PDA

View Full Version : Painful Early Violin Lessons Eventually Pay Off!

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Your Mom and I are awfully proud of you!

Sammy co-wrote No Mas Amor (http://www.amazon.com/No-Mas-Amor/dp/B00E4AQTQG) with Nashville song writer, Keith Gattis.

Also available on I Tunes, of course |;).

This is the album review:

Willie Nelson, To All the Girls. (http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4170933-nelson-s-to-all-the-girls-an-uneven-mix/)

Alison Krauss sings the duet with Willie. Can't do better than that!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Sammy_Rachel-108.jpg

Sammy on the left, Rachel on bass on the right!

Paul Pless
10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
been waiting on this thread Y>

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Slow on the uptake :D. Thanks, Paul!

Flying Orca
10-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Finestkind - will look for that one!

ron ll
10-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I need a little infill here. These are your daughters Lew? And one of them cowrote a song on Willie Nelsons new album with Allison Krause? That's huge!

Breakaway
10-26-2013, 01:29 PM
That must make a daddy feel proud! ( I have two girls; babies yet.)

Kevin

Gerarddm
10-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Kudos to your daughter!

Paul Pless
10-26-2013, 01:32 PM
These are your daughters Lew?

Thankfully they look nothing at all like Lew!;):d

isla
10-26-2013, 01:36 PM
That is very, very cool :ycool:

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 01:38 PM
I need a little infill here. These are your daughters Lew? And one of them cowrote a song on Willie Nelsons new album with Allison Krause? That's huge!

Roger that on both counts. My girls. Sammy co-wrote No Mas Amor. Buck twenty nine on 'zon, Ron! :D

We're very happy for her, needless to say, and it's a nice leg up. She's really a hell of a musician; born to it, and gets it all from her mamma, except for the microphones and stuff!

We're always proud of all our girls, and in Sammy's case, we hope it encourages her to stick with it. It's a tough road making music your career, but she has done just that and we're pulling for her.

L.W. Baxter
10-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Fantastic. You have to be busting at the seems, Lew.

And Willie and Allison? Two of the coolest humans alive? Great stroke of genius/fortune.

ron ll
10-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Beautiful in more ways than one. I listened to the sample, bought the album. Can't go wrong with Willie and Alison and the extra connection makes it really special. Also both Nelson and Krauss are MAJOR songwriters themselves. To be singing one penned by your daughter is out there in the stratosphere.

wizbang 13
10-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Beautiful in more ways than one .
even typing that twice is beautiful

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-26-2013, 02:40 PM
That's spectacular.

David G
10-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Really a lovely song. Tell you young'n how impressed we all are!

Glen Longino
10-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Precious! Thanks for sharing, Lew!

David W Pratt
10-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Congrats!

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 03:18 PM
You guys are making me blush and gush. Thanks, it's a kick.

I've said this before, but one of my few remaining ambitions in life is to drive my daughter's car (or limo....I guess it would be a limo) to a gig.

And to make the next Mystic show:d

oznabrag
10-26-2013, 03:43 PM
No Mas Amor is getting a lot of airplay here (http://kdrplive.org/).

Congratulations!

seanz
10-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Sweet.
Y>

Nice track too.

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 03:55 PM
No Mas Amor is getting a lot of airplay here (http://kdrplive.org/).

Congratulations!

Thanks, John. That's good! Texas would be a natural place to hear Willie, of course!

It is (or was, not sure) also on....and saying this is potential cause to blush.....Starbuck's hourly rotation. I don't often go to Starbucks, not that there is anything wrong with that!

oznabrag
10-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks, John. That's good! Texas would be a natural place to hear Willie, of course!

It is (or was, not sure) also on....and saying this is potential cause to blush.....Starbuck's hourly rotation. I don't often go to Starbucks, not that there is anything wrong with that!

KDRP (http://kdrplive.org/) is a natural place to hear Willie.

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
And, they are Texas's only solar powered radio station! (Did I read that right?).

ron ll
10-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Kathy is busy putting together a birthday party for her sister tomorrow with a TexMex theme and we are playing this album as we work. No Mas Amor is Kathy's favorite track.

