Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

posted selected quotes

It appears some here are annoyed when some of us just hit "reply with quote". I've just looked through the FAQ and looked around for instructions on how to select partial quotes and have failed in my effort.

I am aging. My granddaughter doesn't understand that I'm only interested in my cell phone making calls. When I need help figuring out how to do new things on my computer I generally end up needing my daughter to show me. She's not available at the moment.

If one of you would be so kind as to provide simple instructions on how to use that feature, I'll see if I can figure it out. I expect a few other might also.

Your understanding and assistance will be greatly appreciated, especially if I succeed. You know what they say about old dogs.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: posted selected quotes

Most, but perhaps not all, of the ways to lift out a quote from one part of the Forum to the post you're making do not give a click-to to find the spot and allow changing the quote, sometimes in the harmless way of italicizing a part for emphasis but all too often allowing for mischievous alterations. In any event, since I still don't know how to do either, I C&P the part I want and put the post number (which sometimes changes if someone was banned) so that people interested in checking my accuracy or, more importantly, my correctly taking the context can do just that.

Unless there's a way to lift the quote in one step that does both things - only the original words with no change and an easy way to find the thing - I'll stay with this slightly arcane and awkward system.

Comment

• Jimmy W
      SE USA MS or sometimes GA
      • Feb 2010

I would just hit the "Reply with Quote" then select and delete the parts of the quote not needed.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
        Trying to be reasonable
        • Oct 1999

. . . simple instructions on how to use that feature . . .
        - Select the the bit you want to quote.
        - Copy it - either hit "Ctrl-C", or right click and select "Copy"
        - Click in the reply window where you want the quote to go.
        - Push the 'quote' button at the top of the window; it looks kind of like this:
        - You'll get this [ QUOTE][/QUOTE ]
        - Put the cursor in between the center brackets, on the X: [ QUOTE]X[/QUOTE ]
        - Paste in the text you want to quote, either by hitting Ctrl-V, or right-clinking and selecting "Paste" or, better yet, "Paste as Plain Text".
        - And Bob's yer uncle. You can edit whatever's in the quote as well.
        "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
        for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• hokiefan
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by John Smith
          It appears some here are annoyed when some of us just hit "reply with quote". I've just looked through the FAQ and looked around for instructions on how to select partial quotes and have failed in my effort.

Your understanding and assistance will be greatly appreciated, especially if I succeed. You know what they say about old dogs.
          When you click "reply with quote" you can then edit what is in between the [QUOTE and the /QUOTE] just by editing it. I only find two types of editing of other people's quotes acceptable by the way. The first I use regularly is to bold the particular part I am referring to, as I did above. The second I use less frequently is to delete by sections of a long quote I am not referring to, which I did to your 2nd and 3rd paragraph. When I do this I replace it with an ellipse (...) to indicate something was removed.

Every now and then I may change someone's wording in a (usually lame) attempt at humor, usually followed by the phrase ftfy (fixed that for you).

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• bobbys
            • Jun 2009

John i love ya man but this information possessed by you would present a danger to the forum..
            Do not feel as though im pickin on you i KNOW i have not the responsibility to know the inner codes.

I am impressed by Norms multiple quotes and responses but the day i get that deep i should enter a 12 step program.

Comment

• Gerarddm
              #RESIST
              • Feb 2010

#4. I know of no other way.
              Gerard>
              Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                Trying to be reasonable
                • Oct 1999

I generally post a short partial quote to show exactly what I'm responding to. Trying to deceive by altering a quote is silly; anyone can just scroll up the page and look at the original.
                "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• hokiefan
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                  - Select the the bit you want to quote.
                  - Copy it - either hit "Ctrl-C", or right click and select "Copy"
                  - Click in the reply window where you want the quote to go.
                  - Push the 'quote' button at the top of the window; it looks kind of like this:
                  - You'll get this [ QUOTE][/QUOTE ]
                  - Put the cursor in between the center brackets, on the X: [ QUOTE]X[/QUOTE ]
                  - Paste in the text you want to quote, either by hitting Ctrl-V, or right-clinking and selecting "Paste" or, better yet, "Paste as Plain Text".
                  - And Bob's yer uncle. You can edit whatever's in the quote as well.
                  The only issue with this method is that it is not always obvious who you are quoting, especially in longer threads. When I use the "reply with quote" it drags the quotees name along with the quote, then I edit out the parts I don't want to refer to. 6 one, half a dozen the other.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• David G
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by hokiefan
                    The only issue with this method is that it is not always obvious who you are quoting, especially in longer threads. When I use the "reply with quote" it drags the quotees name along with the quote, then I edit out the parts I don't want to refer to. 6 one, half a dozen the other.

