PDA

View Full Version : what happened?

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 01:19 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080715083325/uncyclopedia/images/8/89/Poof.gif

Steve McMahon
12-02-2013, 01:22 PM
There is something missing but I can't quite put my finger on it.

hokiefan
12-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Who? What? When? Why do I miss all the fun???

Tom Montgomery
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I notice some recent Phillip Allen posts have disappeared. What happened? Is there more going on? Did a thread disappear?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-02-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv8R7T8JNss

John of Phoenix
12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
I notice some recent Phillip Allen posts have disappeared. What happened? Is there more going on? Did a thread disappear?The one where he couldn't think of an acceptable title and was whining and then started calling people asses? That one disappeared? And a bunch of posts? He'll be back below 50,000 at this rate.

Garret
12-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I realize Phillip can be an easy target, but is the constant hammering at him necessary? Seems like every thread he posts (& I get that he leaves himself wide open) - people are jumping his case big time.

'tis the season & all that - maybe we should all give it a bit of a rest?

Just an idea.....

BrianW
12-02-2013, 01:51 PM
The one where he couldn't think of an acceptable title and was whining and then started calling people asses?

True, the title sucked. It's also true that you guys were being rude first. Don't want to be called bad names, then be nice.

But Phillip, if you're still reading this... do work on the title to your threads please. In general, they set a bad tone before even opening them.

Tom Wilkinson
12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
True, the title sucked. It's also true that you guys were being rude first. Don't want to be called bad names, then be nice.

But Phillip, if you're still reading this... do work on the title to your threads please. In general, they set a bad tone before even opening them.

Sorry, but the rudeness was inherent in the thread title and he knew exactly what he was doing by titling it that way. Calling someone on being disingenuous isn't rude. Phillip likes to used this forum as his personal dumping ground and it's quite tiresome.

Hey has no interest in reasonable discussion of any topic, and makes that very clear in his responses.

Full Tilt
12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
I realize Phillip can be an easy target, but is the constant hammering at him necessary? Seems like every thread he posts (& I get that he leaves himself wide open) - people are jumping his case big time.

Just an idea.....

I made the identical plea in the thread that was poofed.

It was after that he called everyone "a**e*".

He brings it on himself. The question is 'why'?

Osborne Russell
12-02-2013, 01:57 PM

Just an idea.....

He asks for it, repeatedly. This here is for sure among the gentler therapies available. Is it effective, is the eternal question.

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Is it effective, is the eternal question.I'm better for it. :D

You?

Full Tilt
12-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey! You're right! :d

Garret
12-02-2013, 02:05 PM

I'm not a shrink ;)

John of Phoenix
12-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Don't want to be called bad names, then be nice."Just don't call me late for dinner" and all that. If called an ass by someone I respect, it would give me pause to think. In this case - no harm, no foul.

do work on the title to your threads please. In general, they set a bad tone before even opening them.

<and>

He asks for it, repeatedly.

<and>

He brings it on himself. The question is 'why'?See the pattern yet, Phillip? You hoist the pinata, beg to get it whacked then complain that it happens.

Canoez
12-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm better for it. :D

You?

So how many times a day does Katherine hit you on the nose with the rolled up newspaper, anyway? ;)

Garret
12-02-2013, 02:09 PM
He asks for it, repeatedly. This here is for sure among the gentler therapies available. Is it effective, is the eternal question.

Obviously not....

However, while he (as I said) does leave himself wide open - do we have to jump his case so vehemently? IOW - are we really better for it - or could this be considered bullying?

When I was younger, most every time I went to a bar, some little guy would choose me (most likely the biggest person in the bar) as today's target. I sure didn't take them up on it - and not just because I don't like fighting and/or they could whup me. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just walk away....

Garret
12-02-2013, 02:10 PM
So how many times a day does Katherine hit you on the nose with the rolled up newspaper, anyway? ;)

I wanna hear her response on this one!!!!!!

Mrleft8
12-02-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm not a shrink ;)

Obviously not....

However, while he (as I said) does leave himself wide open - do we have to jump his case so vehemently? IOW - are we really better for it - or could this be considered bullying?

When I was younger, most every time I went to a bar, some little guy would choose me (most likely the biggest person in the bar) as today's target. I sure didn't take them up on it - and not just because I don't like fighting and/or they could whup me. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just walk away....
Pfffffffffffffftttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yer no monster truck rally champion either, but it shouldn't stop you from pretending every now and then, should it? ;)

Garret
12-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Pfffffffffffffftttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yer no monster truck rally champion either, but it shouldn't stop you from pretending every now and then, should it? ;)

Doing so was/is painful. Trust me.

TomF
12-02-2013, 02:26 PM
I think the forum is one of Phillip's key social interactions. He's fairly isolated, tends towards depression and I think gets lonely ... and that has an impact on how and what he posts. Especially on the characteristics of how and what he posts as he gets wound up more tightly. Often, we wind him up.

Some of his hot-buttons are pretty obvious ... anything that goes "bang;" police, etc. But we all (me included) push them from time to time depending on how looney he's sounding at one point or another, or what kind of a day we've had so far. Or both. I worry about him - and not just about him. There are a few here who I'm afraid are just gonna wake up voluntarily dead some day, and we'll not have helped them make a different choice. That day, lads, is gonna suck.

