PDA

View Full Version : ACA Irony

Paul Pless
12-03-2013, 05:36 PM
The two most important groups of people with regards to signing up for the ACA, young people and people who currently do not have health insurance and will benefit from subsidies, are the least knowledgeable of the ACA and apparently are the least interested in learning about it.

On the flip side, the three groups most knowledgeable of the ACA are those above the age of 65, those that are the highest earners, and those that have employer provided health insurance. Meaning the people that know the most about the ACA are either ineligible for it or not interested in purchasing it.

Also interesting is that the more knowledgeable you are about the ACA, the more likely you are to oppose it.

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/xuwf5rwhi0gi-9rda77_ha.png

David G
12-03-2013, 07:05 PM
More 'unsurprising' than 'ironic'.

peb
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I find it hard to believe that 88% of Republicans are familiar with it.

I have no doubt that they've heard something about it.... but so much of what they think they know isn't actually true.

We see it all the time here in the Bilge, and I have no reason to think the broader sample of Republicans is any better informed.

The opposite has been my experience in this bilge. I can think of 3 major aspects of the law, which when I described, libs in this bilge knew nothing about: eg limits on insurance companies overhead and profit ( first time I described my potential cost I was told it was gouging by the insurance companies by one and all), or the fact that new policies offered direct by insurance companies had to be ACA compliant and same as plans offered on exchange.

Those are two glaring examples.

John Smith
12-03-2013, 10:38 PM

I have no doubt that they've heard something about it.... but so much of what they think they know isn't actually true.

We see it all the time here in the Bilge, and I have no reason to think the broader sample of Republicans is any better informed.

24% of Republicans believe Obama was born in Kenya.

John Smith
12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
The opposite has been my experience in this bilge. I can think of 3 major aspects of the law, which when I described, libs in this bilge knew nothing about: eg limits on insurance companies overhead and profit ( first time I described my potential cost I was told it was gouging by the insurance companies by one and all), or the fact that new policies offered direct by insurance companies had to be ACA compliant and same as plans offered on exchange.

Those are two glaring examples.

I knew that.

Keith Wilson
12-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Look at the poll question carefully. It asked people how familiar they thought they were with the law. It did not test their actual knowledge. What it tells us is that older people and Republicans believe they know more, not that they actually do. They might or they might not, but we won't find out from that poll.

Art Read
12-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Don't matter. The math doesn't work. People are always talking about people voting against their bests interests. Here's where people get to vote with their pocketbooks. The "young invincibles" have no reason beyond ideology to write checks for this thing as things stand. Let's see how that works. Without 'em, it's all a house of cards....

"Hmmm.... $XXXX.XX, for ACA or $XXX.XX penalty until something bad happens, but then HA! "NO pre-existing condition exclusions!"

Sounds to me like "Catastrophic Insurance". Whoops. (But, hey.... there'll be LOT's of Medicaid enrollments to bolster the "numbers....")

Art Read
12-04-2013, 12:42 AM
But don't worry... The administration is encouraging everyone to have "conversation" over the holiday season about all this. That'll fix it!

Art Read
12-04-2013, 12:49 AM
"Eating leftovers over the Thanksgiving weekend is a GREAT time to bring bring up the ACA with your adult children!" No desperation there!

Paul Girouard
12-04-2013, 12:51 AM
But don't worry... The administration is encouraging everyone to have "conversation" over the holiday season about all this. That'll fix it!

I feel so much better knowing this Art.

LJ I was exaggerating , using satire to make a point. Good grief college boy you take your self and others way to seriously. It's not to big a stretch to say that when things don't work out for the Govt. and people are not compiling with ACA, will put a person outside of the law. Seeing it's a federal law and the "nice" people from IRS are in charge of collecting the money, that a person COULD be bordering on a felony charge.

Do you get it yet? No, I didn't think so.

Art Read
12-04-2013, 12:59 AM
(Whatever happened to "Obamacare", btw? Same memory hole as "Global Warming"? Whoops, I mean "Climate Change"?)

Concordia 33
12-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Look at the poll question carefully. It asked people how familiar they thought they were with the law. It did not test their actual knowledge. What it tells us is that older people and Republicans believe they know more, not that they actually do. They might or they might not, but we won't find out from that poll.

Good Point, but why is it that those that could most benefit don't know and/or aren't trying to know more. Not a trick, just a question. You seem to have good insights into things even though we disagree philosophically quite a bit.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Possibly, it's a case of having been fed massive amounts of misinformation. A 'low information' citizen in a red state may have heard his senator or congressman tell him that Obamacare is the 'greatest threat to America ever devised', and is therefore steadfastly avoiding it.... he/she doesn't want to be subject to a 'death panel', like they've been told.

Its possible. Its also possible (and more likely in my opinion) that these are the people that are least interested in and engaged in politics. And, all sides have admitted that the administration has from the inception of the ACA, and continues to do, a very poor job of marketing and explaining it to the public.

ccmanuals
12-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Most republicans think the ACA is OK. It's that darn Obamacare they don't like. :)

ccmanuals
12-04-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't know which 'libs' you're referring to. I was completely aware of those provisions, myself.

Actually I believe I was the first to actually mention the 80/20 rule.

Keith Wilson
12-04-2013, 11:04 AM
. . . but why is it that those that could most benefit don't know and/or aren't trying to know more. Not a trick, just a question. Straight answer: That poll tells us nothing at all about what people really know, only how much they believe they know. Maybe Republicans really do know more about it. Maybe they just think they do. Maybe they think they do, but what they think they know is wrong. Why knows? In isolation, that poll question tells us almost nothing.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Actually I believe I was the first to actually mention the 80/20 rule.Of course, being well informed politically, an astute critic of the administration, in an upper income level, and already enjoying employer provided Cadillac health insurance; I was aware of the 80/20 rule well before I heard it here. :D But, I must admit that John Smith is who I saw post it here first. . .

peb
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't know which 'libs' you're referring to. I was completely aware of those provisions, myself.
Ok, let me give you the explicit example.
Back in Febuary, I started the following thread:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?159115-Tell-me-again-why-this-is-good-for-us&highlight=ObamaCare

In this, I complained about what my expected ObamaCare premiums would be (extremely close to the actual truth, BTW).

Post #13, by Peeria Maa show that he was unaware of limits on insurance companies profits
Post #20, by Flying Orca diddo
Post #21, by George Jung, diddo

And then....

....Wait for it.....

Post #23 by Norman Bernstein is an agreement with Flying Orca's post 20
and Post #25 by Norman Bernstein shows ignorant of the same provision.

Arguments continued through, but my point is proven.