BROTM ukase #4: if you weigh more than 350 pounds, you must buy two airplane seats

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C. Ross
    • May 2007

BROTM ukase #4: if you weigh more than 350 pounds, you must buy two airplane seats

Because otherwise you are tresspassing on half of mine.

Bring on the disapproval of my intolerance. I don't care.

I like obese people. They are roly-poly, their laughs are infectious, and when they take the dance floor at weddings everyone smiles.

But the fellow next to me on this Los Angeles-Minneapolis flight is seriously cramping my mojo.
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: BROTM ukase #4: if you weigh more than 350 pounds, you must buy two airplane sea

come on dude, when was the last time you didn't fly first class?
    kind of figure you almost have to fly up front for the leg room. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• David G
      • Dec 2003

Re: BROTM ukase #4: if you weigh more than 350 pounds, you must buy two airplane sea

I'd think the upper limit would be closer to 250 - 300 #
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks
      https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• George Jung
        • Jan 2004

I imagine that's karma sitting next to ya.... 350# worth? Man!
        There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• C. Ross
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Paul Pless
          come on dude, when was the last time you didn't fly first class?
          kind of figure you almost have to fly up front for the leg room. . .
          LOL. You're on to me dude. Actually,frequent flyer upgrades are harder to get, and I'm platinum instead of diamond on Delta this year. So this leg I'm in back and our advoirdupois companion is in the center seat.

The slim asian chick in the window seat looks really uncomfortable. I guess the only consolation is the fat dude looks the most uncomfortable.

Originally posted by David G
          I'd think the upper limit would be closer to 250 - 300 #
          That would cover a lot of the flying public.

Comment

• John Smith
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by C. Ross
            Because otherwise you are tresspassing on half of mine.

Bring on the disapproval of my intolerance. I don't care.

I like obese people. They are roly-poly, their laughs are infectious, and when they take the dance floor at weddings everyone smiles.

But the fellow next to me on this Los Angeles-Minneapolis flight is seriously cramping my mojo.
            How about those who weight less than 100lbs have to share their seat with a skinny stranger?
            "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
              obnoxiously persistent.
              • Jan 2005

Just charge by the kilo - body + luggage.
              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• C. Ross
                • May 2007

Originally posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                Just charge by the kilo - body + luggage.
                This would work. I might prefer some formula based on body mass index plus luggage weight.

While we're at it, there should be penalties for those with excessive fragrance, body odor, and guys who insist on sitting with their legs splayed. (No, I don't want to snuggle and spreading your legs does not establish your ownership of half my space.) Oh, and Bathroom Frequent Flyers. One trip per three hours should be plenty.

People! Let's lighten up, clean up, and stay in our designated seats

Comment

• Hwyl
                  Gareth
                  • Jan 2003

I wrote a note of complaint to US Air about this, my neighbour was seriously in my space. I got a polite unresponsive reply. I think JetBlue are the most aggressive on this.

I'd start charging extra at 150lbs

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                    obnoxiously persistent.
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by C. Ross
                    This would work. I might prefer some formula based on body mass index plus luggage weight.
                    People! Let's lighten up, clean up, and stay in our designated seats
                    (BMI+Luggage)* height.
                    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Mrleft8
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2000

It's when the fat guy decides the beef Stroganoff with boiled onions and broccoli was the right choice for the pre-flight meal that the deal really gets pushed to the limit....

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                        Ancient Mariner
                        • Dec 2006

The weight of an airplane + luggage + fliers has to be taken into account when flying. I have no issues with very overweight people except the airlines may. Often, the issue with obese people is a medical issue and their weight can't be helped. I weigh 220, which is heavy but, I also know people who eat less than I do but, weigh 120lbs. more than I do.

Overall, I suspect that airlines are gonna all have to charge for two seats. In many cases, airlines have to charge for extra baggage too. I have a lot of empathy for those overweight passengers but, restrictions are understandable.

Comment

• John Smith
                          • Mar 2009

Most of the world has made accommodations for handicapped people. Theaters have ramps and designated places for those in wheelchairs to park. The football stadium at my grandson's high school has a ramp up to the bleachers and three areas, each with room for two wheelchairs, for those who are in wheelchairs and require some extra space.

I'm curious, if anyone knows, how often passengers are sufficiently oversize to make this a problem and why the airplane cannot simply have a few oversize seats.

This is very close to discrimination based on a physical handicap
                          "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                            Ancient Mariner
                            • Dec 2006

John an oversized chair STILL takes up room where two reg. chairs go. Secondly, as I said in a previous post, the plane (including gas) + passenger weight + luggage has a max overall weight above which, a plane can't fly.

ps...every example you mention has no relationship to airplanes and air travel.

Comment

• hokiefan
                              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by John Smith
                              Most of the world has made accommodations for handicapped people. Theaters have ramps and designated places for those in wheelchairs to park. The football stadium at my grandson's high school has a ramp up to the bleachers and three areas, each with room for two wheelchairs, for those who are in wheelchairs and require some extra space.

I'm curious, if anyone knows, how often passengers are sufficiently oversize to make this a problem and why the airplane cannot simply have a few oversize seats.

This is very close to discrimination based on a physical handicap
                              They do have oversize seats. They're up in first class. If someone needs more than a standard seat to fit, they should fly first class. I pay for my regular seat and I fit in it. I'd like to be able to use all of it. I don't think that makes me selfish.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

Working...