PDA

View Full Version : Annual Seattle EBS

pcford
11-27-2013, 12:22 AM
It's that time of year again. This year the meeting for Seattle's twisted WBF community will be at yeadon's place in haute Ballard. Day and time is to be determined because yeadon does not know the event is going to be at his place. If the day and time cannot be ascertained for yeadon, someone else will volunteer.

Stay tuned. Thank you for your attention.

Yeadon
11-27-2013, 12:36 AM
We already had the ebs. You missed it. Get with the program, pops.

Gerarddm
11-27-2013, 12:38 AM
?! You mean, up in Anacortes?

pcford
11-27-2013, 12:45 AM
There was no EBS in Seattle of which I was aware. Gatherings in outlying hillbilly communities don't count. The Seattle EBS has always been the first part of December by hallowed tradition. Do not stand in the way of hallowed tradition.

seanz
11-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Gatherings in outlying hillbilly communities don't count

Quite right. The official gathering should always be held in the most centrally located hillbilly community.

I think I just got myself uninvited.

:D

pcford
11-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Quite right. The official gathering should always be held in the most centrally located hillbilly community.

I think I just got myself uninvited.

:D

no, no, no. some of us like those of you from en zed. As official convener, you shall have a chair at the head of the table, right next to Capt. Lew.

seanz
11-27-2013, 01:03 AM
I'd be honored.

Is it true that most people won't sit next to Lew because he smokes big cigars and talks with his hands?

I'll just drink beer (low flash point, can even be used as a fire suppressant) and wear wool.....of course.

pcford
11-27-2013, 01:12 AM
I'd be honored.

Is it true that most people won't sit next to Lew because he smokes big cigars and talks with his hands?

I'll just drink beer (low flash point, can even be used as a fire suppressant) and wear wool.....of course.

Now I don't think Lew is smoking cigars much anymore. Still talks though. Therein lies the problem.

James McMullen
11-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Sounds awesome! Tim's house is perfect for this sort of thing. I look forward to attending. Who knows, I might even be willing to offer a live performance of the Hvalsoe diss track from my new rap album, as long as there's enough liquor.

pcford
11-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Sounds awesome! Tim's house is perfect for this sort of thing. I look forward to attending. Who knows, I might even be willing to offer a live performance of the Hvalsoe diss track from my new rap album, as long as there's enough liquor.

It's settled then.
Did not know Eric does rap. I think I heard he does a fine Norwegian break dance routine. Shake your booty!!

James McMullen
11-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Did not know Eric does rap.

Are you seriously trying to tell me you never heard of Silent H and da Crew feat. Timm-Dogg and the Notorious J.M.C.?
Sweet Jeebus, Ford! Unless you can come up with a good explanation, you maybe better bring yo gat to da party, or you gonna get punked like the buster you is.

pcford
11-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Are you seriously trying to tell me you never heard of Silent H and da Crew feat. Timm-Dogg and the Notorious J.M.C.?
Sweet Jeebus, Ford! Unless you can come up with a good explanation, you maybe better bring yo gat to da party, or you gonna get punked like the buster you is.

p-dogg says: Has yeadon chosen the day and time yet?

BBSebens
11-27-2013, 02:06 AM

So.... No banjo music then?

Yeadon
11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
These guys are just trying to cover up the fact that we already held the ebs, but didn't invite Pat (aka, Donn of the West).

johnw
11-27-2013, 03:22 PM
These guys are just trying to cover up the fact that we already held the ebs, but didn't invite Pat (aka, Donn of the West).

Now, that's cold.

Bobcat
11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Cool. Looking forward to it

CATALINA GUY
11-27-2013, 07:05 PM
I might even make it----what is the date??

pcford
11-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Any of you guys heard from yeadon? I can't figure out what is going on.

Yeadon
11-28-2013, 11:04 AM
I can't figure out what is going on.

Noted.

Now, if a guy wanted to have a "happy holidays," why would he invite Pat Ford to his house? (Has anyone here met Pat?) Can anyone out there explain this to me?

