PDA

View Full Version : Boycott American Food and Restaurants

Steve McMahon
11-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I am so sick of listening to a bunch of dumba$$ American "celebrity" chefs spout off misinformation about the East Coast seal harvest as they encourage others to join their boycott of all Canadian seafood. I have decided in retaliation to boycott all American restaurant chains and all food grown in the USA. Damn, I'm going to miss those tomatoes and lettuce in January. I will have to eat more lobster I guess.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2303147

Paul Pless
11-02-2013, 08:34 PM
your protest would gain more notoriety if you were to go on a strict seal flipper diet :D

Jim Bow
11-02-2013, 08:36 PM
I've noticed that Anthony Bourdain has a very effective BS detector. He called out the Pike Street Market fish sellers for their infamous habit of throwing fish while being photographed by tourists. He told them they were wasting food. The owner was forced to admit that they throw and rethrow the same fish all day long.

Modern boycots don't work. The last one that did was started by Rosa Parks in Burmingham AL in the late 50s.

Steve McMahon
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
your protest would gain more notoriety if you were to go on a strict seal flipper diet :D

To me seal flippers are kind of like raw oysters - to be indulged in only occasionally and only when out with friends enjoying too much alcohol before and after eating. A strict seafood diet perhaps I could handle. Prairie oysters I doubt I would ever try regardless of how much alcohol was involved.

Chip-skiff
11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Modern boycotts don't work. The last one that did was started by Rosa Parks in Burmingham AL in the late 50s.

The boycott of Gallo wine, called by the United Farmworkers in the '70s made a big dent in their corporate bottom line. Over forty years later, I still won't touch the stuff, nor any of their stealth brands such as Turning Leaf.

Steve McMahon
11-02-2013, 09:03 PM
The boycott of Gallo wine, called by the United Farmworkers in the '70s made a big dent in their corporate bottom line. Over forty years later, I still won't touch the stuff, nor any of their stealth brands such as Turning Leaf.

Boycotting almost any American wine should be a pretty easy thing to do anyway.....:d

LeeG
11-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Ok, I'm boycotting Canadian cuisine!

Shang
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
...I still won't touch the stuff nor any of their stealth brands such as Turning Leaf.

Personally I wouldn't wash the car with Gallo.
(But if you know anything bad about inexpensive Aussie wine, keep it to yourself.)

Steve McMahon
11-02-2013, 09:16 PM

What are you saying man! Life without poutine and fried baloney? Sheesh, I bet you can't do it.

Shang
11-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Wait a minute, LeeG, let's meet for lunch after we've read Where the Farm Meets the Sea --Canada's Prince Edward Island in last month's SAVEUR magazine...

LeeG
11-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Wait a minute, LeeG, let's meet for lunch after we've read Where the Farm Meets the Sea --Canada's Prince Edward Island in last month's SAVEUR magazine...

Ok, tonight I have ribs twice cooked with jalapeņos, mole and sherry, maybe I boycott next week.

Shang
11-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Ok, tonight I have ribs twice cooked with jalapeņos, mole and sherry, maybe I boycott next week.

Right on track...we all know that jalapeņos are Canadian. Tasty with moose haunch on a bed of pine needles.