PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who

WX
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I watched the 50th anniversary show last night and it wasn't bad, there were a few great one liners.
On the whole though I feel it's gotten a bit fast but that could just be me getting old. A story use to take a few episodes but now it's done and dusted in 30 minutes.
However, the dramatization of the beginnings of the show was good and I thought very well done.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Adventure_in_Space_and_Time
I remember watching the promos for the first episode and how as kids we all wanted our own Dalek.

skuthorp
11-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I watched too, a long time fan of the program from B&W days. Not generally interested in sci fi, but then Dr Who isn't really sci fi.

Bloke I worked with built his own Dalek, full size, self propelled on tracks, RC with sound and a a pen type laser…………. and a very powerful water gun! You can fit several batteries, a big pump and lots of water inside a big one.

Hwyl
11-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I loved it. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that they failed to conclude the Tower of London sub plot. I missed the cameo appearance by Tom Baker. I watched the first episode.

genglandoh
11-24-2013, 03:23 PM
do you remember this old movie

Dr Who and the Daleks Movie (1965)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioB5RQAw6PU

PeterSibley
11-24-2013, 03:33 PM
It was good and they finally settled to genocide question ! phew !

C. Ross
11-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I loved it. I'm with you Peter; the hanging genocide question was unpleasant at best.

I have really loved the Moffat / Davies reboot in general, and the cameo by Tom Baker (my first Dcotor) was played beautifully without a wink and a nudge - just straight.

And John Hurt as Doctor 8 1/2 (or was it 8 3/4?) was wonderful.

WX
11-24-2013, 04:23 PM
I loved the dig at the Americans. The Brits had a wristwatch sized time machine that they didn't want the US to know about. The reason was the US propensity to rewrite history, "you've seen their movies.":)

AnalogKid
11-24-2013, 04:53 PM
I really enjoyed it but missed a few bits - I was in and out of the room doing bits and pieces around the house.

Loved the Tom Baker cameo, he was my first Doctor. Did anyone else spot the very briefest appearance of the next Doctor, during the setting up of the shield around Gallifrey?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-24-2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.cakewrecks.com/ But you need to be quick.

CWSmith
11-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Excellent! The show gets better without changing its whole tongue-in-cheek nature. It's amazing how far in advance they plant an idea and wait to use it. Lots of fun.

Rich Jones
11-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Until this weekend, I'd never heard of this show. I was ten years old when it started, but living in upstate New York state where we only got one TV station, I suppose it was easy to miss.

htom
11-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Whovian since the 1960's. I lucked out in the basement TV lab, found the strangest show being broadcast in Canada. Watched for two years, started with Episode 1. Caught up again when it came to PBS, and watched some on cable. Swore a lot when it was canceled. I haven't (yet) got into the restart or the associated shows, but I am sure I will. Favorite Doctor is Tom Baker; I doubt that's changeable.

WX
11-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Whovian since the 1960's. I lucked out in the basement TV lab, found the strangest show being broadcast in Canada. Watched for two years, started with Episode 1. Caught up again when it came to PBS, and watched some on cable. Swore a lot when it was canceled. I haven't (yet) got into the restart or the associated shows, but I am sure I will. Favorite Doctor is Tom Baker; I doubt that's changeable.
Check out the show I linked too at the start.

C. Ross
11-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Favorite Doctor is Tom Baker; I doubt that's changeable.

Yes, that's what I thought too. I've got about four favorites now. Netflix has all of the reboot series last I checked.