X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted Hoppe
    Irritant, Level 2
    • Nov 2006

Why I ride.

Take the 4 minutes to watch this interesting new series of shorts on the subject of riding a motorcycle. Episode 1 might could have been written by me and rings quite true.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-30-2013, 10:19 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.
  • Sway
    • Sep 2013

Re: Why I ride.

I started to ride because I fell in love with a man on a motorcycle - after being on the back of his all summer long, I wanted to experience the thrill of the ride for myself, the feel of the machine as it cornered, and because I look damn good in leather......lol

I miss my bike now - she was a shed by all means, but just being able to cruise at 50mph on my own ride was amazing - to the point I'm now looking at buying another.....I miss the feeling of freedom, and in this world, the freedom of the ride is nearly all the freedom we have x

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
      Irritant, Level 2
      • Nov 2006

We often have so little time to do the things that give us a few hour of joy and adventure. A well loved and mantained motorcycle does that without the preperation of numerous hours and hastened minutes to put it away. It waits for us and begs the question of our own freedom, openess and reminds us of those things that are inmportant.

Ian - you are on that 5000 mile ride again. different than the one last time because you are different and time makes thing change so fast. You are lucky that you can find the time to break away.
      Without friends none of this is possible.

Comment

• Sway
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ted Hoppe
        We often have so little time to do the things that give us a few hour of joy and adventure. A well loved and mantained motorcycle does that without the preperation of numerous hours and hastened minutes to put it away. It waits for us and begs the question of our own freedom, openess and reminds us of those things that are inmportant.

Life is short - make the most of it - do everything you want to, never regret, or wonder what if.

Riding for me has always been a time of thought and contemplation..... although I fall asleep on the back of bikes too.... a few times the other half has had to wake me up when we arrive home, unaware that the entire time I've been sleeping upright, no support, no straps...... I trust the machine (and him) that much....

Comment

• reddog
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for that Ted. Pretty well sums it up I would say even though I have only been riding for about five years. It's never too late.

Earl
          "Always keep an edge on your knife,son..."

Comment

• Lew Barrett
            Landlocked
            • Dec 2005

See the R90S in the fuzzy background?

This one features another of my favorites.

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
              obnoxiously persistent.
              • Jan 2005

I like the 75/6 with the (unorthodox) white frame, 50 horse is just right.
              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• MiddleAgesMan
                • Jul 2007

I had an old friend (RIP) who made an epic trip from North to South American via Harley, way back when he was a young man. When he returned to New York he put the bike up for sale and it sold promptly.

He had had it fitted with a center stand to facilitate servicing the machine in the boondocks and he left that center stand on it when he sold it.

Within a week of selling it he called the fellow who bought it and the phone was answered by the guy's wife. In answer to his question about how the guy liked the bike she grew silent for a bit then told him the tragic tale.

Her husband had parked the bike on a porch to the side of their house. Their back yard was about 10 or 12 feet lower than the street side. The guy went out to run the engine a day or two after buying it and was sitting on it as he warmed up the engine. He had it on the center stand.

At some point when he had the engine warmed up he revved it up with it in gear. Why? No one knows, but with the engine running at a good clip he leaned too far back, the rear wheel found traction and the bike shot off through the back screen wall, landing in the back yard. The guy was killed having done nothing but ride it home and warm up the engine a time or three.
                Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Comment

• PeterSibley
                  • Dec 2001

Mine .

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                  Grateful Dead

Comment