I should note that I've already enjoyed more than my yearly allowance of ebs conversation. There was Port Townsend, where I saw Ernie, Dave Lesser, Alex Zimmerman, Bruce Smith, Tom Jackson, Ben Sebens, BrianW, ALL THE MCMULLENS WHO EVER WALKED THE EARTH, and so many other nice people. (I don't remember seeing Pat there.)

And then just a month or so ago I had a chance to meet jspd1 at the ebs in Anacortes. I also saw Gerard, Gary S., James, Eric, and handful of other worthy souls. Good enough for me.

So, in conclusion, will I be hosting p-donn at my house for the holidays? Hahahaaha. Good one. No.

One note ... I haven't seen Lew for a while. That should be remedied. I'd be happy to meet up for a beer at the Stepping Stone sometime between now and Christmas.

Eric Hvalsoe
11-28-2013, 12:56 PM
I think the 'stone is gone. Only about a hundred pubs left in the Ballard area.

pcford
11-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Eric, am I reading this correctly...yeadon proposes a place for the Seattle EBS...and it's a place that is CLOSED?!

pcford
11-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Excuse me, there seems to be some misunderstanding. Please read the following. yeadon, you read slowly aloud. Thank you.
Definitions are in order:
Anacortes: A dreary former fishing port. An important place when the economy was based on logging, fishing and other extractive industries. I won't say it is a hillbilly burg, but nearly 95% of the population is related. You have to go there to get on the San Juan ferry.
Port Townsend: Home of the prancing shed boy. Ghastly overpriced homes owned by people from someplace horrible. And they don't like you. Far too many "cute" places. Aside from Key West, Florida, the only place on the North American continent that Birkenstocks can be observed in the wild.

Ok, you are with me so far, right? Now here's where it get tricky. Are Anacortes or Port Townsend part of Seattle? Maybe like Fremont or haute Ballard? The answer is a resounding NO!!!

Therefore, is it correct to answer a polite suggestion that a Seattle EBS be convoked...to answer that it has already happened...and it was in Anacortes or Port Townsend?!!!! OF COURSE NOT!!!

I guess that cleared matters up.

David G
11-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I have to say... I'm awfully sympathetic to the Yeadonator - when it comes to that Ford character. For me, it's a moot point. As much as I'd love to invite myself to this EBS... It's just not in the cards again this year. But... back to that beret-wearing redneck Ford. Why would anyone WANT to hang with him. I mean... all of his obvious other quirks, faults, and predilictions aside... he's just so bloody IRISH!!!

Yeadon
11-28-2013, 05:24 PM

Stepping Stone has been reopened by the former Viking crowd. Great place, once again. Check it out.

Eric Hvalsoe
11-29-2013, 12:22 PM
That's great, the stepping stone lives. Small joint, did rob take his turntables?

Outta here next weekend. Maybe a weekday evening . . .

pcford
11-29-2013, 02:37 PM
That's great, the stepping stone lives. Small joint, did rob take his turntables?

Outta here next weekend. Maybe a weekday evening . . .

Eric,
I am beginning to think that our comrade yeadon is somewhat reluctant to have the Seattle EBS at his home.
It is a mystery why this might be. Lew and wife Lindy were gracious hosts at their elegant home for TWO years. I made my boss's 81ft. 1921 English power yacht Syrene available for our colleagues. But yeadon refuses. If he has issues with a such a crowd of furballs and scallywags, he could just stow all small valuable items before the crowd arrives. I will give yeadon a little more slack to do the right thing...

However! If he fails, we should consider other possibilities. I guess the Stepping Stone in Ballard would be a possibility. Brouwer's has a room upstairs but it only seats about a dozen. Perhaps someone has other ideas?

Bobcat
11-29-2013, 02:48 PM
How many people are likely to be there?

Lew Barrett
11-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Depending on timing, we could....possibly....be available, but if it's closer to the actual holiday, we're out. We can handle a dozen, maybe fifteen folks. All things considered, a decent pub choice is certainly easiest.

