbles was quite entertaining. Probably the single most fun gift they ever got.

John Smith
12-31-2013, 07:58 AM
I was in a local hobby shop the other day and noticed, and asked about, a shelf full of car models; the old plastic kind of cars of the 50's and 60's. I was told there is still a market for those cars; back when the all looked different from one another. Got me to thinking how nice it might be today to have a shelf of Matchbox or Corgi cars.

bogdog
12-31-2013, 09:02 AM
My wife has a nice Matchbox collection including a steerable Mustang she kept on the dash of her Mustang.

jonboy
12-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Ah the nut and bolt bomb...! two types we used to make, one from the extension bolts in the bicycle steering head... two together gave an explosive lance about 18" long, or two of the fattest shortest bolts, say 1" dia by 1", made a fist sized chuckable grenade... all fired by red match heads or the gunpowder from fireworks that were only available before November 5th in Uk and saved up.....
Then there was the potassium permanganate and iron filings and glycerine bombs...all stuff raided from the home shed and medicine cabinet... we used to pack it into a bike handlebar and light it .....sometimes a colossal bang and whoosh, sometimes it just caught fire and burnt trough the 'bars....happy days for those of us who kept our fingers...!

ron ll
12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Okay, I did most of this stuff, but somehow missed the "bolt bombs". Can someone give me detailed instructions? We will be visiting friends tonight for New Years Eve and he is as big a kid as I am and we are always looking for this kind of mischievous fun. And there is a Wal-Mart close to their house so we may be in business.

jonboy
12-31-2013, 10:35 AM
take two bolts and a nut..screw nut on slightly less than half ....put some above explosive, typically red match heads into the 'cup' and screw the second bolt into the nut CAREFULLY till it bites/compresses the gunpowder..... do it up too hard and it goes off in yer mitt..... hurl it at a wall or up in the air so it falls onto the street or a good hard surface...kabooom

ron ll
12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
What size bolt?

jonboy
12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
see #38.... bicycle handlebar extension bolts for the lances, short fat coarse thread bolts for the grenades, but anything will do.....just one bolt head or the other has to strike so there's a compression. if it hits sideways it won't go off ....