One thing that has always bothered me about buying music on iTunes is the lack of liner notes and credits. There is no place to see who wrote the songs without looking it up somewhere else. When we bought vinyl the writers were credited right on the label.

MiddleAgesMan
10-26-2013, 04:53 PM
That's just fantastic, Lew. I have been keeping an eye out for her in the music news biz. She should be much easier to follow now that Willie has recorded her song.

Does she do lyrics or melody or both? That really is a great song all round.

oznabrag
10-26-2013, 05:25 PM
And, they are Texas's only solar powered radio station! (Did I read that right?).

That is correct!

PeterSibley
10-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Wonderful Lew !|:)

Hwyl
10-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Congratulations.

I remember hearing a Willie Nelson interview on the radio, it my have been Terry Gross on Fresh Air. The interviewer said "I understand you sold the song Crazy for $100" she said it in a tone of voice that indicated he was somehow ripped off. Willy diplomatically admonished her, saying something like : "Well $100 was a lot to me then, and I really needed the money, and the guy who bought it had to work hard to get that $100 and I valued the trust he had in me".

Somehow, it seems that story i relevant because it must be good to have that kind of person as the recipient of your song, his obvious talent, notwithstanding.

pefjr
10-26-2013, 05:56 PM

Sammy co-wrote No Mas Amor (http://www.amazon.com/No-Mas-Amor/dp/B00E4AQTQG) with Nashville song writer, Keith Gattis.

Also available on I Tunes, of course |;).

This is the album review:

Willie Nelson, To All the Girls. (http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4170933-nelson-s-to-all-the-girls-an-uneven-mix/)

Alison Krauss sings the duet with Willie. Can't do better than that!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff76/LewBarrett/Sammy_Rachel-108.jpg

Sammy on the left, Rachel on bass on the right!I was just playing mandolin along with this song and a couple more of the songs on that album just a few days ago. Put it in my favorites on Spotify. It's beautiful Lew, and they are in large company on that album, jezz.....That's guaranteed success. Look at the legends on the album. Heavy.

Old Dryfoot
10-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Congratulations Lew, I imagine you must be very proud. Rightfully so too. May it continue for a good long time.

ron ll
10-26-2013, 06:31 PM
More father/daughter stuff, I see one of the tracks is Willie singing with his daughter Paula.

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Does she do lyrics or melody or both? That really is a great song all round.

Fair question; I never thought to ask. I just asked Lindy if she knew and she said "probably" (meaning she worked on both) but to be sure, I'll ask her next time we speak, which we do almost daily.

Ar a rule Sammy does both music and lyrics even when collaborating, and usually uses a guitar (and her own voice of course) to work parts out. She also plays fiddle. She learned to play the violin first then picked up my guitar (now it's her guitar), taught herself that while she learned some tricks from Lindy, then got too good to learn much at home. She plays (at) drums too.

Sam is the last person to talk much about herself, take credit or even hang too much hope on anything, although she's happy about this of course. She knows you're only as good as your next achievement. She's a wise young lady although she'd never say or even think that of herself. I expect she's just working on her next project as this one's in the can. Our advice to her is to just keep writing.

Edited to add: I really appreciate all the strokes and positive feedback from everyone. I'm glad I said something here; I was worried it would seem a bit....well....you know. We're awfully proud of her, but the song is really not the reason why.

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Congratulations.

I remember hearing a Willie Nelson interview on the radio, it my have been Terry Gross on Fresh Air. The interviewer said "I understand you sold the song Crazy for $100" she said it in a tone of voice that indicated he was somehow ripped off. Willy diplomatically admonished her, saying something like : "Well $100 was a lot to me then, and I really needed the money, and the guy who bought it had to work hard to get that $100 and I valued the trust he had in me".

Somehow, it seems that story i relevant because it must be good to have that kind of person as the recipient of your song, his obvious talent, notwithstanding.

Everybody loves Willie as far as I know (possibly excepting the IRS?). You have to like a guy who plays the world's most famous beater D18 (when he could play anything he wanted) and openly speaks his mind about himself (in a really nice way) and stands behind who he is.