This place isn't a church or an ashram or a social work drop-in-centre or etc., but it is a community. That's why I'm still here, probably you too. It's why Oz returned from 2 years' enforced hiatus to become BROTM, and why Doug wanted to come home too. It's why we're bruised when folks like JCSOH seem to leave.

The essence of a community is that I am my brother's keeper - and he's mine. Sometimes the "keeping" means giving a kick in the @ss, sometimes just not being an @ss. Each is sometimes useful if they're serving the goal of keeping the other guys on the right side of the grass. And not, if not.

t

Rum_Pirate
12-02-2013, 02:31 PM

To gang up and 'jump his case so vehemently" could be considered bullying. Is one really better for it, no.

. . . Sometimes the best thing to do is to just walk away....
Would you say that the best thing for the individual to do is to walk away and leave the forum to the bullies?

Does one really think that WoodenBoat want to end up with that type of forum?

I would suggest that it would be better to have a little (a lot in some cases) respect for individuals on the forum, after all it is an adult discussion forum for WoodenBoat (or so I would like to believe) and not a bullying forum for school children.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 02:41 PM
I think the forum is one of Phillip's key social interactions. He's fairly isolated, tends towards depression and I think gets lonely ... and that has an impact on how and what he posts. Especially on the characteristics of how and what he posts as he gets wound up more tightly. Often, we wind him up.

Some of his hot-buttons are pretty obvious ... anything that goes "bang;" police, etc. But we all (me included) push them from time to time depending on how looney he's sounding at one point or another, or what kind of a day we've had so far. Or both. I worry about him - and not just about him. There are a few here who I'm afraid are just gonna wake up voluntarily dead some day, and we'll not have helped them make a different choice. That day, lads, is gonna suck.

This place isn't a church or an ashram or a social work drop-in-centre or etc., but it is a community. That's why I'm still here, probably you too. It's why Oz returned from 2 years' enforced hiatus to become BROTM, and why Doug wanted to come home too. It's why we're bruised when folks like JCSOH seem to leave.

The essence of a community is that I am my brother's keeper - and he's mine. Sometimes the "keeping" means giving a kick in the @ss, sometimes just not being an @ss. Each is sometimes useful if they're serving the goal of keeping the other guys on the right side of the grass. And not, if not.

t

fooking eh? I started this thread on a lark of course and then you just had to go and say something profound didn't you???

Seriously, good job pushing us in the right direction. . .

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I didn't even miss it... where would we be without the maniacal button pushers/book burners?

Don’t wanna get caught being yourself… push the button

I've been outside working on the house

TomF
12-02-2013, 02:56 PM
fooking eh? I started this thread on a lark of course and then you just had to go and say something profound didn't you???

Seriously, good job pushing us in the right direction. . .Sorry man. Don't know what I was thinking. :D

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 03:01 PM
what bulley ever acknowledged to himself that he is in fact a bully... none for the most part ("he asked for it!")

I'm a bully too but my targets are themselves bullies and that's why I bully them (they asked for it)... I'm an anti-bully bully

I don't target Ishmail/jack while he's navel gazing and never will... others here followed him around for the opportuinity... they are my targets

I think it's the bullies who rush to push the button

Scot doesn't poof these things in some random manner... someone calls it to his attention and complains

Ian McColgin
12-02-2013, 03:02 PM
A number of people have had humane thoughts here. Along those lines, it's certainly possible that various recent posts and threads were vanished as a humane opportunity to let Phillip and others catch a breath. The accusation of #25 rather undoes that spirit.

John of Phoenix
12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Scot doesn't poof these things in some random manner... someone calls it to his attention and complainsI don't blame you for pushing the button. Who wouldn't want that drivel vaporized.

Tom Wilkinson
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Who forces you to read his threads or posts?

I don't recall saying anyone forced me to read them. Though when you are reading a thread you are interested in and he dumps on that one it's a bit hard to avoid.

He disrupts perfectly good threads with his ridiculous andswers to real questions. I'm not the only one that has attempted to engage him in a discussion only to be called names, and otherwise treated poorly. If you want to review my posts to him and point out where exactly I was rude or piling on, feel free. That was certainly never my intention. Have there been times when he has goten under my skin a bit and I have tossed a sarcastic comment his way, sure, but I can assure you the times i have engaged in discussion with him I was actually interested in discussing the topic at hand, not arguing over the sematics of needless vs needed child killing, or whether or not the "child" of someone who had lots of weapons is a minor or not. Either way it's their child and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Sure I am free to not participate. At the same time I am free to participate, and I am just as free to tell him he is being obstinate when that is what he is doing. This forum is as much mine as it is Philip's, and I have likely been involved in it for alonger period of time. If i think he is dumping on it, i have every right to say so. If the moderator objects to the way I state my objection, he is free to remove me, but I beleive you will be hard pressed to find any posts of mine to anyone that are out of line with the forum rules.

Glen Longino
12-02-2013, 03:26 PM
what bulley ever acknowledged to himself that he is in fact a bully... none for the most part ("he asked for it!")

I'm a bully too but my targets are themselves bullies and that's why I bully them (they asked for it)... I'm an anti-bully bully

I don't target Ishmail/jack while he's navel gazing and never will... others here followed him around for the opportuinity... they are my targets

Scot doesn't poof these things in some random manner... someone calls it to his attention and complains

sociopath...symptoms:

glibness and superficial charm
depression
manipulative
controlling
grandiose sense of self
need for stimulation
callousness

johnw
12-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Phillip, the thing I've noticed about people who keep getting banned is that they tend toward a combination of vitriol and self-pity, and engage in a fruitless effort to change the behavior of those they blame for their unhappiness. I'm worried that you are slipping into that trap. I think the social interaction here is important to you, so I'd like to see you avoid it.

