PDA

View Full Version : Boats for sale ads; Ever wonder?

DeniseO30
12-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Do any of those boats actually get sold? (of any size, but thinking the larger ones)
Jus wonnering

jgjones
12-29-2013, 05:34 PM
You mean the WoodenBoat site ads? Last year, I called about a boat listed there, and it had been sold long ago. So I guess, in some cases at least, the ads don't get canceled as they should.

DeniseO30
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes wondering about WB mag ads Knowing how hard it is to sell boats of any type. Just wondering if WB ads actually do create sales. For sure some of the prices on WB mag boats are not low in the least.

Dan_sail
12-29-2013, 06:24 PM
I think its based on who designed it/built it. The Magazine brings clientele that is interested in wooden boats,so its a good market.

Dan Payne
12-29-2013, 10:14 PM
In this new electronic age, print classified ads are a little slow to the marketplace. Imagine, you miss the magazines deadline. It may be nearly three months from the time you place your ad till the next copy hits the mailbox or news stand.
If you are selling ENDEAVOR or STORMY WEATHER for top buck and "firm", that may not matter. But if you need to unload "lightning #5176 make an offer owner anxious" I don't think it's the right marketplace for you.

Some here will disagree with me, but the fact is print advertising is dying, fast, as is print in general.

Carl Cramer
12-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Just call me a dinosaur, then: I bought a 24' powerboat this fall. From the WB Classifieds, print.

DeniseO30
12-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Oh silly me.. the ads are available online too. Should of realized WB would be electronic also :) http://www.woodenboat.com/boats-sale I was thinking the Mag ads were mostly to fill pages.

dskira
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Just call me a dinosaur, then: I bought a 24' powerboat this fall. From the WB Classifieds, print.

Of course |:)

Rich Jones
12-30-2013, 12:37 PM
I sold my gaff sloop in the WB print ads. But that was twenty years ago!

Dan Payne
12-31-2013, 09:27 AM

I would never call you a dinosaur.

Got to understand, I spent my entire career, since age 16, in print. I find this new technology fascinating, to the point of "other worldly". This coming from a person that was taught Linotype in college.