PDA

View Full Version : Which Rope to Buy

Ernie Brown
12-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I am doing my research on which rope to purchase for the Nancy's China build currently under progress. I called R&W Rope and spoke to a very informative and gracious person named Rod. Rod has since sent me samples of the 3 Strand in both 3/8 and 5/16 sizes, of both New England Vintage and Posh II Polyester. So my search is narrowed to one of these types. Please comment on pros and cons to either. The New England Vintage is .95/ft. and Posh is 1.40/ft. Thanks in advance.

donald branscom
12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I am doing my research on which rope to purchase for the Nancy's China build currently under progress. I called R&W Rope and spoke to a very informative and gracious person named Rod. Rod has since sent me samples of the 3 Strand in both 3/8 and 5/16 sizes, of both New England Vintage and Posh II Polyester. So my search is narrowed to one of these types. Please comment on pros and cons to either. The New England Vintage is .95/ft. and Posh is 1.40/ft. Thanks in advance.

They are almost all from the same company.
All sellers are middle men like West Marine.

Just buy the least expensive one.
"POSH" Sounds like a rip off bogus name!

Thad
12-17-2013, 12:07 PM
There are different lines on a boat that call for different qualities. Halyards call for little stretch, sheets that are handed frequently or constantly are best in a size that fits the hand and feels comfortable. I don't know what you call Posh II, but I have used a more expensive tan colored rope for a sheet and it has a very good feel in the hand and falls easily.

Paul G.
12-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Choosing rope is all about utility first and form second. A small boat mainsheet should be no bigger than about 10mm (3/8") Double braid is best, 3 strand is uncomfortable and mostly an affectation to give a bit of ye olde worlde charm. Halyards should be low stretch, again double braid or perhaps dyneema, certainly no bigger than 8mm (5/16") all the other control lines can be smaller again. To get a trad look, buy white braid and dye it in a bucket of tea, (coffee may work as well but I havent tried it!). If you have a lot of lines, then different colours are a good idea. My advice is not to get too bothered about the right "look" but to make sure the lines feel good and do what you want. That said, if the loads are low and the boat is a used in low wind or appearance is more important than function then it doesn't really matter which 3 strand you use, just go for the cheaper one.

JimConlin
12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
What he said.
I think the Posh stuff is ordinary dacron dyed tan, for olde worlde effect.
The remnants aisles at R&W are an excellent source. Dunno whether they sell remnants without your visit.