You can only control your own behavior. If you behave in a manner that produces results you don't like, don't blame the people you've offended for pushing the button, just change how you interact with them. It can be done. Paul Gioruard did it, Rum Pirate did it, and Joe (Cold Spring Harbor) did it. Milo and Captain Blight did not, and they are gone.

The rules are pretty simple, and you are quite capable of staying within them.

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 03:54 PM
being compared to rum pirate and giruoard. . .
talk about setting the bar kinda low ;):D

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Phillip, the thing I've noticed about people who keep getting banned is that they tend toward a combination of vitriol and self-pity, and engage in a fruitless effort to change the behavior of those they blame for their unhappiness. I'm worried that you are slipping into that trap. I think the social interaction here is important to you, so I'd like to see you avoid it.

You can only control your own behavior. If you behave in a manner that produces results you don't like, don't blame the people you've offended for pushing the button, just change how you interact with them. It can be done. Paul Gioruard did it, Rum Pirate did it, and Joe (Cold Spring Harbor) did it. Milo and Captain Blight did not, and they are gone.

The rules are pretty simple, and you are quite capable of staying within them.

what self-pity are you talking about, Dr John?

if you actually belive what you said above, perhaps you should seek professional help... maybe a professional bricklayer

Glen Longino
12-02-2013, 04:11 PM

if you actually belive what you said above, perhaps you should seek professional help... maybe a professional bricklayer

:DHa! Keep it up, Iron Arse!:D

pipefitter
12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I think the forum is one of Phillip's key social interactions. He's fairly isolated, tends towards depression and I think gets lonely ...

Holy crap! What's everyone else's excuse? Same people, same channel, time, predictable demeanor etc.

I swear if you walk away from this place for a week at a time, you can set your watch according to who will be saying what to whom at any given moment without even looking in. I regularly stay away from this forum for weeks at a time and it's always the same folks at odds with each other.

At least Phillip has an excuse. He's single. How in the hell do folks with spouses get away with it? I certainly wouldn't be able to with any of the women I have known. Unless of course, my only interest was politics. Then I am sure a significant other with any sense at all, or even a modicum of sanity with regard to emotional, self preservation, would likely be happy that there was such a diversion to keep from putting her/him through it.

Post a political topic. Watch how fast the usual hawks jump on it. Today, tomorrow, next year.

I think Scot ought to ban the regulars at random just to keep them from getting chair sores. So many hours, so many posts. . .poof.

Garret
12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
To gang up and 'jump his case so vehemently" could be considered bullying. Is one really better for it, no.

Would you say that the best thing for the individual to do is to walk away and leave the forum to the bullies?

Does one really think that WoodenBoat want to end up with that type of forum?

I would suggest that it would be better to have a little (a lot in some cases) respect for individuals on the forum, after all it is an adult discussion forum for WoodenBoat (or so I would like to believe) and not a bullying forum for school children.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I meant what I said 'tother way 'round from how you took it. IOW - if Phillip (or anyone) says something to me - instead of reacting to it by jumping his case, I can choose to not reply at all (aka "walk away"). I was not saying that Phillip should walk away!

johnw
12-02-2013, 04:21 PM

Well, I tried, Phillip. I'd say this is an example of why you're hard to help. Someone reaches out to you, and you spit in their face. If you want to see self-pity, just read post #27 on this thread. Poor you, all you did was call someone a name and they pushed the button on you. So? Stop giving them a chance to push the button. You really are in control.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Holy crap! What's everyone else's excuse? Same people, same channel, time, predictable demeanor etc.

I swear if you walk away from this place for a week at a time, you can set your watch according to who will be saying what to whom at any given moment without even looking in. I regularly stay away from this forum for weeks at a time and it's always the same folks at odds with each other.

At least Phillip has an excuse. He's single. How in the hell do folks with spouses get away with it? I certainly wouldn't be able to with any of the women I have known. Unless of course, my only interest was politics. Then I am sure a significant other with any sense at all, or even a modicum of sanity with regard to emotional, self preservation, would likely be happy that there was such a diversion to keep from putting her/him through it.

Post a political topic. Watch how fast the usual hawks jump on it. Today, tomorrow, next year.

I think Scot ought to ban the regulars at random just to keep them from getting chair sores. So many hours, so many posts. . .poof.

chair sores! what fun!

John of Phoenix
12-02-2013, 04:23 PM
what self-pity are you talking about, Dr John?You CANNOT be serious. "If I had a wish for self improvement, it would be the ability to make you see yourself as others see you." You wallow in self-pity every day and with almost every post. You are the most self-unaware person I've ever encountered.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 04:26 PM
sociopath...symptoms:

glibness and superficial charm
depression
manipulative
controlling
grandiose sense of self
need for stimulation
callousness

here's one which would warrant a banning were I to push the button... it was directed at me of course... by the ex cop who once said he would keep whipping until I saw it his way... talk about Freudian slips!

Lew Barrett
12-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Why don't we strive for a goal?

If it's not a real conversation, break it off.

The reason these threads go for pages is the banter, a noise much like the constant sound of a flushing toilet. Little is as disappointing as yanking a chain and finding that nothing happens.

