PDA

View Full Version : need local supply of okume in Cincinnati or louisville

garyspear
10-12-2004, 01:40 AM
I will be building Ian Oughtreds Caledonia Yawl and would like a local supplier of Marine plywood. The mailorder seems ok but I would like to support a local small business and hopefully get a better selection. I am quite picky :D . I live in lexington KY and often get to louisville Ky and Cincinnati ohio. does anyone near these areas know a a supplier of marine ply? If so where?

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Venchka
10-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Did you try Woodfinder.com?

Homestead Hardwoods up near Lake Erie has marine plywood of undetermined origin.

Marine Plywood (http://www.marine-plywood.us/pricing.htm)

If you are picky, buy Shelmarine Lloyd's Approved sapele plywood from Harbor Sales in Maryland or Bruynzeel's 20 year Lloyd's Approved plywood from M.L. Condon in White Plains, N.Y.

I was very picky about the plywood that went into my Caledonia yawl. On the advice of professional builders and after looking at the plywood, I bought Shelmarine plywood from Harbor Sales. I would do the same again.

A local alternative, if it's good quality, is MDO plywood. The stuff exterior sign makers use. Olympic Panel makes a good product called Signal MDO. You might find a local dealer.

Wayne
In the Swamp. :D

RonW
10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Here call these guys - Paxton 513-984-8200. they are in cincy, and at least last year they carried a merrannti in I beliece 6566 and okoumme in a 1088.

Venchka
10-12-2004, 11:31 AM
PS...

Good choice of boat. I love mine. Go the extra yard on materials. Build her stout with the best materials. 1/2"-12mm garboards as Iain shows on the plans. Order extra plywood-you'll need it. What Iain doesn't say in the materials list is that you'll need plywood for the centerboard, centerboard case, rudder head, etc. I bought 5 sheets of 9.5mm and 3 sheets of 12mm. I ended up with a half sheet of 12mm left over. I should have ordered 6 sheets of the 9.5mm. If you make a mistake, you'll be glad you have the extra material.

Okoume isn't the best choice for this boat, in my humble opinion. Meranti has quality problems. Search the Forum for a few sad tales about meranti plywood.

When it's time for sails, get a quote from Gambell & Hunter in Camden, Maine. Ask Grant or Brad for 4oz. Hayward Sunwing Classic cloth.

Wayne
In the Swamp. :D

garyspear
10-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info y'all. smile.gif

wayne I am pretty green at this. If not okume what ply do you recomend. The name is tossed about so much I thought it was more or less a kind of generic term. In either case I will do the research before I buy and get the best I can.

I will also be sure to get enough for an extra wide margin of error.

The cincinnati supplier at least knows I'm not crazy when I ask for marine ply made from mahogany. they seem to be good folks so I will do my part to help the economy and buy form them.

thanks,

Gary

Bruce Hooke
10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Make sure to specify that you want marine grade plywood with equal (or nearly equal) thickness plys. I've seen marine grade plywood with very thin outer plys. It's designed for "decorative" uses in a marine-type environment rather than structural use in a marine grade environment. The stuff with equal thickness plys is stronger and more suited to planking. A place that deals all the time in marine plywood for boatbuilders will be aware of this distinction. A hardwoods store that occasionally special orders in marine plywood may not be so you may need to educate them!

Venchka
10-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Then there is the word "mahogany". It gets bandied about without any correlation to the actual species of wood involved. Based on today's market, sapele is the closest thing in terms of density, strength & durability to douglas-fir or the real Honduran mahogany that was used 25-50 years ago. Bruce is correct about ply uniformity. The Shelmarine plywood is very uniform. They say it's A-B face but I saw no patches anywhere on either face of 10 sheets. No voids either. Shelmarine's web site is down. They listed all the veneer thickness and strength figures for their plywoods. One extra perk-it's 9.5 mm or a real 3/8". I know, it dosen't matter. But I feel better knowing I have 3/8" plywood instead of something less. A flaw in my personality for sure.

If you can afford it, get the Shelmarine sapele.

Wayne
In the Swamp.