PDA

View Full Version : BOOM! Iceboat on the cover!

callsign222
12-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Great issue. Iceboat "Fast Piece of Furniture", How to build Phoenix III, Kees Prins (again! 2 issues in a row!) and his "Fetch", Arch Davis, much more. Perfect issue to carry you through December and January.

I absolutely loved the iceboat. This is something I've been wanting to do for almost my whole life, and I come close, and then I don't, and then I think about it during the summer, and then it's winter again and it's too late. Maybe this year will be the year I get off my sassafras and do some ice-boating with anyone looking for some crew.

StevenBauer
12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Contact Ben Fuller about getting out on an iceboat. He's the guy.

Steven

Ben Fuller
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Stop into Maine Maritime Museum which has Fast Piece of Furniture on display this winter. I groused to Bill that it kept anyone from riding in her, but he was prophetic. Big snow is bad for ice. All ready to roll and no place to go. Check the videos at the Chickawaukie Iceboat Club blog for FPF underway as well as what these looked like in 1939.

WI-Tom
12-17-2013, 02:05 AM
Big snow is bad for ice. All ready to roll and no place to go.

Ain't that the truth--I got my start in sailing with DN iceboats in the early '90s. We were lucky to get a few good days in each year before the snow arrived and shut the season down until March with its bumpy ice. I honestly think I would have been better off taking up surfing (in Wisconsin) than iceboating.

Awfully fun, though.

Tom

Daniel Noyes
12-17-2013, 07:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YAJlpY_gA4

I've got to pull out my shingle (nonbouyant south bay scooter) lakes are starting toi harden up around here! NE Ma.

Binnacle Bat
12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Dan

Given the often marginal quality of Mass ice (especially in tidal areas), I'd think a South Bay Scooter that was buoyant would be preferable.

Allan

Daniel Noyes
12-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Dan

Given the often marginal quality of Mass ice (especially in tidal areas), I'd think a South Bay Scooter that was buoyant would be preferable.

Allan

I agree, especially since I went through the ice with it on a 5% day 9+- yrs ago. but a scooter is a much more involved build for a 16yr old kid, the boat is good on fairly rough ice because it's runners are so long, and it is awesome to be able to take a passenger or two along on such a small boat (platform 3'x6' horn 12')