PDA

View Full Version : Vacation options late February?

Steve McMahon
12-18-2013, 11:01 PM
It looks like the stars have finally lined up that SWMBO and I will finally take our first real "vacation" ever (in 25 years) in late February. We're looking at 10 days totally unplugged and somewhere warm. Our current thinking is an all inclusive in Cuba which can be had for around $2000.00 to 2500.00 for a 4+ star resort round trip from Halifax Nova Scotia for both of us. I would also like to consider the option of an efficiency type place (stove +fridge+ bbq) on a tropical island if it meets the criteria:
- Safe, crime rate near zero, friendly people
- Clean
- warm beaches
- Small boat sailing available (just me)
- Availability of decent food that I can buy and cook, but also decent local restaurants
- Cheap decent quality booze
- Affordable as above
- No strange travel connections

I would appreciate any suggestions. The Dominican Republic has similar priced stuff to Cuba, but I'm not feeling it. Cuba would be OK, but I would prefer if we could do something a little less "touristy".

purri
12-18-2013, 11:42 PM
we have none of the above... (complet!)

Old Dryfoot
12-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Belize or the Mayan Riviera? I've not been myself but know many people that just rave about both places. The Mayan Riviera might be too touristy for your tastes though, and from what I understand Belize may not be as safe as it once was.

BrianW
12-19-2013, 12:55 AM
MrLeft8 and VirginGal may have a tropical suggestion. ;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Plockton?????

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/15/fb/b6/plocton-harbour-by-jim.jpg (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g319815-Plockton_Ross_and_Cromarty_Scottish_Highlands_Scot land-Vacations.html)

slug
12-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Khabarovsk is nice this time of year......great fishing, no crowds, very little crime

http://s28.postimg.org/oheetvddp/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
share image (http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=spanish)

Chris Coose
12-19-2013, 06:27 AM
I think you've got exactly the right idea with Cuba. I've shopped a couple of vacation ideas for this winter and either the location was absurdly expensive or it was the gettin there.

Now you've piqued my interest. I lived in Yucatan in the early 70's . It' pretty nice weather for sure.

Full Tilt
12-19-2013, 07:05 AM
"Piqued". (^)

Mexico can't meet the first criteria. It ain't safe for tourists. Canadian and US state dept warnings.

I think the "efficiency apartment" idea is a 'non-starter', unless you're going to Florida.

Stay away from St. Martin this year. Some weird disease running amok.

Check out 'Cayo Largo' Cuba or go visit Rum Pirate in St. Kitts.

bob winter
12-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Cuba is likely your best bet.

Flying Orca
12-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Parts of Mexico are dodgy; the Mayan Riviera is not, and Oystagirl and I love it there. You might want to look at a small town like Puerto Morelos, but the one thing I haven't seen much (from your list) is sailing. The area offers lots of diving, great beaches, fantastic restaurants, shopping (especially in Playa del Carmen, which is where we stay), and an incredibly friendly, helpful populace.

varadero
12-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Jolly harbour apartments Antigua. About 95 USD per night beach about 100 yds, beach bar about 70yds, 2 bedroom, kitchen, living room. trust me really laid back. 3* hotel next door if you wish. Restaurants. Just nice...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfLxdraR5quhYqTeoeLLygwUgimB-bD3QWO1Re4yI1X_VJQgcU5A

bogdog
12-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Might want to check and see if Zenaida Romeu's group is playing anywhere nearby.

Mrleft8
12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Cuba would be my first choice if it were a viable option.

TomF
12-19-2013, 09:19 AM
What, Steve. Yer not thinking NL? :D

Steve McMahon
12-19-2013, 10:24 AM
What, Steve. Yer not thinking NL? :D

Don't worry Tom, I will have at least 3 trips to Newfoundland before this winter is over.

Steve McMahon
12-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Jolly harbour apartments Antigua. About 95 USD per night beach about 100 yds, beach bar about 70yds, 2 bedroom, kitchen, living room. trust me really laid back. 3* hotel next door if you wish. Restaurants. Just nice...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfLxdraR5quhYqTeoeLLygwUgimB-bD3QWO1Re4yI1X_VJQgcU5A

I will check it out. Thanks

ccmanuals
12-19-2013, 10:46 AM
It looks like the stars have finally lined up that SWMBO and I will finally take our first real "vacation" ever (in 25 years) in late February. We're looking at 10 days totally unplugged and somewhere warm. Our current thinking is an all inclusive in Cuba which can be had for around $2000.00 to 2500.00 for a 4+ star resort round trip from Halifax Nova Scotia for both of us. I would also like to consider the option of an efficiency type place (stove +fridge+ bbq) on a tropical island if it meets the criteria:
- Safe, crime rate near zero, friendly people
- Clean
- warm beaches
- Small boat sailing available (just me)
- Availability of decent food that I can buy and cook, but also decent local restaurants
- Cheap decent quality booze
- Affordable as above
- No strange travel connections

I would appreciate any suggestions. The Dominican Republic has similar priced stuff to Cuba, but I'm not feeling it. Cuba would be OK, but I would prefer if we could do something a little less "touristy".

