PDA

View Full Version : Need Info On George Neuss - Lk Union shipwright thru 1961

HOT WASB CODE WADDY
04-09-2001, 09:36 PM
I own the last boat this gentleman built in 1961 before he died . I have little information on him but understand he was of some renown in the Seattle area, If you have any direct or leading info I would appreciate a note...

My boat is a Monk Sr. designed 44' twin gas RDMY launched by Blanchard shipyards, Lake Uion when Neuss died during completion in 1962.

The client knew Monk and they convinced this man to build just one more boat before retiring against his wifes wishes. I would like to honor his skill and craftsmanship and his life somehow, in the log at least.

thanx - Mike

Nicholas Carey
04-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by HOT WASB CODE WADDY:
[B]I own the last boat this gentleman built in 1961 before he died . I have little information on him but understand he was of some renown in the Seattle area, If you have any direct or leading info I would appreciate a note...

Give MOHI a ring in Seattle (Museum of History And Industry). That's a good place to start -- they've got a sizeable archive of ships plans, drawings, photos, etc. Also, try the Center For Wooden Boats in Seattle (206/782.5000, http://www.cwb.org) -- someone there might well know.

Or conceivably, you could write a letter to Norman C. Blanchard, the proprietor of the old Blanchard yard -- he's still alive and kicking. The Center For Wooden Boats could forward a letter to him. Mr. Blanchard can probably tell you more than you want to know about your shipwright and your boat. He's a hoot.

Take a look at his book _Knee Deep In Shavings: Memories of Early Yachting and Boatbuilding on the West Coast_. It's available from the WoodenBoat Store or a bookstore near you.

Hope this helps.

N.