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Why don't we strive for a goal?

If it's not a real conversation, break it off.

The reason these threads go for pages is the banter, a noise much like the constant sound of a flushing toilet. Little is as disappointing as yanking a chain and finding that nothing happens.

okay, start us up a new thread then. . .

Glen Longino
12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
here's one which would warrant a banning were I to push the button... it was directed at me of course... by the ex cop who once said he would keep whipping until I saw it his way... talk about Freudian slips!

It came from John Hopkins website!
Go ahead, push the button!
Try to contain your rage!
Listen to some of these people here for a change instead of displaying your typical bully persona.
You better recognize your sociopathy and get help while you can!
I wish you well, but I will Not let you bully me, Mister Allen!

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
It came from John Hopkins website!
Go ahead, push the button!
Try to contain your rage!
Listen to some of these people here for a change instead of displaying your typical bully persona.
You better recognize your sociopathy and get help while you can!
I wish you well, but I will Not let you bully me, Mister Allen!

no, you do not wish me well... that is clear

John of Phoenix
12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
here's one which would warrant a banning were I to push the button... So push it! But read it and know that it's true.

(Sorry Lew. I did give him a five day break and look what happened.)

Mrleft8
12-02-2013, 04:40 PM
okay, start us up a new thread then. . .

Every time I try to start a thread on open discussion, with participation from everyone involved, it gets poofed.

johnw
12-02-2013, 04:48 PM
So push it! But read it and know that it's true.

(Sorry Lew. I did give him a five day break and look what happened.)

I don't believe it is true.

Osborne Russell
12-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Holy crap! What's everyone else's excuse?

The country's business is everyone's business.

In theory, the New Right and I have areas of agreement and common cause. In practice, the New Right is Phillip Allen.

That's the deal. It wasn't my idea and I don't like it, but I'm going to fight it.

Lew Barrett
12-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't expect anything to wind down of its own accord, and maybe my comment only illustrates how little attention I pay to some topics when they go off. It is inhumanly hard not to respond to items we think are blatant attacks or banal nonsense, so I express it as a goal to consider.

I do think the most effective punishment I might receive in a forum like this is shunning. I always wonder, if/when I think I've said something "profound" and nobody replies, if I'm not quite as smart as I thought I was.

No slurs on either the thread itself, or any participants, just a reminder of the power of silence. Not that I am often silent. Just a way to wish I was more so sometimes.

Garret
12-02-2013, 05:00 PM
I always wonder, if/when I think I've said something "profound" and nobody replies, if I'm not quite as smart as I thought I was.

No! It just means that it was so profound it went right over our heads.

:p

TomF
12-02-2013, 05:05 PM
No! I just means that it was so profound it went right over our heads.

:p
ZZZZzzzzzzzzzziiinnnnnggggg!! :D

Osborne Russell
12-02-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm better for it. :D

You?

I couldn't say he teaches patience; he tests it, which is the next best thing, I guess.

David G
12-02-2013, 05:32 PM
being compared to rum pirate and giruoard. . .
talk about setting the bar kinda low ;):D

I think you should be grateful <G>

David G
12-02-2013, 05:41 PM
I have to say... I quite proud of myself. I just deleted a whole rant about the phenomenon that is Phillipe. I'll just say... I heartily recommend the Ignore function.

Full Tilt
12-02-2013, 05:42 PM

:DIt would be the humane thing to do.

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 05:49 PM
I have to say... I quite proud of myself. I just deleted a whole rant about the phenomenon that is Phillipe. I'll just say... I heartily recommend the Ignore function.Sometimes writing a well reasoned and scathing response to some forum jerk off, then deleting it can be an oddly satisfying thing to do. Back when the Ducks were winning early in the football season, I found myself doing it quite often. . .

Mrleft8
12-02-2013, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6P7g_qz2OU

David G
12-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Sometimes writing a well reasoned and scathing response to some forum jerk off, then deleting it can be an oddly satisfying thing to do. Back when the Ducks were winning early in the football season, I found myself doing it quite often. . .

And have you recently written such a missive about the 'bama special teams? :D;):D

hokiefan
12-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Sometimes writing a well reasoned and scathing response to some forum jerk off, then deleting it can be an oddly satisfying thing to do. Back when the Ducks were winning early in the football season, I found myself doing it quite often. . .

And now all you have left is ranting about F$U... :d

McMike
12-02-2013, 05:59 PM

t

Well said Tom. I don't engage Phillip on the "contentious" subjects anymore, that leaves very little to discuss with him unfortunately. I do worry about him and hope he is just crotchety and not ill.

Paul Pless
12-02-2013, 06:02 PM
And have you recently written such a missive about the 'bama special teams? :D;):Dno, I found that to be a hard fought game and the final play to have been spectacularly well coached and executed. . .

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Well said Tom. I don't engage Phillip on the "contentious" subjects anymore, that leaves very little to discuss with him unfortunately. I do worry about him and hope he is just crotchety and not ill.
I actually tried a non contentious thread and got savaged again... it was an opportunity to prove me wrong and no one did for a number of posts

I do the non contentious stuff all the time but when someone jumps in to kick me... I kick back... then a non contentious thread becomes contentious... but they don't start that way... then some loser pushes the button and I get in trouble for fighting back

McMike
12-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I actually tried a non contentious thread and got savaged again... it was an opportunity to prove me wrong and no one did for a number of posts

I do the non contentious stuff all the time but when someone jumps in to kick me... I kick back... then a non contentious thread becomes contentious... but they don't start that way... then some loser pushes the button and I get in trouble for fighting back

I see that you get a lot of negative attention, It's not all on you as to other's choices but if you're not clear about your part in all of this then there's not much hope of the pattern changing is there.

