PDA

View Full Version : Anothre paint question

esingleman
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I am painting the inside of my restored 12 1/2 hull. I painted below the waterline with red lead, and above with Interlux grey primer. I have finished my third coat by brush of Flexdel semi-gloss white commercial marine enamel and I can still see through a bit, requiring a fourth coat. Are four coats typical? As I am not sure I want to put four coats on the outside of the hull. Is there an enamel with better coverage? I think maybe roller tipping may cover better on the outside, but that was impossible on the inside.

Erick

slug
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Hard to say. Gray primer needs a lot of white to cover. Three or four coats sounds correct.

Todd D
11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
I used Flexdel a couple of years ago and was very disappointed with the results. It took two coats of white to cover white paint. It was cheap though, so I guess I got what I paid for. I would suggest that you might want to switch over to Old Salem enamel. It will cover much more effectively.

esingleman
11-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks Todd, makes me feel like I'm not crazy. I was thinking about using Kirby.

Brian Palmer
11-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Roll and tip will probably get you better coverage. It worked well for me with a "kelly green" over white primer. After two coats with a foam brush, my boat looked like it had been colored by a 4 year old with a magic marker. One more coat with roll and tip and it looked great.