PDA

View Full Version : school shooting

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 04:43 PM
anyone?

http://gma.yahoo.com/texas-student-fatally-shot-campus-police-traffic-stop-125744485--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

Flying Orca
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Sounds like the investigation is proceeding apace, the cop involved is on administrative leave, and nobody is saying - yet - why "a struggle ensued" and led to the shooting.

In other words, not much to say, really, except that the authorities seem to be handling it appropriately. Do you have a comment?

JimD
12-09-2013, 04:48 PM
It wasn't a 'school shooting'. Although the victim may have been shot six times by the cop during a 'struggle'. Another version: http://www.alternet.org/unarmed-college-student-killed-campus-cop

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Sounds like the investigation is proceeding apace, the cop involved is on administrative leave, and nobody is saying - yet - why "a struggle ensued" and led to the shooting.

In other words, not much to say, really, except that the authorities seem to be handling it appropriately. Do you have a comment?

when did the appropriate stuff start... when the gun went off?

Flying Orca
12-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Well, we don't have any way of knowing that, now, do we? That's why they're investigating, presumably. The cop's actions may have been appropriate all along.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Well, we don't have any way of knowing that, now, do we? That's why they're investigating, presumably. The cop's actions may have been appropriate all along.

where did you come down on Travon Marton... trial or no trial?

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Aren't you jumping to a conclusion?

There is not yet enough information available to be able to venture an intelligent comment. But that doesn't appear to stop you.

As for the thread title... the incident occurred off campus. So how does this qualify as a "school shooting?"

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Phillip, are you looking to come to a conclusion based exclusively on the little information that exists, before investigation?

Is THAT how you form opinions?

Now, why does that sound like the bilge coming to a conclusion before information on the Martin Zimmerman 'case' "It's RACISM, I tell ya!"

SMARTINSEN
12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
where did you come down on Travon[sic] Marton[sic]... trial or no trial?

No trial, he was shot to death, some would say murdered.

Flying Orca
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
where did you come down on Travon Marton... trial or no trial?

I think my take on the Martin/Zimmerman case (for an aspiring journalist, you sure seem to have trouble getting the victim's name right) has been quite consistent, but then I didn't formulate it until the facts had come out:

1) Martin doesn't appear to have been doing anything wrong before being followed by Zimmerman.
2) Zimmerman appears to have followed Martin for no good reason, thereby setting in motion the chain of events that led to Martin's death at Zimmerman's hands. This makes Zimmerman culpable in my opinion.
3) We don't know which of them physically assaulted the other first, and we never will. Likewise, we don't know whether the person who initiated the physical assault did so out of legitimate fear for his own safety.
4) We do know that an innocent kid ended up dead because Zimmerman had a gun and followed Martin. If he hadn't had a gun, or hadn't followed Martin, an innocent kid likely wouldn't have died.

That's pretty much my take, then and now. Now, how is that relevant to my response to your post? (And no chickenspit garbage about connecting the dots - if you have something to say, say it.)

Ian McColgin
12-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Gosh, maybe you ought to start a third thread on this incident.

LeeG
12-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Wait, is this the no comment thread?

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Yep. The first iteration.

Ian McColgin
12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
No, the other thread is no comment. This thread is for Phillip to comment on other's comments but to make no comment on the topic of the OP's cite.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Well, since you seem to really want a comment, if the cop had been unarmed, as in Iceland, the kid would still be alive, eh?

Ian McColgin
12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
I didn't want a comment. I want Phillip to clip the cite over for a third thread on this.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Phillip, are you looking to come to a conclusion based exclusively on the little information that exists, before investigation?

Is THAT how you form opinions?

surprising comment coming from the bilge left now, ain't it? :)

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
I swear you are just like a monkey at a zoo who loves throwing scat.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I swear you are just like a monkey at a zoo who loves throwing scat.

I thought you said calling someone a monkey was racist?

LeeG
12-09-2013, 09:08 PM

I thought you weren't making a comment!

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:10 PM
I didn't call you a monkey.

I employed a simile. Do you know what that is?

LeeG
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I didn't call you a monkey.

I employed a simile. Do you know what that is?

Down the rabbit hole you go

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Debating Phillip Allen is like playing cards with kids.

That was the use of another simile.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 09:16 PM
I thought you weren't making a comment!

keep practicing

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 09:17 PM
so, any intellegent thoughts on the school shooting?

do you reckon the cop chased him down and killed him because he feared for his life?

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes I think it is. No, I never said so on the WBF.

Don't believe me? Provide a link to one of my posts that proves me wrong.

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:21 PM

do you reckon the cop chased him down and killed him because he feared for his life?
There is not enough information available for anyone to offer an intelligent opinion.

Not that such a lack of facts will stop you.

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Why do you insist on calling this a "school shooting?"

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 09:24 PM
There is not enough information available for anyone to offer an intelligent opinion.

Not that such a lack of facts will stop you.

and your stand on the Zimmerman case early on?

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
You have clearly demonstrated that you have no clue as to my positions on past issues. So give up on that attempt at diversion.

What is this thread about?

Try to focus.

And try answering a question before asking one.

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Phillip Allen: You are, with your thread title, straining mightily to pass off a logical fallacy known as a "false equivalence."

Go, thou, and sin no more.

Paul Pless
12-09-2013, 09:41 PM

this from the guy who arrogantly stated on other similar topical threads, such as his beloved trayvon martin, that he wouldn't leap to conclusions or form an opinion until he knew all the facts. . . .

roflmao, i haven't seen anybody troll this hard to no avail in a long time

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm guessing he is bored and experiencing some cabin fever. And this is only early December.

God help us.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2013, 09:45 PM
this from the guy who arrogantly stated on other similar topical threads, such as his beloved trayvon martin, that he wouldn't leap to conclusions or form an opinion until he knew all the facts. . . .

roflmao, i haven't seen anybody troll this hard to no avail in a long time

I got shouted down by the lynch mob... so I'm showing what it looks like from the 'other' direction... you're BUSTED

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2013, 09:47 PM
The "lynch mob" is a figment of your fevered, paranoid imagination.

You have never been shouted down. Only out debated.

Grow up. Get real.

By the way, your last post is what we mean by "IAAPA."

Phillip Allen
12-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I got shouted down by the lynch mob... so I'm showing what it looks like from the 'other' direction... you're BUSTED

Well... THAT seems to have shut them up :)

TomF
12-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Debating Phillip Allen is like playing cards with kids.

That was the use of another simile.Hmmph. Playing the playing card card. (:D)

Phillip Allen
12-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Hmmph. Playing the playing card card. (:D)

:):)