Steve, the criticism I hear from the ladies is that what we guys might consider as a vacation may be just another work day for them in terms of cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, etc.

If you really want to give your honey a real vacation from everything I would highly recommend a cruise. The wife will feel catered to completely plus the food is pretty amazing. Just my .02.

bahma
12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
There is only one place that fills your bill....... Man o War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas, which is a small, 2 by 1/2 mile barrier island, a 20 minute ferry ride from the 'mainland' Abaco. in the north eastern Bahamas.

MoW has about 300 locals and a similar number of expat, winter residents, variously from the USA, Canada and Europe.
There are no motor cars, transport is primarily Golf Cart........ No crime.... my business and home are never locked, even at night.

Splendid weather during the spring, little humidity..... technically, it is the 'dry' season.

Beautiful white sandy beaches, with great swimming....... Invariably you have them to yourself.

Two restaurants, serving both local and foreign cuisine, although no liquor or tobacco products are sold sold on the island, they are available in Marsh Harbour on the mainland. Your own wine may be drunk at the restaurants.

Very fine houses and apartments are available for rent.

Fishing, day trips to nearby islands, snorkeling and Scuba diving, are available each day.

Joe Albury is still building wooden boats in the traditional fashion, using grown frames, and Madeira when available.

Local shops carry quality, usually locally made items,.... the Sail Shop is internationally known for its quality canvass bags, which are hand made on the premises.

Provided you are not interested in the so called 'night life', you will have the vacation of a life time. Near by islands provide evening entertainment with local bands, dancing etc.

MoW is in no way a tourist trap.

i shall be happy to provide more info if you send me a PM

Bahma.

Steve McMahon
12-19-2013, 11:36 AM
There is only one place that fills your bill....... Man o War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas, which is a small, 2 by 1/2 mile barrier island, a 20 minute ferry ride from the 'mainland' Abaco. in the north eastern Bahamas.

MoW has about 300 locals and a similar number of expat, winter residents, variously from the USA, Canada and Europe.
There are no motor cars, transport is primarily Golf Cart........ No crime.... my business and home are never locked, even at night.

Splendid weather during the spring, little humidity..... technically, it is the 'dry' season.

Beautiful white sandy beaches, with great swimming....... Invariably you have them to yourself.

Two restaurants, serving both local and foreign cuisine, although no liquor or tobacco products are sold sold on the island, they are available in Marsh Harbour on the mainland. Your own wine may be drunk at the restaurants.

Very fine houses and apartments are available for rent.

Fishing, day trips to nearby islands, snorkeling and Scuba diving, are available each day.

Joe Albury is still building wooden boats in the traditional fashion, using grown frames, and Madeira when available.

Local shops carry quality, usually locally made items,.... the Sail Shop is internationally known for its quality canvass bags, which are hand made on the premises.

Provided you are not interested in the so called 'night life', you will have the vacation of a life time. Near by islands provide evening entertainment with local bands, dancing etc.

MoW is in no way a tourist trap.

i shall be happy to provide more info if you send me a PM

Bahma.

PM Sent - Thanks very much.

Steve McMahon
12-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Steve, the criticism I hear from the ladies is that what we guys might consider as a vacation may be just another work day for them in terms of cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, etc.

If you really want to give your honey a real vacation from everything I would highly recommend a cruise. The wife will feel catered to completely plus the food is pretty amazing. Just my .02.

I guess that would be true in many cases. In my case I do ALL of the cooking and most of the clean up that goes with it. We are not interested in a cruise. Too many people in too small a place and too much activity.

Ted Hoppe
12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Pick a place that has great local shopping opportunities for the woman in your life.

There are many places where you can rent a house on or near a nice beach that comes with wonderful locals who shops, cooks and looks after you at your price range.

Or have you considered a nice sailboat rental - sailing an isle or two in Febuary would be dreamy for a 5 day rental (not pushing it, eating tropical, sailing and great dining options at night) then bookend them with hotel stays - 3 star arrival and 4 star departure. Now that is inclusive vacations for the both of you.

I would have sweetie write down and link what would be her perfect warm weather vacation...then book with a respected travel agent - doesn't cost anymore but removes the headaches you will get. there are many who think doing it themselves via the Internet, they are coming ahead but are only fooling themselves. Using a GREAT travel agent in the time of knowledge workers and Internet relationships is smart. A quality agent works for clients getting the best from providing operators and hotels.

marshcat
12-19-2013, 02:57 PM
If you are considering the Bahamas you might also take a look at Georgetown on Great Exuma. There is (or at least was in the mid 90s) a large community of boaters who winter down there. If you don't have a boat the Peace and Plenty (http://www.peaceandplenty.com/)used to be the place to stay. I imagine there are rental homes as well now.

I don't know if you can still island hop on the mail boats, but I think there are faster ferries now.

Steve McMahon
12-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Plockton?????

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/15/fb/b6/plocton-harbour-by-jim.jpg (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g319815-Plockton_Ross_and_Cromarty_Scottish_Highlands_Scot land-Vacations.html)

I Just clicked your link - That is not a February warm beach vacation surrounded by tropical waters!