PDA

View Full Version : 72 hour breeze through Bangalore

Ted Hoppe
12-19-2013, 04:05 PM
I just got back from India- Bangalore and few other places in southern India. It really spun my head. I can see it must have been a true paradise before the tremendous growth and humanity. I loved the smells of ginger, gardenias, spices and warm wood fired air. sitting under a banyan tree in a beautiful luxury compound in the heart of the Indian city. I always thought my self a child of Kipling and the tropics, i loved the stories and movies of this exotic place. I am a well travelled person and know many places on the globe but here i found the mind sets, poverty and filth staggering. The city has gone from 4 million to 11 million in 10 years without much infrastructure upgrades to the roads and transit. The caste system is still going strong and the disparity visible in every broken street, public place and privileged sanctuary. Among all this chaos are tech giants rising with such drive to assert their dominance on the world stage and propelling innovation - all quite fascinating.

I learned from my breif stay in india is that - High tolerance is a thing ignored. The right to oppress is in the nature of their system. Out of the 1.4 billion people there - only 400 million can read or write. The work hours there are abysmal for many - exceeding 12 to 16 hours a day for many getting paid a smallest lump sum for the month with no days off. No public restrooms and cows still wonder the walls of some biggest tech giants. Not to say there aren't good people there making a difference, there are. i could see the brilliance out of dispare and drive fueled from the bottom. there were three stories that stood out this week for me here in Bangalore...I learn that a father can still sell or trade his daughter away for gambling debts which is legally permissible. The acts of homosexual behavior is now punishable by prison and fines but encouraged tacitly to maintain the wellbeing of large families and keep young male cooperation. In reaction to a story out of the US, There was much anger about their diplomats in New York were arrested for underpaying and enslaving their domestic servants to which cause revocation of US diplomatic privilege cards and diplomatic rights of departure at all airports through out the country - that also caused a spirited nationally televised debate about the 2800 illegal aliens workers from the united states and how they should be deported immediately. (I wondered how many illegals from India were living in the states, working and collecting benefits. But that is subject for another discussion.)

It is Incredible India just like the poster said at the Indian Consulates Office last week had posted as I got my emergency visa. There are many struggles for this country and we all should be watching them closely. The changes and developments will effect us all around the world in profound ways.

Got back home last night after 24 hour flight. I don't think india will be a place I would like to return.

BrianW
12-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the write up.

There's been a couple excellent threads on India... I believe Shang wrote one of them? It's actually a place I'd like to visit, but I'm not sure I can handle that much humanity.

Gerarddm
12-19-2013, 05:47 PM
The Taj Mahal is on my architectural bucket list, as is the Golden Temple.

Osborne Russell
12-19-2013, 05:54 PM
I just got back from India- Bangalore and few other places in southern India. It really spun my head. I can see it must have been a true paradise before the tremendous growth and humanity.

Like the rest of earth.

Ted Hoppe
12-19-2013, 05:58 PM
If you do go - take the time to have dinner under a banyan tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7y1-GRevU

The Bigfella
12-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks Ted. Incredible place by all reports.... and some of that not good.

purri
12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Or inhumanity as the case appears.
Thanks for the write up.

There's been a couple excellent threads on India... I believe Shang wrote one of them? It's actually a place I'd like to visit, but I'm not sure I can handle that much humanity.