PDA

View Full Version : Harry Reid Exempts Staffers from Zerocare

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Washington (CNN) -- Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, one of Obamacare's architects and staunchest supporters, is also the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the law's new exchanges.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/politics/reid-obamacare-staff/index.html

ccmanuals
12-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Doesn't the law also say that if your current medical plan meets the standards of the law then you can continue with that plan if desired? Should this part of the law apply to everyone else except congressional civil service staffers? In the Federal Gov't each civil service employee gets to make their own personal decision as to what insurance plan under FEHB or the Federal Exchange they want. Harry Reid or any other elected representative does not get a vote on selecting the health care plan for gov't employees.

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 10:21 AM
In the same way that the 85% of us who already have employer-provided care are also 'exempted'. :rolleyes:

Are you directly paid to bolster government propaganda or is your online mission to simply defend the trough your straw sucks from?

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 10:25 AM
You must have missed this part Norman:

"Reid is the exception among the other top congressional leaders. GOP House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have all directed their staffs to join the exchange, their aides said."

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Try making an argument that isn't just an ad hominem.

That wasn't intended as an argument related to this topic Norman, just a very accurate assessment of lilJ in general based on years of observation. Believe it, directly or indirectly this guy's straw in in the government trough.

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 10:44 AM
It is, nonethless, still a purely theatrical excercise, without ANY substance.... and it means nothing and adds nothing to the debate. Faux Scandals That's all reds have so they go with it. Over and over and over and over...

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 10:47 AM
That is their decision, according to the law. There's absolutely nothing substantive about any of this. Boehner and McConnell have obvious political reasons to not exempt any of their staff. I don't know why Pelosi didn't, but I'd be interested in her answer.

It is, nonethless, still a purely theatrical excercise, without ANY substance.... and it means nothing and adds nothing to the debate. The ACA was created for he entire nation... what Congress does personally is irrelevant.

According to the law, you mean the one democrats passed to find out what was in it? Oh, that's a great excuse for such gross hypocrisy from a man with an instrumental role in passing this monstrosity. Obviously, the ACA is a lousy deal for Reid's staffers as it is for so many others, but as for the rest of America; "let them eat cake"

The truth remains, this example of gross hypocrisy is extremely relevant philosophically when it comes to illustrating how the elite setting policy don't live by the same rules they foist on the masses. What I don't understand is how otherwise intelligent people born into a system created by liberty can be so deceived on so many levels! Wow.....

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 10:50 AM
you mean the one democrats passed to find out what was in it?That's true of every law. If you had any inkling of the process you'd know that.

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 10:53 AM
The truth remains, this example of gross hypocrisy is extremely relevant philosophically when it comes to illustrating how the elite setting policy don't live by the same rules they foist on the masses. What I don't understand is how otherwise intelligent people born into a system created by liberty can be so deceived on so many levels! Wow.....The Truth? You're so divorced from reality you'll never know the difference between truth and FoxNews fantasy.

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM
That's true of every law. If you had any inkling of the process you'd know that.

Do you have the fortitude to spend two full minutes in a mode of intellectual honesty? If not, skip to 1:02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5t8GdxFYBU

Rick-Mi
12-04-2013, 11:22 AM
If you're STILL repeating that myth, then it's pretty obvious that your search for the truth is... shall we say... selective.

None is so blind as one who will not see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU

And did you watch the link in post #14 Norman? Guess our eyes and ears were deceiving us there too.....

Gerarddm
12-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Yawn.

Single payer solves all ills. Deal with it.

wardd
12-04-2013, 11:37 AM
According to the law, you mean the one democrats passed to find out what was in it? Oh, that's a great excuse for such gross hypocrisy from a man with an instrumental role in passing this monstrosity. Obviously, the ACA is a lousy deal for Reid's staffers as it is for so many others, but as for the rest of America; "let them eat cake"

The truth remains, this example of gross hypocrisy is extremely relevant philosophically when it comes to illustrating how the elite setting policy don't live by the same rules they foist on the masses. What I don't understand is how otherwise intelligent people born into a system created by liberty can be so deceived on so many levels! Wow.....

is getting insurance a lousy deal for those without insurance?

wardd
12-04-2013, 11:40 AM
give him points for sincerity

John Smith
12-04-2013, 12:33 PM
You must have missed this part Norman:

"Reid is the exception among the other top congressional leaders. GOP House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have all directed their staffs to join the exchange, their aides said."