Sean, I am out of the cigar consumption business. If you were to come....whenever and at any season.... that would be cause enough to call a meeting.

If we can organize a date and head count, it would help settle the venue. Really, we should do this midsummer, outdoors and around the pool.

pcford
11-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Depending on timing, we could....possibly....be available, but if it's closer to the actual holiday, we're out. We can handle a dozen, maybe fifteen folks. All things considered, a decent pub choice is certainly easiest.
<snips>

If we can organize a date and head count, it would help settle the venue.

I would say there were about a dozen on Syrene...not sure since I think yeadon was doing the recruiting...back when he was in a more helpful disposition...
Anybody have any other guesses and suggestions for venue?

BBSebens
11-29-2013, 10:49 PM
I'd sure like to make it, sooner rather than later would be helpful.

I have no insight into a good venue.

James McMullen
11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm most likely in, if y'all can get it together. I respect Tim's misanthropy of course, but my own takes a much more subtle and Machiavellian turn in that I find it more aesthetically satisfying to sow the seeds of dissension and strife in person rather than merely from afar. Maybe I can carpool with you, Ben.

pcford
11-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm most likely in, if y'all can get it together. I respect Tim's misanthropy of course, but my own takes a much more subtle and Machiavellian turn in that I find it more aesthetically satisfying to sow the seeds of dissension and strife in person rather than merely from afar. Maybe I can carpool with you, Ben.

Regarding Tim...I am more or less twice as old as yeadon...and people call ME a curmudgeon...I hesitate to think how sour on life he is going to be after he has passed through all of life's fecal matter like I have. McMullet I have new found repect for you and Eric having to deal with the guy on trips.

I suggest a weekend afternoon session. Brouwers in Fremont works for me...I will try to reserve the upstairs room....Next Sunday Dec. 8?

Talk to me....discuss.

johnw
11-30-2013, 03:29 PM
I work until about 8:30 Sundays. Is Saturday an option?

BBSebens
11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Saturdays are good.

A proposal:

December 7th, 6pm at Pub "To Be Decided" (Brouwers? Stepping Stone? All I want is good beer.)(And parking. parking is helpful.)

Helpful comments accepted below.

pcford
11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Saturday afternoon Dec.7, is a possibility for me...Saturday night Dec. 7, I have a party...with far better looking people than you sorry excuses.

johnw
11-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Saturday afternoon Dec.7, is a possibility for me...Saturday night Dec. 7, I have a party...with far better looking people than you sorry excuses.

But we are fascinating, and besides, most of us are better-looking that you, so think of how far you'll be outclassed by this other group.

James McMullen
11-30-2013, 06:19 PM
So Saturday night at Tim's house, then? Seems like the best compromise.

pcford
11-30-2013, 07:06 PM
But we are fascinating, .

Morbidly fascinating...like a bad car wreck...I will give you that.

johnw
11-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Morbidly fascinating...like a bad car wreck...I will give you that.

See?

Lew Barrett
11-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm ok anytime.

Bobcat
11-30-2013, 09:21 PM
That works for me

BBSebens
11-30-2013, 10:17 PM
I'd offer up my place, but I don't think you guys want to drive up this far.

Gerarddm
12-01-2013, 01:53 AM
I'll make it, wherever. Just Lemmee know. Could we scarf the meeting room at the CWB gratis? Maybe Hvalsoe can pull an insider's move...

pcford
12-01-2013, 02:04 AM
I'll make it, wherever. Just Lemmee know. Could we scarf the meeting room at the CWB gratis? Maybe Hvalsoe can pull an insider's move...

CWB charges for space. And it is unlikely that the space would be available in the afternoon.

I will go down to Brouwer's tomorrow and see if I can reserve upstairs room. Am thinking about what to do about yeadon.

James McMullen
12-01-2013, 09:39 AM
. . .what to do about yeadon.

Well. . .we could start by honoring his personal autonomy and desire to choose his own course.