Osborne Russell
12-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I I always wonder, if/when I think I've said something "profound" and nobody replies, if I'm not quite as smart as I thought I was.

I read profound things here every day, often from you. I don't respond because I can't think of anything to say that doesn't detract from the profundity -- even a "+1 " seems lame.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I see that you get a lot of negative attention, It's not all on you as to other's choices but if you're not clear about your part in all of this then there's not much hope of the pattern changing is there.

the simple fact of the matter is that I live in certain people's heads and they can't stand it... but that is not my doing, it's their own. I'm perfectly willing to get along but kick at me and I will kick back...

"he asked for it" is a big lie... if I asked for someone to shine my shoes would he do it?... there are many things I could ask which would not be accomidated at all so if I ask to be kicked why accomidate that particular request and not the others?

Old Dryfoot
12-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Know thyself. Words to live by.

McMike
12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
the simple fact of the matter is that I live in certain people's heads and they can't stand it... but that is not my doing, it's their own. I'm perfectly willing to get along but kick at me and I will kick back...

"he asked for it" is a big lie... if I asked for someone to shine my shoes would he do it?... there are many things I could ask which would not be accomidated at all so if I ask to be kicked why accomidate that particular request and not the others?

You made some fairly ridiculous statements that you can't back up or defend and you do this more times than I care to call you on. If you know that you are making ridiculous statements then the fallout is on you, if you don't realize how ridiculous you can be then maybe some folks here need to have a little compassion for your ignorance and let it slide. You choose or you don't, there's a big difference in how you deserve to be treated given the reality of your intention. I've chosen to see you as a hapless philosopher who can't admit when he's stepped on a landmine, and so I choose to let you without needing to call you out on it. Either way, you should choose to see this place as a community that gives you company and friendship instead of a war zone for you to play out your life's frustrations on. Your actions here aren't good for your brain or soul.

LeeG
12-02-2013, 06:39 PM

Clear and concise.

Lew Barrett
12-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I read profound things here every day, often from you. I don't respond because I can't think of anything to say that doesn't detract from the profundity -- even a "+1 " seems lame.

Thanks, Osbourne. I feel the same about you. This place attracts a good many well read and thoughtful people. I'm regularly astounded by the depth of knowledge here.

PeterSibley
12-02-2013, 08:08 PM

t

What I find interesting is that Phil chooses to hang out on an overwhelmingly liberal minded forum and thus, not surprisingly finds himself in conflict with the majority on some fairly basic concepts . I suggest he likes the conflict and seeks it out.

He could as easily find a right leaning or libertarian forum where his posts are greeted with acclamation and rounds of 'yep'. He doesn't , he needs and desires the conflict and has come to the right place.

Carry on Phillip.;)

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 08:26 PM
What I find interesting is that Phil chooses to hang out on an overwhelmingly liberal minded forum and thus, not surprisingly finds himself in conflict with the majority on some fairly basic concepts . I suggest he likes the conflict and seeks it out.

He could as easily find a right leaning or libertarian forum where his posts are greeted with acclamation and rounds of 'yep'. He doesn't , he needs and desires the conflict and has come to the right place.

Carry on Phillip.;)

I tried some of those gun forums and others... what a boring bunch... I hang out in the 'enemy' camp because I know what I think but I want to know what they think

another thing, Peter, I am a lot more liberal than people think

Durnik
12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Osbourne. I feel the same about you. This place attracts a good many well read and thoughtful people. I'm regularly astounded by the depth of knowledge here.

I'll go out on a limb here & +1 this.. ;-) & yeah, you both (Lew & Osbourne) as well as a fair number of others showing as the last comment on a thread cause me to load it & read. This is a hell of a forum.

To the OP's general inference - I found myself repeatedly at odds with Phillip. Recognizing that he needs this forum for whatever reason - a few months back I created an ignorance list (© Phillip Allen ;-)) of one & find threads are ever so nice just reading others responses. Heck, the experience was so satisfying I added SamF - Whee, Oh!

A few others get the quick scan/jump - but from my POV, jumping all over Phillip for what amounts to 1 single reason is akin to nagging/stalking & I ain't going there - not that he doesn't perhaps deserve it..

Of course, Glen is just a humanitarian.. ;-)

FWIW, I completely agree with Davids comment on the satisfaction of deleting scathing comments - a satisfaction I should probably enjoy more often? Nah.. enough's enough! ;-)

ETA: I see Paul coined the 'deleted scathing reply' in response to David's comment - my apologies for incomplete crediting! ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Bobcat
12-02-2013, 08:38 PM
You know you're not going to reform anyone else by your posts or lead people to enlightenment. It's an Internet forum; it's not as if we are curing cancer.

In the end, I find some threads that usually involve many of the same people just dull. I have seen this movie before, I have heard the argument over and over again. Sure I think there are people here that can't reason their way out of a wet paper bag and some that seem to have no self awareness or a mean streak or a huge chip on the shoulder. No point in even engaging. And it's boring to me.

I went out on the boat for a few weeks this summer and when i came back I found the same people acting the same way.

