PDA

View Full Version : Li river CHINA

J. Dillon
02-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Now that China is back in the news, I thought I'd share this image of one of the many beautiful places I saw there May 2000

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid3/p794715a01331b9da9f900a3fc1abdc1c/fdec64ea.jpg

The Chinese realy use this river. As I took this image swimmers were moving in for a dip, women washing clothes,children playing along the banks, lovers strolling , while artists and photographers were capturing the sun as it dipped behind Fobo hill Li river China. Ya know people just like you and I.

JD

John R Smith
02-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Brilliant, JD, great photo. Looks like a good place for a shoal-draught cruiser . . .

John

Andrew
02-26-2002, 02:04 PM
I love those weird hills over there. Do you know the geologic (or mythologic) origin?

ACB
03-01-2002, 07:24 AM
That very striking landscape is in Guilin, and like most of us, I had difficulty believing that Chinese landscape painters knew how to draw, until I saw it. A very famous Chinese beauty spot.

It is, I believe, called a "karst" landscape; it is basically a limestone area where some harder patches of limestone have resisted erosion by water and remain standing up like sugar loaves.

After living in Beijing for four years I am happy to confirm that the Chinese are indeed just like you and me; exceptionally so, in fact.

NormMessinger
03-01-2002, 09:07 AM
"... the Chinese are indeed just like you and me; exceptionally so, in fact."

Now that is one scary fact! So much like us that we can thank Chinese dust for beautiful red sunsets in North America. And, for the price of Nebraska soy beans. Which is not to detract for the beautiful picture but to express concern for the people and their land.

--Norm

ACB
03-01-2002, 06:17 PM
You should hear what they say about the impact of Nebraska soy beans on their prices! Actually, there are bits of China (soy growing bits) ;) that look a bit like....