I can understand an elected official going to the exchanges. I cannot understand why their staff would have to.

Maybe you can explain that to me.

John Smith
12-04-2013, 12:36 PM
That's true of every law. If you had any inkling of the process you'd know that.

This quote "you mean the one democrats passed to find out what was in it?" is itself disingenuous. Pelosi was asked a question about something still being debated. She had no way of knowing how that debate would end.

pkrone
12-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Yawn.

Single payer solves all ills. Deal with it.

You're a fool if you truly believe this. Single payer is probably the best option, but it certainly won't solve all ills.

John Smith
12-04-2013, 12:40 PM
This is likely worth the read

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/05/congress-and-an-exemption-from-obamacare/

S.V. Airlie
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Out of curiosity, how can one man, granted the Sen majority chair, exempt anyone? Isn't the THE PRESIDENT'S job? Can Reid also pardon felons in jail?Or pardon a turkey at Thanksgiving? What gives REID THE RIGHT?

Mrleft8
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Laws passed by man are subject to ridicule by the Gods.

McMike
12-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Rick-Mi, down in flames again, to bad there are real issues for you to bring up while, instead, you choose to harp on BS that you insist on regurgitating. FYI, you are the chick that needs to be feed, I've grown up from those days and prefer to feed myself. I like my food pure and honest, not mixed with bile and stench.

jclays
12-04-2013, 09:21 PM
is getting insurance a lousy deal for those without insurance?
Just for those who have to pay to subsidize it.

S.V. Airlie
12-05-2013, 09:02 AM
It's actually written into the law. Congress voted on it, and passed it... a provision forced by Republicans, not Democrats.

THAT is what gives him the right.Well, if the REPUBs forced the Dems into it, Norman, the Dems are certainly taking advantage of it; Pelosi, Ried etc. I guess that arm twisting wasn't so much arm twisting as opposed to a Dem outcry,"Oh, IT HURTS, okay we'll concede, Ouch!" .

Keith Wilson
12-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Just for those who have to pay to subsidize it."I've got mine, bub, screw you!"

LeeG
12-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Are you directly paid to bolster government propaganda or is your online mission to simply defend the trough your straw sucks from?

This is what Jamie was talking about. Tossing crap at someone right out the gate.

Phillip Allen
12-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Well, you're wrong about that. I work for a major private-sector company.

Haliburton?

John of Phoenix
12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Just for those who have to pay to subsidize it.Every insurance payment you make subsidizes someone.

Insurance of every kind, car, house, liability, health, you name it, is the worst possible investment you can make. Until you need it.

Phillip Allen
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Every insurance payment you make subsidizes someone.

Insurance of every kind, car, house, liability, health, you name it, is the worst possible investment you can make. Until you need it.

how do you feel about subsidizing big banks and Haliburton? :)

John of Phoenix
12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
How do banks and Haliburton relate to the insurance discussion?

Phillip Allen
12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
How do banks and Haliburton relate to the insurance discussion?

to the subsidization discussion... nice try but you set yourself up

John of Phoenix
12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
YOU are having the banks and Haliburton subsidization discussion. All by yourself. You brought them up out of no where and they relate to nothing in the thread. Do you realize that?

John Smith
12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, if the REPUBs forced the Dems into it, Norman, the Dems are certainly taking advantage of it; Pelosi, Ried etc. I guess that arm twisting wasn't so much arm twisting as opposed to a Dem outcry,"Oh, IT HURTS, okay we'll concede, Ouch!" .

Do you think Congressional staffers should be treated any differently than other federal employees?