The informal ignore list works for me

PeterSibley
12-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I tried some of those gun forums and others... what a boring bunch... I hang out in the 'enemy' camp because I know what I think but I want to know what they think

I can see your point, there are some frightening dumb and ill educated people on those forums and you are neither of those.

As for the liberal aspects of your philosophy, I don't see much evidence but I take you at your word.

Canoez
12-02-2013, 08:40 PM

If you view us all as the 'enemy', you will never be happy here.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2013, 08:50 PM
If you view us all as the 'enemy', you will never be happy here.

I thought I made it clear that it was a figure of speach... ?

Canoez
12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

No, you were clear on that, but it speaks volumes about your perspective.

Durnik
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
:)Hey, I'm not JUST a humanitarian!

My sincere apologies..

;-)

enjoy
bobby

pumpkin
12-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Kool and the gang at their finest, right here in this thread!

Osborne Russell
12-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Periodically I resolve to give more recognition but I always seem to slack off.

Osborne Russell
12-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I'll go out on a limb here & +1 this.. ;-) & yeah, you both (Lew & Osbourne) as well as a fair number of others showing as the last comment on a thread cause me to load it & read. This is a hell of a forum.

Thanks !

To the OP's general inference - I found myself repeatedly at odds with Phillip. Recognizing that he needs this forum for whatever reason . . . [/QUOTE]

I tend to think that when the talking stops is when the real trouble begins. And it's practice at how to deal with obduracy. Like practicing beating your head against a wall so it hurts less.

Osborne Russell
12-03-2013, 02:50 PM

It's what you fail to make clear, more or less in a nutshell.

Can you understand that the reason we have a legislature, and courts, and even the executive, and a lot of talking, is because conflict is inevitable, even among friends?

Phillip Allen
12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
The worst thing anyone ever did to Phillip was read his posts and take them at face value.

Do yourself a favor, Phillip: read your posts as others read them.

that would be a conditioned unreasonableness

reading as you do would be doing YOU a favor

Flying Orca
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
that would be a conditioned unreasonableness

Um... you did the conditioning, bud.

Phillip Allen
12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
No, you were clear on that, but it speaks volumes about your perspective.

my perspective is obviously not available to some others here... while they debate individual pixels... I look at the picture those pixles are a small part of
some seem to have pixelated congntion... a severe limitation

Phillip Allen
12-03-2013, 04:34 PM

why?

Paul Pless
12-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Dude, did you just quote yourself about living in other people's heads???

lmao

Flying Orca
12-03-2013, 04:47 PM
my perspective is obviously not available to some others here... while they debate individual pixels... I look at the picture those pixles are a small part of
some seem to have pixelated congntion... a severe limitation

Phillip, I have no doubt that the things you post make sense to you. My first wife is kind of the same way - makes really interesting connections between things, connections that other people can't necessarily make out.

If you actually discussed the sense you make of things with other people, the conversation might be interesting, but you don't seem inclined to try.

Phillip Allen
12-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Phillip, I have no doubt that the things you post make sense to you. My first wife is kind of the same way - makes really interesting connections between things, connections that other people can't necessarily make out.

If you actually discussed the sense you make of things with other people, the conversation might be interesting, but you don't seem inclined to try.

John Burke makes interesting connections too... :)

Tom Wilkinson
12-03-2013, 04:51 PM
some seem to have pixelated congntion... a severe limitationThe man who wants to argue about the word needless, when it has nothing at all to do with the question it was used in a sentence with, is the man who supposedly doesn't argue pixels. OMG you have a warped view of things.

Flying Orca
12-03-2013, 05:25 PM
John Burke makes interesting connections too... :)

Which one - the composer, the author, the genealogist, the bicycle manufacturer?

Phillip Allen
12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
The man who wants to argue about the word needless, when it has nothing at all to do with the question it was used in a sentence with, is the man who supposedly doesn't argue pixels. OMG you have a warped view of things.

oh but it DOES apply... it's propaganda for the unwary... I called him on it and it's built in inference that there are needed killings... others may be fools but they have no right to impose the condition on me

Paul Pless
12-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I called him on it. . .

:D iii

Durnik
12-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks !

To the OP's general inference - I found myself repeatedly at odds with Phillip. Recognizing that he needs this forum for whatever reason . . .

I tend to think that when the talking stops is when the real trouble begins. And it's practice at how to deal with obduracy. Like practicing beating your head against a wall so it hurts less.

Does that actually work? ;-)

Personally, I'm just running out of patience & energy. Watching the likes of RodB in another currently running thread (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?170819-Are-you-happy-with-the-country/) makes me wonder if there's any hope of sanity in our society. Meanwhile, I'll leave (much of) the 'practice in dealing with the obdurate' to those of you on this forum who demonstrate a rather amazing skill at it - and save what you share to pass on to locals who seem determined to prove RodB is less unaware than they (not that they're any less obdurate! ;-))

Oh, yes - Thank You!

enjoy
bobby

Old Dryfoot
12-03-2013, 09:44 PM
oh but it DOES apply... it's propaganda for the unwary... I called him on it and it's built in inference that there are needed killings... others may be fools but they have no right to impose the condition on me

That's really how you see it isn't it? I posted a graphic that illustrated the almost 11,000 dead from firearms in less than a years time and you called me obnoxious.

I then asked you about the 196 children, which is now 197, and you responded by saying I must see atime when there is a need to kill children.

I'm going to channel you for a second here... "Be honest".

