PDA

View Full Version : Untying the lines...

Lewisboater
12-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I snagged this from Dylan Winter's blog... I'm surprised he didn't mention it here.

This is a weekly video blog of a German girl who buys a boat in Panama and goes through getting it ready to "sail the world". She is gutsy, handy and cute too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteSpotPirates/videos

Ian McColgin
12-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Cool.

WX
12-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Nice find. Looked at part one...impressive mold.

Willin'
12-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Well, the first one hooked me. I just watched the entire series! She's an impressive girl with an awful lot still to learn but she doesn't seem to be getting too discouraged yet. If she's heading for the Eastern Carribean she better get used to those head winds though.

Thanks for sharing!

Lew Barrett
12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Me too, saw the first one and was hooked. I like her style, and she's good with a camera too.

I hope she's not thinking of moving on too far until she gets a lot more experience under her belt and more confidence built into the boat and its rig. So many things you'd like to tell her, but on the other hand, she's saying plenty on her own.

I notice how trim and toned she looks after a few months in Panama working on the boat.

Willin'
01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm also chuckling about her obsession with refinishing the cabin and accomodations rather than tweaking the rig and propulsion gear for reliability and single handing, but not knowing her budget and time constraints shade my expectations.

I'm hoping she actually does get up and go somewhere though, otherwise this may turn out to be just another self absorbed cry for attention.

Waiting impatiently for the next clip.

Lew Barrett
01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm also chuckling about her obsession with refinishing the cabin and accomodations rather than tweaking the rig and propulsion gear for reliability and single handing, but not knowing her budget and time constraints shade my expectations.

I'm hoping she actually does get up and go somewhere though, otherwise this may turn out to be just another self absorbed cry for attention.

Waiting impatiently for the next clip.

It's a bit of a surprise to me that hanging around with all those cruisers and world travelers nobody has set her straight about what 25,000 miles at sea entails, never mind a ten mile trip to the nearest bay and restaurant, but you have to love her joy and despair as she process all this. Also, it seems to me she's having a good holiday however you cut it. Not everybody who sets out to circumnavigate the world gets that far, but she's living the dream in her way.

I just hope somebody she trusts looks her in the eye at some point and sets her straight about her dreams, hopes and the realities of offshore work. Maybe they already have and she just hasn't admitted it "on tape" yet.

Also, it's a head, godammit, not a bathroom!

She's still much to be admired for all her pluck.

Paul Pless
01-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Me too, saw the first one and was hooked. I like her style, and she's good with a camera too.

I hope she's not thinking of moving on too far until she gets a lot more experience under her belt and more confidence built into the boat and its rig. So many things you'd like to tell her, but on the other hand, she's saying plenty on her own.

I notice how trim and toned she looks after a few months in Panama working on the boat.

Have you read this book?

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9781476747729_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Lewisboater
01-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Seems she's missed a Friday or two already

StevenBauer
01-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Were there just the 17 or so episodes? I enjoyed watching them, maybe we could find her email and all send her some friendly advice...

Steven

MiddleAgesMan
01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
I really like her positive attitude but I fear she is lacking in experience. It's especially worrisome that she installed her new propane stove herself.

I wish her well and hope to be able to follow her adventures/misadventures as they come along, hopefully not too many of the latter.

StevenBauer
01-04-2014, 06:21 AM
Seems she's missed a Friday or two already

She's back in Germany visiting family for another week or so.

Steven

Willin'
01-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Well, she's posted another video. She highlights a potential route to bring the boat back to Europe that's...interesting, but not undoable, although a slog through the doldrums from French Polynesia to Hawaii would be about my last choice.

Go the Karl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtlqEnFiDf8

Dan Payne
01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
I will always regret all the things I failed to photograph/record in my boating life.

gnack
01-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm hooked - even if the boat is ugly and fiberglass and her and her friend's table saw behavior makes me cringe. At least she's doing some woodworking.

I just wish she'd actually sail - she bought a sailboat but has never raised the mainsail (that was torn several times when they tried and has apparently not been repaired). She mentions her dreams and how much she hopes to accomplish "before she runs out of money" but then she motors around burning gas...the wind is free, Nike!

Oh, I see there's an episode 19 - gotta go.

Willin'
01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Woof, I like her style! Makes ya wanna hit the road.

Lew Barrett
01-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Have you read this book?

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9781476747729_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Catching up a bit late, never read this but spent some time looking at reviews and discussions. From my skimpy knowledge I will say it's good fortune mingled with courage and a bright mind to return from the sea having left with an ill prepared boat and the notion that you'll learn along the way. Not that it can't be done, but that it's far better to be well prepared.

Lewisboater
02-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Sounds like things aren't going well.... I hope she can work it out.

willmarsh3
02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Maiden Voyage is a good read. I'll be following this series for a bit.

Lew Barrett
02-23-2014, 02:57 PM
She's very impressive. It's really interesting to see how she processes things and comes to the right conclusions, making progres at each step. I'm hooked. It's also impossible not to like her, and her video style is great too.

I particularly related to #20 in which she somewhat forelornly looks straight at the camera and says more or less: "I don't trust the boat. I have made a list." I can relate to that moment, the immediate depression and the determination to make things right. Very cool.

willmarsh3
02-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Lots of the problems she encountered are familiar to me, engine won't start, the sails ripped, mold, rotted wood. I don't wish holes in the hull on anyone but if they are small enough it seems that some sort of epoxy designed for aluminum repair would fix her problem effectively for a lot less than $3200. And if the antifouling is copper oxide it must be completely removed and repainted with a copper thiocyanate type such as biolux to avoid electrolysis. Maybe she needs to join the Metal Boat Society. I eagerly await the next installment.

willmarsh3
03-15-2014, 10:18 AM
#26 and #27 came out. She's sticking with it and making good progress. Yep, stubbornness is a good trait to have for success with boats.

Willin'
03-15-2014, 02:06 PM
She seems to be self surveying the boat and learning to inspect, evaluate, plan and make repairs as she goes along. What an incredible change in her and the boat since episode one. She's becoming a formidable woman and the boat is becoming a symbol of what can be done with patience and persistence.

Many kudos to her and Karl!

Willin'
04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
She's still hard at it! A month of grinding and sanding and she hasn't given up. This girl is a force of nature!

http://youtu.be/TJ_efikfc3o

PeterSibley
04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Nice find. Looked at part one...impressive mold.Mould , mould and more mould . Another few months and that boat would have been a write off . Rotten through and through. Just the glass left.

MiddleAgesMan
04-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Glass? On the aluminum?

This is the first I learned that the hull is aluminum. I guess that must have been mentioned in a video I missed.

willmarsh3
01-20-2017, 10:00 AM
She's gearing up for season 3. Still an awesome Youtube series.