PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone In Here Sail On The Columia River Or Have Experience On It?

klickitat
12-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I grew up in the Columbia river gorge, but didn't have a lot to do with boating and I really can not remember seeing any sailing vessels on her, with the exception of windsurfers|:( whole other topic.

What I would like to know is if anyone sales on the Columbia and if you were to acquire a smallish sailing vessel for scooting up the rive and drift back down, what type of boat would you be thinking about.

Remember that the above is from a noob. I am not looking to go sailing in the morning. All I am looking for is a design that would work well for that type of an application so that I can spend some time reading about those particular designs that are mentioned.

Thanks.

Ian McColgin
12-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Forty years ago when I sailed out there we did lots of day sailing up and down from greater Portland and down to Astoria. I did a little cruising up towards Hood River but it's really more interesting for a sailor going downstream.

Have fun & G'luck

James McMullen
12-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I lived in Portland for 12 years. The lower Columbia is an excellent place for a sail & oar boat, or a kayak to weave its way through the islands and channels. But I found it to be more pleasant and interesting the further downstream I got away from the city, like from Longview down.

David G
12-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Give me a call. Easier to talk on the phone than type.

klickitat
12-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks David for your time. It is greatly appreciated

Dave Wright
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Weekly racing between I-5 and 205 bridges off Vancouver in season, typically 50 plus boats in assorted classes.

http://syscosailing.org

A Cal 20 would be a good starter boat for you. Good used boats at reasonable cost, lots of fellow sailors, able enough for high winds if you're further up river, no wood to mess with.

Yeadon
12-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Weekly racing between I-5 and 205 bridges off Vancouver in season, typically 50 plus boats in assorted classes.

http://syscosailing.org

A Cal 20 would be a good starter boat for you. Good used boats at reasonable cost, lots of fellow sailors, able enough for high winds if you're further up river, no wood to mess with.

I learned to sail between the bridges on a boat just like that. The wind was strong and consistent. There was plenty of current to keep things interesting. Good fun all around.

Barbinskate
12-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I sail on the Columbia near Portland, when the conditions are right in a 18' open sail and oar boat. I also row in a 15' guideboat from time to time. Depending on what you want to do, there are lots of boats that could work. The Cal 20s mentioned above are very affordable and there's a supportive fleet in Portland- but then you have to pay for moorage. Scott Sadil sailed from Astoria (http://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding-news-events/scott-sadil-completes-upriver-voyage.html) all the way up to Idaho on the river in a 17' CLC boat.

The big thing I've learned about the Columbia is hitting at the right time of year so that current and wind work in your favor.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk more.

-Bruce

Autonomous
12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Klickitat, what part of the river do you want to sail? Does the boat have to be trailerable?
Most swing keel boats wont be satisfactory in the Gorge. Santana 22's thrive in the wind and chop found there.

Steve

klickitat
12-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Some day I would love to go from Bonneville to The Dalles and back down.

Autonomous
12-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Maybe we should talk about how often you want to sail and how flexible your schedule is.