Carry on, and I'll do my level best to never engage you in any topic ever again from this point on.

Old Dryfoot
12-03-2013, 11:14 PM
It's worked for me. Y>

Fred approved... I'm down with it!

PeterSibley
12-03-2013, 11:22 PM
It's like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone ..

Old Dryfoot
12-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Deleted. It was a cheap shot and beneath me.

Tom Wilkinson
12-04-2013, 06:04 AM

No, it's not a built in inference at all. That you think that way is a reflection on you. It's simply an adjective to stress the point that there was no need for any children to die. It says absolutely nothing anywhere, anyhow, that because these are needless that therefore some are needed. That's ridiculous. And it is a fabulous example of you totally ignoring the discussion at hand and arguing "pixels" instead.

You're a depressing guy.

Full Tilt
12-04-2013, 06:42 AM
You're a depressing guy.

Some people wake up depressed.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 07:34 AM
You're a depressing troll.ftfy

fact is phillip will do everything possible to detract from having an informed and reasonable discussion on gun control. . .

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-04-2013, 09:33 AM
or,indeed, anything at all.

Fred's right.

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
others may be fools but they have no right to impose the condition on meI can't think of anyone who could improve on your perfection.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
or,indeed, anything at all.

Fred's right.

my ignore list, which is a completely new thing for me in the last few weeks is growing by leaps and bounds. . .

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
my ignore list, which is a completely new thing for me in the last few weeks is growing by leaps and bounds. . .And miss all the laughs?

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
And miss all the laughs?at some point you got to feel a little guilty for laughing right?

Some folks are just plain mean spirited and/or antagonistic bullies, others are just anonymous trolls not worth engaging, and others, well they're just dumb and want to stay that way; who among them are the bigger waste of time - hard to say. . .

Concordia 33
12-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Just an idea.....
+ 1

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 10:55 AM
'tis the season & all that - maybe we should all give it a bit of a rest?Yeah, maybe so.

Phillip Allen
12-04-2013, 12:46 PM

... hmmm... maybe it has something to do with "constant hammering"

Lew Barrett
12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
... hmmm... maybe it has something to do with "constant hammering"

I'm confident that if you come here simply for friendship, you'll find friends.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm confident that if you come here simply for friendship, you'll find friends.To be fair, we all come here for different reasons. I came here initially because I wanted to learn about and discuss boats. My first trip to the bilge I was blasted so hard by JCSOH, that I almost never came back, but I got a pm from erster and from Chad Smith in support. Joe became one of my best virtual friends and remains so to this day. Chad was the first person I ever met in person on the forum, and erster the second. I used to get along with Lj and Phillip. :D How crazy is that? Now, I count many here to be among my best friends and many more I respect greatly for their opinions and contributions on the widest variety of subjects imaginable. And we haven't even discussed my lovely, gracious, and undyingly patient wife yet.

So truer words have never been spoken Lew. Come here to be a part of, not apart from; and it becomes a pretty special place.

Phillip Allen
12-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm confident that if you come here simply for friendship, you'll find friends.

oh, but I did come for friendship... but I will not be bullied so here we are
I'm easy to get along with so long as people actually want to get along...

Osborne Russell
12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
What's the equivalent of a bully on the masochist side of things?

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 02:29 PM
http://thepostsocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/pinatanew2.jpg

Flying Orca
12-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Speaking of whom... anyone ever hear from Piñata Boy? If he's reading this, or if anyone is in touch, I'd like to wish him a merry Christmas.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Phillip, there's a difference between being bullied and being ridiculed. You consistently behave in a manner here which makes your posts and sometimes your persona a magnet for ridicule. You consistently deflect from debate, rather than engage in honest discussion; and when you do that you deserve what you get. I'll offer a simple example and suggestion for you, if you are unable to explain or to defend your position on gun rights versus gun control, then rather than playing word games around the edges as you have been, maybe it'd be a better idea to refrain from posting to those threads. Just a thought. Fwiw, I'd rather have you participate fully in such discussions, but your games and defections and spin and passive/aggressive postings as they are now do become tiresome. . .

Full Tilt
12-04-2013, 02:37 PM

Maxochist.

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 02:38 PM
but your games and defections and spin and passive/aggressive postings as they are now do become tiresome. . .You mean abandon that "perspectives" double talk and actually engage? Great idea!

ERGR
12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
There's a site, www.gunpolicy.org (http://www.gunpolicy.org), that has collected statistics on gun numbers, gun homicide and similar statistics. Going through the statistics it's easy to confirm that the US has the largest relative number of privately owned guns in the world. The US also has the largest relative number of gun homicides among comparable countries, 10 - 20 times the number in the Nordic countries. The Netherlands and Germany have similar gun homicide rates as the Nordic countries.

The US has twice the relative number of guns compared to Finland, three times as many guns as Germany, Sweden or Norway and 25 times as many guns as the Netherlands. The number of guns clearly does not explain the difference in gun homicide rates. Something else is wrong in the US when it comes to guns.

An advantage with a licence for owning a gun is that there is something to revoke as a response to irresponsible behavior with guns. Reducing the number of guns isn't the main issue. Judging from news reports on gun violence in Sweden, licensed weapons are seldom used. The criminals prefer assault guns and handguns that have been smuggled into Sweden (usually from former Yugoslavia). Most of the gun homicides are criminals shooting other criminals.