Ha ha! Just kidding! Lets totally shanghai him and force him to drink too much beer and listen to the same damn stories from the same damn people one more time. It's for his own good. And ours too, of course. Tim is the heart and the moral center of the Greater Seattle wooden boat community.

BBSebens
12-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Tim is ... the moral center of the Greater Seattle wooden boat community.

We're all doomed.

Gerarddm
12-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Hah hah James. Then why isn't it HIS statue instead of Lenin's in Fremont, "the center of the universe"? Or his visage on the Troll? ( wait, now that I mention it, hmmmm )

Eric Hvalsoe
12-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Ok then.
Enjoy,
I'll be at Mt Baker.

Sunday TBD

BrianW
12-01-2013, 07:28 PM
It's nice you guys are getting together to honor Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. ;)

Gerarddm
12-08-2013, 11:53 AM
It was an amusing time. Lew regaled us with tales of his misspent youth. James gave us a slide/video show.

PS: 'Nitro' ale was new to me, creamy smooth and good.

Eric Hvalsoe
12-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Mt Baker was very cold.

James McMullen
12-08-2013, 12:51 PM
So is my opinion of you for leaving me to face Pat Ford without any backup, you scoundrel! :mad:

:d

Lew Barrett
12-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I thought Pat was on excellent behavior. I was incredibly disappointed by the dearth of Greek fisherman's caps.
The ale was good, the pate not so but the company more than made up for it.

I'm glad my wife didn't come; I would never have heard the end of it from her had she agreed to. Damn, it's cold here.

johnw
12-08-2013, 03:32 PM
By the time I got there, Tim and Pat were the only ones remaining. Pat had managed to get over his good behavior and told a scatological story about his late brother. Tim showed me a cat video, which of course, is for the internet. My life is no doubt richer because of these interactions.

pcford
12-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Several people have asked for a report on the Seattle EBS, so I thought I should put one out before misinformation starts getting bandied about.
I had requested a dress code of Greek Fishermans caps and oversized early 80s aviator glasses. Perhaps sensing that I was trying to ridicule the group's absurdly out of date fashion sense...nobody did as I requested. EXCEPT Lew Barrett. Lew kept a low profile the rest of the meeting and only talked occasionally in his typical mild and abashed manner.
Speaking of aviator glasses. David G never showed up...promises to the contrary.
McMullet put on a bit of a confessional scene...He admitted the yeadon and Hvalsoe are entirely tedious to cruise with. (yeadon had not arrived yet; Eric never did) In fact, he regrets that he finds himself trapped in the Oar and Sail Jihadi lifestyle. After we put a stop his Nitro Cream Ales...after eight, I think it was...he confessed that all he really wants is a large high speed plastic powerboat...He pounded his fist softly and slowly on the table...talking about the thrum of the engines and the platoon of bikini-clad fabulous babes which could be his. I said some of those boats look like they were created by a tennis shoe designer. He could not be consoled...saying there was no way a boatwright could afford such a boat. I told him that perhaps it might be time to take my ex-wife's suggestion to me and get a real job. It was just sad.

By the time I got there, Tim and Pat were the only ones remaining. Pat had managed to get over his good behavior and told a scatological story about his late brother. Tim showed me a cat video, which of course, is for the internet. My life is no doubt richer because of these interactions.

Hey mister...that was a scatological episode at the Algonquin Hotel in NYC...home of the literary group the Algonquin Round Table. Not just another boring wharfside tale. I thought you would appreciate it...being a bookseller and all. Regarding yeadon...there's just no defending the guy.

There were about a dozen people there. Geralddm gave some sorely needed class to the event.

BrianW
12-10-2013, 01:03 AM
The brutal honesty of the after action reviews, are what set Seattle EBS's apart from all others.

James McMullen
12-10-2013, 10:55 AM
And it's all at least a 150% true!

johnw
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
And it's all at least a 150% true!

Or at least, truthy.

Yeadon
12-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I was never there.