PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Paint

Peter Black
03-20-2001, 04:46 PM
Does anybody know if Kirby's has a web site? I mailed them many months ago for a colour chart and haven't heard a thing. I have been using Pettit for decades. I'm looking for that slightly matted finish Kirby's claim to possess. Does anybody have anything bad to say about them? How does their price compare to Pettit Easypoxy?

Peter Black
Does anybody know if Kirby's has a web site? I mailed them many months ago for a colour chart and haven't heard a thing. I have been using Pettit for decades. I'm looking for that slightly matted finish Kirby's claim to possess. Does anybody have anything bad to say about them? How does their price compare to Pettit Easypoxy?

Peter Black

Keith Wilson
03-20-2001, 04:55 PM
No, they don't, but you can call them at 508-997-9008. I got my color chart about a week after I called them, along with a hand-written letter from George Kirby himself - felt like I'd been dropped into another century.

Keith Wilson
No, they don't, but you can call them at 508-997-9008. I got my color chart about a week after I called them, along with a hand-written letter from George Kirby himself - felt like I'd been dropped into another century.

Keith Wilson

Stu Fyfe
03-20-2001, 07:18 PM
You can't go wrong with the Kirby people or their products. If you live nearby, go there yourself. You'll be in for a treat. Their paint is so much better than anything else I've tried.

Stu Fyfe
You can't go wrong with the Kirby people or their products. If you live nearby, go there yourself. You'll be in for a treat. Their paint is so much better than anything else I've tried.

Stu Fyfe

Eb
03-20-2001, 07:23 PM
Last batch of quarts was $16.66 for white and $18.66 for colors including shipping to CA, if my memory is still working. Great stuff, and I love the handwritten notes.

Eb

Eb
Last batch of quarts was $16.66 for white and $18.66 for colors including shipping to CA, if my memory is still working. Great stuff, and I love the handwritten notes.

Eb

Eb

Eb

Wayne Jeffers
03-20-2001, 08:24 PM
Call the number. Chances are you will talk to George himself. I got my color chart and price list about a week or 10 days after I called. My first order should arrive any day.

Prices for quarts are $16.66 for white, black, and about 20 other colors, $18.66 for several dark colors, and $19.67 for bright red, yellow, and orange. Gallons are $49.00 to $59.00. I believe all come in gloss or semi-gloss.

Wayne

Wayne Jeffers
Call the number. Chances are you will talk to George himself. I got my color chart and price list about a week or 10 days after I called. My first order should arrive any day.

Prices for quarts are $16.66 for white, black, and about 20 other colors, $18.66 for several dark colors, and $19.67 for bright red, yellow, and orange. Gallons are $49.00 to $59.00. I believe all come in gloss or semi-gloss.

Wayne

Wayne Jeffers

Wayne

Bob Cleek
03-20-2001, 08:39 PM
AND... they sell RED LEAD! Can't build a wooden boat without red lead, can ya?

Bob Cleek

Bob Cleek

Paul
03-20-2001, 08:45 PM
Kirby's is the best. Just after Christmas this year I received a package from Kirby's in the mail, plus a hand written note. Knew I hadn't ordered anything so it was a surprise. When I opened it, Mr. Kirby had sent me a 2001 Calendar. How bout that! I will be a customer of theirs as long as I need paint.

Paul
Kirby's is the best. Just after Christmas this year I received a package from Kirby's in the mail, plus a hand written note. Knew I hadn't ordered anything so it was a surprise. When I opened it, Mr. Kirby had sent me a 2001 Calendar. How bout that! I will be a customer of theirs as long as I need paint.

Paul

Don Maurer
03-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Actually, they do have a web site.

http://www.kirbypaint.com/index.htm

Don Maurer

Don Maurer

Ed Nye
03-20-2001, 11:54 PM
Thanks Don. You have done us a service in providing the link. Been using their paint for some time. Great stuff.
Ed

Ed Nye
Thanks Don. You have done us a service in providing the link. Been using their paint for some time. Great stuff.
Ed

Ed Nye
Ed

Art Read
03-21-2001, 03:16 AM
Another vote... Just put the first coat of semi-gloss on my topsides a few days back. Still can't walk away from the shop without looking back over my shoulder four or five times at least! (George sent me a hat, a bunch of old news clippings about the business and and an old label from the 1800s, "suitable for framing", as he put it. Nice guy!)

Art Read
Another vote... Just put the first coat of semi-gloss on my topsides a few days back. Still can't walk away from the shop without looking back over my shoulder four or five times at least! (George sent me a hat, a bunch of old news clippings about the business and and an old label from the 1800s, "suitable for framing", as he put it. Nice guy!)

Art Read

Scott Rosen
03-21-2001, 08:42 AM
Ditto to all of the above comments. You can't go wrong buying from Kirby.

I hear he makes a copper antifouling paint. I'm tempted to try it this year.

He recently sent me a nice package with a hat, calendar and some other good stuff. This man not only knows how to make paint, he knows how to take care of his business and his customers too.

