PDA

View Full Version : Nutshell Pram fastner question

George P.
11-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Ive been building a 7'7" nutshell pram over the last week or so. Have the frame, molds, fore keel and transoms all set up on the jig and am ready to start planking. This forum has already been a tremendous help with questions that have come up for me thus far so i thought id put this to you all. I've got he necessary fastners called for in the plan but i'm looking for more guidelines as far as how many fastners of what size are necessary in a given location. For example how many would be necessary to fasten the bottom to the midship frame. Are there any guidelines or perhaps a good rule of thumb to follow. As i didn't really order any extra fastners im trying to avoid coming up short. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
george

JimConlin
11-28-2013, 05:40 AM
There's a very detailed article on building Nutshell in WB #60. The text does not address fastener spacing, but the photos offer help. For the garboard, there are about 5 fasteners to the fore-keel, six to the fwd. transom and far fewer in the middle of the boat (guessing 6-8" spacing.).
In general, use only as many fasteners as are needed to tie the panel down flat. If there's a bulge, add another screw. In the places where the curvature of the panel presses it down, fasteners are only needed to position the panel.

I'd get the WB reprint or one of the other how-to pubs.

andrewpatrol
11-28-2013, 03:42 PM
George as Jim said re screws but one further development may be to do a dry run with your planks and then by clamping, screwing or pressing with your hand you'll be able to tell where to place the screws for real thing. And start your screws at the middle or one end and proceed out wards otherwise you won't push down the last bulge. A few extra screws shouldn't break the bank but it could mess up the build. A lot of boats are built with hardly any screws or at least they are removed after the pox has set. I doubt whether you'll use them on plank seams but perhaps only at ends. Good luck

capefox
11-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Do you have the book "Building the Nutshell Pram?"

Bob Perkins
11-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I made a whole site on my build - I think I used a few screws..
Maybe the pics will help you..

https://nutshellpramconstruction.shutterfly.com/