John Smith
12-05-2013, 03:54 PM

What is continually forgotten is WE pay for the ER visits of the uninsured. FACT is, as a consumer and/or as a tax payer, WE PAY FOR EVERYONE'S HEALTH INSURANCE, PENSION, ETC.

ccmanuals
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
What is continually forgotten is WE pay for the ER visits of the uninsured. FACT is, as a consumer and/or as a tax payer, WE PAY FOR EVERYONE'S HEALTH INSURANCE, PENSION, ETC.

The federal gov't (our tax dollars) also directly subsidize public hospital emergency care. This subsidy that is made directly to hospitals will stop with the medicaid expansion. So those states that don't take the medicaid expansion are screwing themselves twice.

S.V. Airlie
12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Do you think Congressional staffers should be treated any differently than other federal employees?No! Nor do I think elected officials should be But, they think they are special. Look, They were born naked and will die basically that way. Sure, might have a nice tombstone on their graves but, worm food doesn't taste any different than us plebs. I doubt whether the worms care!

Phillip Allen
12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
YOU are having the banks and Haliburton subsidization discussion. All by yourself. You brought them up out of no where and they relate to nothing in the thread. Do you realize that?

here's the nowhere I got it from:

every tax payment we make subsidizes someone!
if the insurance payment is enforced by law, it's pretty close to a tax

Figmental
12-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Other lawmakers also are exempting staff, some entirely, according to news reports.
Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., has said he was keeping his aides on their current Federal Employees Health Benefits coverage. Likewise for Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, and Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, has placed his personal staff in the exchanges but exempted his aides on the Senate Finance Committee.
Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, also is keeping his committee staff on the federal plan. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., the ranking Republican on the committee, is doing the same.

ccmanuals
12-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Other lawmakers also are exempting staff, some entirely, according to news reports.
Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., has said he was keeping his aides on their current Federal Employees Health Benefits coverage. Likewise for Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, and Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, has placed his personal staff in the exchanges but exempted his aides on the Senate Finance Committee.
Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, also is keeping his committee staff on the federal plan. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., the ranking Republican on the committee, is doing the same.

Smoke and mirrors. Lawmakers don't get a vote on what health insurance plan a civil service employee makes. It's the employees individual decision. That's just a fact.

hokiefan
12-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Smoke and mirrors. Lawmakers don't get a vote on what health insurance plan a civil service employee makes. It's the employees individual decision. That's just a fact.

Except the ACA forces all Congress-critters and their staff to use the ACA exchanges instead of the standard civil service insurance options. But apparently the law also allows the Congressman to exempt his staff, all or in part, and allow them to stay on the standard plans. So its not all the employees individual decision for Congressional staff. Makes complete sense to me (NOT).

Cheers,

Bobby

Phillip Allen
12-05-2013, 09:26 PM

anyone getting suspicious yet?

ccmanuals
12-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Except the ACA forces all Congress-critters and their staff to use the ACA exchanges instead of the standard civil service insurance options. But apparently the law also allows the Congressman to exempt his staff, all or in part, and allow them to stay on the standard plans. So its not all the employees individual decision for Congressional staff. Makes complete sense to me (NOT).

Cheers,

Bobby

A little known secret is that most congressional staffers are not found on the UMD (unit manning document) for Congress. They are on the UMD for other agencies and are temporarily (with no actual end date) assigned to the hill. This post will self destruct in 60 minutes.

hokiefan
12-05-2013, 09:47 PM
anyone getting suspicious yet?

Of what? That Congressmen may be trying to help their staff by allowing them to keep the insurance they already have? What's to be suspicious of? Seriously.

Bobby

David G
12-05-2013, 10:36 PM
So... just another ginned-up bit of disinformation, another 'nontroversy' courtesy of the chattering Right Wing idiots, and their blind followers:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/543345_586026478093476_487441096_n.jpg

Phillip Allen
12-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Of what? That Congressmen may be trying to help their staff by allowing them to keep the insurance they already have? What's to be suspicious of? Seriously.

Bobby

no? I guess not...