I used the gloss white on Patience's topsides. It's a beautiful paint that has exactly the look I was hoping for. A classic sheen with just the right depth, not at all plastic looking. I used his #1 green/grey semigloss on my nutshell. It may be one of the prettiest colors I've ever seen. It was even better than I was hoping for.

Why would anyone want to buy a paint called "easypoxy"? There are some Pettit products I like, but they paid their marketing gurus way too much to come up with a silly name like that. To me, any product that says "easy" on it reminds me of snake oil. Any can that says "poxy" but is only a one part paint makes me wonder if Pettit thinks its customers aren't very bright.

[This message has been edited by Scott Rosen (edited 03-21-2001).]

Scott Rosen

He recently sent me a nice package with a hat, calendar and some other good stuff. This man not only knows how to make paint, he knows how to take care of his business and his customers too.

I used the gloss white on Patience's topsides. It's a beautiful paint that has exactly the look I was hoping for. A classic sheen with just the right depth, not at all plastic looking. I used his #1 green/grey semigloss on my nutshell. It may be one of the prettiest colors I've ever seen. It was even better than I was hoping for.

Why would anyone want to buy a paint called "easypoxy"? There are some Pettit products I like, but they paid their marketing gurus way too much to come up with a silly name like that. To me, any product that says "easy" on it reminds me of snake oil. Any can that says "poxy" but is only a one part paint makes me wonder if Pettit thinks its customers aren't very bright.

Scott Rosen

Peter Black
03-21-2001, 10:55 AM
Thanks everybody for your supportive comments. Thanks Don for that web site. Vancouver Island is a long way away from Maine but thanks to you it just got a whole lot closer. Not one negative reply, not a bad score.
Pete

Peter Black
Thanks everybody for your supportive comments. Thanks Don for that web site. Vancouver Island is a long way away from Maine but thanks to you it just got a whole lot closer. Not one negative reply, not a bad score.
Pete

Peter Black
Pete

landlocked sailor
03-21-2001, 01:11 PM
Last month we had a thread re: paints. I responded with my regimen. The next day I received an e-mail from George Kirby offering me a free quart of his marine enamel in my choice of color. The package came yesterday: a custom mixed color along with color samples and a nice hand-written note. Why would I ever buy from anyone else! Rick

landlocked sailor
Last month we had a thread re: paints. I responded with my regimen. The next day I received an e-mail from George Kirby offering me a free quart of his marine enamel in my choice of color. The package came yesterday: a custom mixed color along with color samples and a nice hand-written note. Why would I ever buy from anyone else! Rick

landlocked sailor

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
03-21-2001, 05:42 PM
Kirby is great! They even custom matched a colour for me at no extra charge. A pleasant experience both times I purchased from them. I strongly recommend them to all! http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
Kirby is great! They even custom matched a colour for me at no extra charge. A pleasant experience both times I purchased from them. I strongly recommend them to all! http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Andreas Jordahl Rhude

Jon Agne
03-21-2001, 11:27 PM
I tried Kirby for the first time last year when I ordered a quart of his "bronze green" for my rub rail. It was wonderful! It was smooth, creamy and brushed on beautifully.

I've used paints from most of the regular manufacturers, and the only one that comes close is Z-Spar with Pettit running second. Interlux makes fine paint (yacht enamel) but I find it tends to be harder and glossier then Pettit and Z-Spar......it looks too perfect for an old 25' Crosby catboat......I buy it because I like Bristol Beige for my house top.

I liked Kirby so much, and since he will match any color you want (even the discontinued ones) I'm thinking of ordering everything from him this year except for the bottom paint. For that, I'm partial to Gloucester 541 (green) Sea Jacket (on sale now at Jamestown Distributors) which serves me very well up here in Maine. I'm also told that this is what the Maine Maritime Museum uses.

Jon Agne
I tried Kirby for the first time last year when I ordered a quart of his "bronze green" for my rub rail. It was wonderful! It was smooth, creamy and brushed on beautifully.

I've used paints from most of the regular manufacturers, and the only one that comes close is Z-Spar with Pettit running second. Interlux makes fine paint (yacht enamel) but I find it tends to be harder and glossier then Pettit and Z-Spar......it looks too perfect for an old 25' Crosby catboat......I buy it because I like Bristol Beige for my house top.

I liked Kirby so much, and since he will match any color you want (even the discontinued ones) I'm thinking of ordering everything from him this year except for the bottom paint. For that, I'm partial to Gloucester 541 (green) Sea Jacket (on sale now at Jamestown Distributors) which serves me very well up here in Maine. I'm also told that this is what the Maine Maritime Museum uses.

Jon Agne

Ed Harrow
03-22-2001, 12:35 PM
Peter, the odds are that a post office (given that we're talking two) screwed up, or you're http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif thinking you mailed the letter. If your note got to Kirby's there was a response.

Ed Harrow
Peter, the odds are that a post office (given that we're talking two) screwed up, or you're http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif thinking you mailed the letter. If your note got to Kirby's there was a response.

Ed Harrow

B. Burnside
03-28-2001, 10:24 PM
Hey, another Vancouver Islander!

This thread makes me want to brave the Canadian currency crisis and CCARA to try some Kirby paint! With our dollar at .63 US plus shipping and customs, we're likely to pay about twice list price when the stuff arrives, but if it's as good as folks say, it would probably be worth it. We spoke with Mr. Kirby when we were looking for Alerion Green for a project last year, and he was very helpful and gracious. Time constraints precluded ordering from him then, but he generously shared the recipe for the color with us.