Cheers,

Bobby
                    Which I, at least, always appreciate. Helps eliminate some confustification.
                    David G
                    Harbor Woodworks
                    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• oznabrag
                      Historical Illiterate
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                      I generally let fly with a short, partial incantation to help show exactly what the animal's entrails are telling us. Trying to augur the future by any other means is silly, just as altering a quote is silly; anyone can click on the little blue arrow and look at the original, and remember, THE KING IS A FINK!!!

Cheers,

Bobby
                      Hi John! Glad you asked!

Each and every post has a few things going for it, that may help you to avoid excess verbiage.

At the lower, right-hand corner, there are several icons.

The 'Reply' icon merely places a cursor in the 'Quick Reply' box, which is what happens when you click the big blue 'Reply to Thread' icon over at the bottom left.

The next button at bottom right is the 'Reply with Quote' button, which places the entire text of the post you are quoting in the reply box, as you are aware.

The next button at the bottom right is the all important 'multi-quote button'.

As you read through a thread and find a post that contains something you are interested in commenting on, just click on that button, and a check-mark will appear.

Then, on the final post of interest, hit the 'Reply With Quote' button, and all the posts you checked will appear in the reply box.

Then, it is a simple matter to place your cursor between each quote in its turn, and make your comment.

Hokiefan has some good advice in post #5, which brings us to the next neat little gizmo on each and every post: the Post Number. The number in the top right hand corner of each and every post is a LINK to that post, and that post, alone!

This can be very handy when you want to include something that was written elsewhere on the WBF.

Now, to my comment in regard to Keith and Bobby.

Keith, if you hit the 'reply with quote' button, there is a blue button that looks like a little arrow that appears when the quote is posted. That little blue arrow is a link to your original post, so if some one quotes you as saying 'The King is a Fink!' by using the 'reply with quote' button, it is easy to check by clicking on the arrow, which will take you to the original post.
                      Last edited by oznabrag; 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM.
                      Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                        pinko commie tree hugger
                        • Oct 2003

Cheers,

Bobby
                        i always thought keith used this method as a way to be reasonably annoying. . .
                        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• John Smith
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by bobbys
                          John i love ya man but this information possessed by you would present a danger to the forum..
                          Do not feel as though im pickin on you i KNOW i have not the responsibility to know the inner codes.

I am impressed by Norms multiple quotes and responses but the day i get that deep i should enter a 12 step program.
                          Just to be clear, if you wish to insult me you've simply got to pick a number and stand in line. Be aware there are several hundred people ahead of you.
                          "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• John Smith
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by oznabrag
                            Hi John! Glad you asked!

Each and every post has a few things going for it, that may help you to avoid excess verbiage.

At the lower, right-hand corner, there are several icons.

The 'Reply' icon merely places a cursor in the 'Quick Reply' box, which is what happens when you click the big blue 'Reply to Thread' icon over at the bottom left.

The next button at bottom right is the 'Reply with Quote' button, which places the entire text of the post you are quoting in the reply box, as you are aware.

The next button at the bottom right is the all important 'multi-quote button'.

As you read through a thread and find a post that contains something you are interested in commenting on, just click on that button, and a check-mark will appear.

Then, on the final post of interest, hit the 'Reply With Quote' button, and all the posts you checked will appear in the reply box.

Then, it is a simple matter to place your cursor between each quote in its turn, and make your comment.

Hokiefan has some good advice in post #5, which brings us to the next neat little gizmo on each and every post: the Post Number. The number in the top right hand corner of each and every post is a LINK to that post, and that post, alone!

This can be very handy when you want to include something that was written elsewhere on the WBF.

Now, to my comment in regard to Keith and Bobby.

Keith, if you hit the 'reply with quote' button, there is a blue button that looks like a little arrow that appears when the quote is posted. That little blue arrow is a link to your original post, so if some one quotes you as saying 'The King is a Fink!' by using the 'reply with quote' button, it is easy to check by clicking on the arrow, which will take you to the original post.
                            Thanks. I'll reread this when I'm a bit more awake and do some experimenting. I would have been looking for a way to highlight what I wanted and click on something to just have that part of a post appear in my reply.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Comment

• Mad Scientist
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oznabrag
                              ...Hokiefan has some good advice in post #5, which brings us to the next neat little gizmo on each and every post: the Post Number. The number in the top right hand corner of each and every post is a LINK to that post, and that post, alone!

Thanks for pointing that out! That's a new one for me.

Tom

Comment

Working...