PDA

View Full Version : Deer With Arrow In Its Head Rescued In New Jersey

wardd
11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/deer-with-arrow-in-head_n_4251765.html?utm_hp_ref=green

ROCKAWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) Wildlife officials have removed an arrow from a young deer's head and released the animal back into the New Jersey woods.The arrow that had completely pierced the 5-month-old male deer's head was removed Saturday by biologists with the Department of Environmental Protection.

The biologists who did the procedure say the arrow had not damaged any major arteries or organs and the deer's prognosis for survival is excellent.

The animal was treated with preventive antibiotics and released back into the wild.

DEP spokesman Larry Hajna (HEY'-nah) says the arrow removal was performed at a wooded private property in Rockaway Township, about 25 miles west of New York City. The property owner first spotted the injured deer on November 1.

bogdog
11-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Same shafts I use but different feather fletching and broadhead, so it weren't me.

WX
11-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I had seen a news report about that, so that is good news.

Willin'
11-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Do hunters actually hunt 5 month old bambis? How sad is that?

Figment
11-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Hunters don't generally go for headshots, so I'd say it's equally likely that the little fella caught a stray arrow that was aimed at some other big boy nearby.

BrianY
11-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Let's hope for a better shot next time.

ETA - this reminds me of prisoners who receive medical care to make them healthy enough to be executed.

Phillip Allen
11-12-2013, 05:57 PM

veal anyone?

Paul Pless
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Hunters don't generally go for headshots, so I'd say it's equally likely that the little fella caught a stray arrow that was aimed at some other big boy nearby.

Arrows are mightily affected by things like contact with a twig or even a leaf in flight. That arrow didn't have a lot of velocity on it either, which suggest extreme range or ricochet are possibilities.

Phillip Allen
11-12-2013, 06:03 PM
a townie from New Jersey?

Michael D. Storey
11-13-2013, 07:17 AM

only when they get the window rolled down enough to get a clear shot.

bogdog
11-13-2013, 07:22 AM

Don't ferget the one million foot candle spot we run off the cigarette lighter in the dash to jacklight. I have to use the recurve in the truck as the longbow is too big. Probably should get a cross bow...

Michael D. Storey
11-13-2013, 07:36 AM
A few years ago Miz Evans and I came across a deer that had tried to jump a metal fence and had got a good handful of skin and fur back by her shoulder hung up on one of the fence spikes, She was a heavy girl (the deer) but I was able to get her lifted off of the spike. Watch out for those hooves!

bogdog
11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
I raised a buck years ago who loved to rub the top of his head on a pants leg, which was fine when he wasn't carrying.

Paul Pless
11-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Watch out for those hooves!

and his wife filmed the whole thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

bogdog
11-13-2013, 08:06 AM
They've killed more than a few humans.

Breakaway
11-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Yup. Side view mirrors make excellent gunrests.

There's a doe that got hit by a car hobbling around my neighborhood. Doubt she'll make it through the winter. We'll see.

Kevin

bogdog
11-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Yup. Side view mirrors make excellent gunrests...

KevinNot my truck, that's why I a carry a shooting bag for the hood...

Paul Pless
11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Not my truck, that's why I a carry a shooting bag for the hood...careful there, this can lead to a broken windshield. . .

Michael D. Storey
11-13-2013, 05:44 PM
and his wife filmed the whole thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko
I don't see that girl closin in to help her man/ No, I don't.

Shang
11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
The only deer I ever shot was one that I spotted on the side of the road about half a mile from my house, I lived in the middle of a large conservation forest. Evidently a car had clipped the deer and broken both front legs. I called the Sheriff's office, but was told that they couldn't get anyone out before morning. I asked the Sheriff to tell the highway department where to find the deer.
I drove home and got my British .303, went back and shot the deer.

S.V. Airlie
11-14-2013, 08:18 AM
The Archer musta been a William Tell wanna be!