And Peter - welcome to the Forum!

B. Burnside

This thread makes me want to brave the Canadian currency crisis and CCARA to try some Kirby paint! With our dollar at .63 US plus shipping and customs, we're likely to pay about twice list price when the stuff arrives, but if it's as good as folks say, it would probably be worth it. We spoke with Mr. Kirby when we were looking for Alerion Green for a project last year, and he was very helpful and gracious. Time constraints precluded ordering from him then, but he generously shared the recipe for the color with us.

B. Burnside

Jamie Hascall
03-29-2001, 09:52 AM
At the risk of speaking against the grain of this thread, (and no offense to George and his wonderful company and paint), for those on the west coast, I found that Farwest Paints in Tukwila (near Seattle) makes a beautiful high solids enamel at an amazingly good price. I just used it on Victoria's topsides and was very pleased at the result. I have not used Kirby's to compare it to, and I really enjoyed talking to George, but I have a hard time shipping things like paints thousands of miles. You can check them out at http://www.farwestpaintmfg.com.

I'll have to get together with Art to check out the Kirbys so we can make a comparison and give a more objective report.

Jamie

[This message has been edited by Jamie Hascall (edited 03-29-2001).]

Jamie Hascall
At the risk of speaking against the grain of this thread, (and no offense to George and his wonderful company and paint), for those on the west coast, I found that Farwest Paints in Tukwila (near Seattle) makes a beautiful high solids enamel at an amazingly good price. I just used it on Victoria's topsides and was very pleased at the result. I have not used Kirby's to compare it to, and I really enjoyed talking to George, but I have a hard time shipping things like paints thousands of miles. You can check them out at http://www.farwestpaintmfg.com.

I'll have to get together with Art to check out the Kirbys so we can make a comparison and give a more objective report.

Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Jamie

svey001
03-30-2001, 01:10 PM
Does anybody know what kind of primer should be used over epoxy before putting Kirby topside paint?

svey001
Does anybody know what kind of primer should be used over epoxy before putting Kirby topside paint?

svey001

T.KAMILA
03-31-2001, 06:13 AM
I just painted over epoxy with Kerby paint. I called MAS epoxy and asked them what to do and they told me they have never had a finish fail over their epoxy. Kirby said to just paint over the epoxy without using primer or transition coat and thatís what I did. No problems. Kirby is great paint from nice people with good service. Hope we never lose them.
You have to talk to the epoxy manufacturer to find out if you need a transition coat or special primer. Then call Kirby to find out if their paint has a problem with what ever is on under it.

T.KAMILA
I just painted over epoxy with Kerby paint. I called MAS epoxy and asked them what to do and they told me they have never had a finish fail over their epoxy. Kirby said to just paint over the epoxy without using primer or transition coat and thatís what I did. No problems. Kirby is great paint from nice people with good service. Hope we never lose them.
You have to talk to the epoxy manufacturer to find out if you need a transition coat or special primer. Then call Kirby to find out if their paint has a problem with what ever is on under it.

T.KAMILA

T.KAMILA
04-04-2001, 07:01 PM
I might add that the epoxy was well cured and the surface was sanded with 120 grit to smooth the last coat of epoxy and to prep for the paint.

T.KAMILA
I might add that the epoxy was well cured and the surface was sanded with 120 grit to smooth the last coat of epoxy and to prep for the paint.

T.KAMILA

Jim H
02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
The Kirby home page moved, the current address is Kirby Paint (http://www.kirbypaint.com/index.html)

Jim H
The Kirby home page moved, the current address is Kirby Paint (http://www.kirbypaint.com/index.html)

Jim H

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Just called and asked for a color card to be sent to me. Getting ready for that new Atkin cat ketch, Drooool smile.gif Oh the colors what should she be the mind boggles smile.gif

Joe (SoCal)
Just called and asked for a color card to be sent to me. Getting ready for that new Atkin cat ketch, Drooool smile.gif Oh the colors what should she be the mind boggles smile.gif

Joe (SoCal)

Carlsboats
02-21-2005, 08:57 AM
There are lots of good paints out there, even a few that are as forgiving to apply at Kirby's.
What has taken me back to Kirby is their colors --they have just the shades that seem right for
traditional boats, new or old. And, as noted by others, the fabulous service and courtesyt.

Carlsboats
There are lots of good paints out there, even a few that are as forgiving to apply at Kirby's.
What has taken me back to Kirby is their colors --they have just the shades that seem right for
traditional boats, new or old. And, as noted by others, the fabulous service and courtesyt.

Carlsboats

Bayboat
02-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Add this old boatbuilder's vote for Kirby. Great colors, especially for old wooden boats, and great service. The website (Kirbypaint.com)is currently down for revision.

Bayboat
Add this old boatbuilder's vote for Kirby. Great colors, especially for old wooden boats, and great service. The website (Kirbypaint.com)is currently down for revision.

Bayboat