PDA

View Full Version : someone from the old Lyman factory

doublej
05-28-2001, 08:51 AM
I would like t contact someone from the old Lyman factory in Sandusky Ohio. I'm having a steering problem with an 1958 23' runabout. The boat has a v8 and always wants to turn left if you let go of the wheel. I beleive it is a rudder problem but I don't know.

Ed Harrow
05-29-2001, 11:53 AM
Has it always behaved like this, or is it a recent development? I've never operated such a boat, but since a boat's steering/direction is impacted by propeller rotation, what you note doesn't seem like a surprise to me...

doublej
05-30-2001, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Ed Harrow:
Has it always behaved like this, or is it a recent development? I've never operated such a boat, but since a boat's steering/direction is impacted by propeller rotation, what you note doesn't seem like a surprise to me...

doublej
05-30-2001, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by doublej:

The boat came from the factory wih a 6 cyl. but now has a v8. I never got to drive it with a 6. It has been all rebuilt, new stem ,keel, ribs,transom the whole works. The boat is all straight and true. It runs a 14x11 RH prop hooked up to a 283 v8 putting out about 185 - 210 HP. It is also a very soft chine boat with a plainning hull in back and a deep v front. I beleive the problem is tourque steer and I think The rudder is a big part of the problem.
The rudder is shapped like a kidney with a round trailing edge. I would like to change the rudder but I don't know how to pick one out.

rbgarr
05-30-2001, 07:11 AM
You might try contacting the guy who calls himself "Dr. Lyman" at this site:

http://www.lymanboat.com

He may have experience with repowering, changing rudder sizes, and probably has access to different Lyman rudders, if that's indeed the way to go.