Where I live, burglars are not armed and we don't shoot them if they intrude. Armed burglary results in stiff sentences so the burglars won't take the risk. We call the police and let them handle the violence. That's their job after all. Using lethal violence to fend ourselves would be a very last resort if lives are threatened.

Erik

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Welcome Eric. A well constructed first post but the one thing you've missed is the God Given Right to Guns or as it's know in the US, The Second Amendment. We invented it and apparently patented it as well (not that anyone in their right mind would want it).

Chris Coose
12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
It's a big mistake to ask somebody to change. Especially to ask that of the most active guy in the place. He's established his schtik just as most of us have. Best to treat him like you would the old noisy grandpa you have to put up with or put the old bastard on ignore.
And be really hopeful you don't end up being a gun nut. That's the worst.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Excellent point Chris. Change is hard, changing someone else is next to impossible. . .

ERGR
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Isn't it possible to amend an amendment?
Erik

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Sure but you'd have a much better chance of rescinding women's votes or reinstating slavery before touching the Sacred Second.

Osborne Russell
12-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Because it is big and isolated and built on mass violence, America has a culture of being armed. Then there is the realization that not only can the government not protect you, they're not particularly interested, any more than they were in protecting the Indians, or the settlers the government sent to kill the Indians. Also, corruption of local authorities tends to make it into a kind of association of petty feudal states. The perception is that you're on your own, in an environment that alternates between anarchy and repression of anything that gets in the way of distant but powerful and corrupt combinations. Sturdy yeoman settlers!

Much of the perception is deluded but not all of it.

johnw
12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Because it is big and isolated and built on mass violence, America has a culture of being armed. Then there is the realization that not only can the government not protect you, they're not particularly interested, any more than they were in protecting the Indians, or the settlers the government sent to kill the Indians. Also, corruption of local authorities tends to make it into a kind of association of petty feudal states. The perception is that you're on your own, in an environment that alternates between anarchy and repression of anything that gets in the way of distant but powerful and corrupt combinations. Sturdy yeoman settlers!

Much of the perception is deluded but not all of it.

Hogwash. Most of the Indians were killed by the army, not the settlers.

Paul Pless
12-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Hogwash. Most of the Indians were killed by the army, not the settlers.go back and read his last sentence

Lew Barrett
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Every now and then it pays to walk away from the things we're emotionally invested in and just let the thing flow.
I swore an oath to Kali not to bait or respond negatively to you as much as was humanly possible (for me). For instance, I will not discuss guns with you or participate on any thread that you're actively doing that. It's not because I don't have opinions on guns. On the other hand, I don't have any plans not to engage you in discussion. I just won't engage you when I sense I can enrage you or myself and that's all that will come of it.

Needless to say, I'm not always successful, but for the most part we get along fine (I think). It's a matter of picking what battles I want to engage in here. Makes things much simpler.

Lew Barrett
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
To be fair, we all come here for different reasons. I came here initially because I wanted to learn about and discuss boats. My first trip to the bilge I was blasted so hard by JCSOH, that I almost never came back, but I got a pm from erster and from Chad Smith in support. Joe became one of my best virtual friends and remains so to this day. Chad was the first person I ever met in person on the forum, and erster the second. I used to get along with Lj and Phillip. :D How crazy is that? Now, I count many here to be among my best friends and many more I respect greatly for their opinions and contributions on the widest variety of subjects imaginable. And we haven't even discussed my lovely, gracious, and undyingly patient wife yet.

So truer words have never been spoken Lew. Come here to be a part of, not apart from; and it becomes a pretty special place.

Everybody comes for the boats and stays for the whine:D Hey, my friend, my real flesh and blood friend I made here, 100% agree.

johnw
12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
go back and read his last sentence

Okay, dopy me.

Tom Montgomery
12-04-2013, 05:41 PM
How he can say this and proceed to make the sort of accusation against me that he made on the "oh dear I'm so bored" thread is shameless.

John of Phoenix
12-04-2013, 05:52 PM
That's exactly what I was looking for - a pinata boy! Now photoshop a bat in his hand so that he's whacking himself and it would be perfect.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Every now and then it pays to walk away from the things we're emotionally invested in and just let the thing flow.
I swore an oath to Kali not to bait or respond negatively to you as much as was humanly possible (for me). For instance, I will not discuss guns with you or participate on any thread that you're actively doing that. It's not because I don't have opinions on guns. On the other hand, I don't have any plans not to engage you in discussion. I just won't engage you when I sense I can enrage you or myself and that's all that will come of it.

Thank you for this Lew. Every once in a while my conscience needs a good elbow to wake it up.

I responded with a cheap shot at Phillip's expense in #102 which I've since deleted. I'd also like to apologize to Phillip for that cheap shot, it was not the right thing to do.

Lew Barrett
12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Thank you for this Lew. Every once in a while my conscience needs a good elbow to wake it up.

I responded with a cheap shot at Phillip's expense in #102 which I've since deleted. I'd also like to apologize to Phillip for that cheap shot, it was not the right thing to do.

There are quantitative and qualitative issues involved here. I truly believe metering the quantity of content will aid in quality control.

To coin an analogy, pinata production will always eventually decrease along with an ebbing of demand.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Hammer or nail, stick or pinata... I just have no taste for conflict. This is however one area where I'm quite happy to be deficient.

Osborne Russell
12-05-2013, 02:19 PM
http://thepostsocial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/pinatanew2.jpg

That thing is askin' for it.