PDA

View Full Version : Computers

Jim Bow
11-12-2013, 12:49 PM
When my dad was 67, he used to complain about the price of stuff. $5.00 for a haircut? I used to pay 50 cents. $2.00 for a loaf of bread, I used to pay 20 cents. $6,000 for a new car? I used to pay $600.

Now it's my turn. In the old days, I paid $3,600 for a Panasonic Sr. Partner 35 lb portable computer with two disk drives and a 9 inch screen.

Yesterday I paid $122 for a Nook HD with a 7 inch color screen and 16G memory. It fits in my pocket and weighs about half a pound.

ccmanuals
11-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I got a Nook color last year and I love it. It is the ideal weight and size for reading and managing books through the Barnes and Noble online is store is a breeze.

slug
11-12-2013, 01:07 PM
When my dad was 67, he used to complain about the price of stuff. $5.00 for a haircut? I used to pay 50 cents. $2.00 for a loaf of bread, I used to pay 20 cents. $6,000 for a new car? I used to pay $600.

Now it's my turn. In the old days, I paid $3,600 for a Panasonic Sr. Partner 35 lb portable computer with two disk drives and a 9 inch screen.

Yesterday I paid $122 for a Nook HD with a 7 inch color screen and 16G memory. It fits in my pocket and weighs about half a pound.

is this good or bad ?

Gerarddm
11-12-2013, 01:16 PM
The OP reminds me of an old Shel Silverstein joke, which I paraphrase below; the old curmudgeon is talking to a child and one-upping him on every subject:

Kid: I have to take a bus to school
Curmudgeon: When I was your age, I had to walk to school through snow, 5 miles each way.

Kid: I have to make my own breakfast
Curmudgeon: When I was your age, I had to raise the chickens to lay the eggs so we could have any breakfast at all.

Kid: I only get a small allowance.
Curmudgeon: When I was your age, I had to work full time to help my family.

Curmudgeon: Say, how old are you, anyway?
Kid: 9 years old
Curmudgeon: Hell, when I was your age, I was 10!

Jim Mahan
11-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Nope, just is what it is.
I still marvel at the decades-long march of smaller, faster, cheaper and more and more ubiquitus the stuff of our high-tech revolution. I once invested (?) ten grand on a MacIIci with 8mb ram and an 80mb hard-drive, with a portrait grey-scale monitor, an HP laser printer, Aldus Freehand and QuarkXpress to do graphic design and desktop publishing.

beernd
11-12-2013, 06:08 PM
On my computer I wanted to run Turbo Pascal from a 360 Kilo Byte diskette, it turned out that the computer only had 580 Kilo Byte memory, instead of the required 640.
So I went out and bought a 64 KB memory chip for something like $50 or so (I don't remember exactly)
It didn't have a hard disk.
Then I bought one for $600, I phoned a friend of mine, and told him.
He asked me how many mega bites it was, and I said 20MB, he goes, "WOW, that's twice as much as my HD, and I paid $800 a year ago"
A bit later I bought a mouse for $60.
And in those days(late 80ties early 90ties), $1500 a month was a good salary.

In December Santa Claus is going to buy me a brand new computer for $600, OK not state of the art but well enough for me.

Breakaway
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Yes. But our dads did not carry a world ful of merchants around with them like we do.

Also.. That first 'outer you bought didn't come with a perpetual lien... I mean data plan :)
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Captain Intrepid
11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
The OP reminds me of an old Shel Silverstein joke, which I paraphrase below; the old curmudgeon is talking to a child and one-upping him on every subject:

Kid: I have to take a bus to school
Curmudgeon: When I was your age, I had to walk to school through snow, 5 miles each way.

Kid: I have to make my own breakfast
Curmudgeon: When I was your age, I had to raise the chickens to lay the eggs so we could have any breakfast at all.

Kid: I only get a small allowance.
Curmudgeon: When I was your age, I had to work full time to help my family.

Curmudgeon: Say, how old are you, anyway?
Kid: 9 years old
Curmudgeon: Hell, when I was your age, I was 10!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

elf
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
My first CF card for my first Canon was $85 for 512M. Now I can buy a 32M card for about a buck a Meg.

Yes. The world is amazing.

Oh, incidentally. That 512M card still works. But the 32M card that came with that camera does too. I use it for backing up my checking account every month after I reconcile it.

ccmanuals
11-12-2013, 09:33 PM
I recall buying Zenith Z100's for the Air Force, dual floppy, 10mb hard drive. Can't remember how much memory for $3,500 each. Epson dot matrix printers were going for $1,300 each. No NIC card (couldn't network them).

http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/z100hp.jpg

The Bigfella
11-12-2013, 10:48 PM
My first computer was a DEC Rainbow in 1984. With software and two printers (dot matrix and daisywheel) it cost me just under NZ$14,000.

Sorry can't remember the exchange rate now.... but it still wasn't cheap. I've still got that one - and found some of the software the other day. Lotus 123 v1.a - cost me just shy of $1,000.

What a machine. Fully kitted out with 1 Mb of RAM. Two floppy drives. If I'd wanted a hard disk, it was another $5,000 for 5 Mb.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/rainbow.jpg

I just bought a new computer the other day. 4 Tb hard drive (plus SSD). 4 Tb backup drive too.... under $200.

Lew Barrett
11-12-2013, 10:58 PM
GAWD! Now we're reminiscing about our old computers! We need a vintage computer thread!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/121121034453-witch-computer-restoration-uk-story-top.jpg

Look Myrtle! I can play Pong!
http://www.theappletimeline.com/images/apple2.jpg

The Bigfella
11-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Nah.... let's just complain about new ones. Arghh.

I'm trying to clean out my netbook and notebook computers. Get loads (and loads) of photos and videos and some work files off them, onto the backup disk and onto my main computer.

It took about 36 hours to clean out the notebook and then the netbook was super fast, by comparison. Now its taking "more than 1 day" to get the netbook stuff uploaded. I hate this technical crap.....

Lew Barrett
11-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Nothing is more boring to me than computers. I like what they can do but nothing else about them.

The Bigfella
11-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Couldn't agree more..... They have come a long way though.

My current bugbear is trying to learn PremierePro. My version is old, so the online tutorials are out of date.

I don't like this whole cloud subscription model, so don't want to update. Arghh

Lew Barrett
11-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah, the cloud thing sounds....ominous.

BrianY
11-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Anyone remeber the AMAZING Commodore 64? or the Tandy Color Computer II ? I still have a CoCo II with the portable cassette recorder that it used as the "mass storage device"

I was blown away when I saw a display of the ROM memory from the Apollo 11 spacecraft computer in a museum - ferrite 'doughnuts" on a hand made grid of wires. I was equally impressed when a year or so ago I saw a 5 GIG flash drive for $8.00 in a store. Eight bucks! I remember when it was SOP to assume that a hard disk drive would cost about $100 for every KILOBYTE of capacity. The progress made in my lifetime in computer technology is simply astounding.

Rum_Pirate
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Have a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Lew Barrett
11-13-2013, 03:23 PM
That's the second time this video has been posted in 24 hours. Not that it isn't worth revisiting, nut just for the record.

One of my favorite lines is when one guy says: My dad used to put us to bed by whipping us with his heavy belt. Another responds: "Luxury!"