I'm not clear (I think they haven't actually) if Sam and Willie have ever met as he's a Texas musician. I understand the song (among others on the album) was recorded in Nashville. Keith, her collaborator, sold the song (as well as co-wrote it) from what understand; that's not Sam's department at this point.

hokiefan
10-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Well done Lew-n-Lindy's little girl.:D Yeah I know, but to a parent they're always a little girl. Smiles all around.

Cheers,

Bobby

Lew Barrett
10-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Can be very nice to be here when it goes "community." The best part of WBF, always has been.

johnw
10-27-2013, 01:19 AM

When I lived in Texas, it seemed like some channels had an all-Willie format.

Congratulations!

Lew Barrett
10-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Somebody put it on youtube. Enjoy it as long as it lasts; I would expect the copyright people will be along shortly to take it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwN2S9P3nmM

Spin_Drift
10-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Wonderful news Lew!!!! Congratulations to Sammy for "breaking the ice" in such a GRAND WAY. Great tune.

Predicting a great future for her.

Both daughters are beautiful and talented, as are their parents....

:)

George Jung
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Very nice! Pass along the congrats and good wishes. I've no knowledge of the music business, except to know it's a tough one to break into. Looks like she's 'there'. Just an aside - what I've read of Willie/ guitar, he plays that particular model because it's the best he's found - and has his own luthier who's job it is to keep it working! No pressure, there...

C. Ross
10-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Lew, I am so happy for you all, and huge congratulations to Sammy.

Its really a beautiful song. Pretty sure Nelson and Krauss wont be the last to record it...though it'll be pretty near impossible to top them!!

pipefitter
10-27-2013, 01:24 PM
That's awesome.

Lew Barrett
10-27-2013, 01:53 PM
I know you're a big Alison fan as I am, Paul. What a hoot!

Duncan Gibbs
10-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Well done to your daughter Lew! It will be interesting to see who else will record it. I'd love to hear the song given a 'Henry Mancini' styled treatment!

John of Phoenix
10-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Congrats to the entire Barrett clan. I just downloaded the album and love the song. (Goosebumps, literally!)

Here's hoping it's the first of many to come!

Bobcat
10-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Congrats. It's great to see your kids doing so well.

Lew Barrett
10-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks, guys. The clan is happy. The album itself is number 2 on the Billboard country charts after one week in circulation. I don't have any visibility on the song independently, but it's going to have to get past "Drunk Last Night" and "Drinks after Work" to get any traction. Ah, country music!

John of Phoenix
10-28-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm not clear (I think they haven't actually) if Sam and Willie have ever met as he's a Texas musician. I understand the song (among others on the album) was recorded in Nashville. Keith, her collaborator, sold the song (as well as co-wrote it) from what understand; that's not Sam's department at this point.I find it interesting to hear singer/songwriters interviewed and to learn about the inspiration for the song - both lyrics and melody. It would seem that by meeting, the writer could impart some of that inspiration to the enhance the singer's performance but I suspect singers of Willy's stature really don't have the time to meet the writers of every song they sing.

Maybe she would share the inspiration with us? Maybe... ?

Lew Barrett
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Maybe she would share the inspiration with us? Maybe... ?

I asked Sam yesterday (in different terms) and she told me she recalls that she focused (musically) on the female parts; I'd hazard a guess that her guitar ideas are in there somewhere too, although of the things I like best about the song, Willie's guitar intro heads the pack.

Sammy said they wrote the song so long ago she barely remembers who did what. Frankly this song is outside of the style she normally
would write for herself. I wouldn't call her "country."

I've asked her to do something musical just for us (for the forum). I have a particular song in mind that she did a few years ago that fits our boat format, and of course, being on a boat is something she understands. If she doesn't have the time to do it herself, I will at some point get a copy of the file and post it as it exists.

Where inspiration comes from would be a good topic to discuss. I think it's broader than "I had an idea" when you get down to composition, be it of a song, an article, a painting or a sculpture.

It, that is the source of inspiration, borders on a topic of religion or certainly involves a good deal of philosophy to explore. Maybe something to discuss independently as I think it's one of man's great treasures: inspiration, that is.

LeeG
10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Thankfully they look nothing at all like Lew!;):d

Hey, they're girls, Lew is unique, a mix of Chaim Topol and Cary Grant.

Lew Barrett
10-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey, they're girls, Lew is unique, a mix of Chaim Topol and Cary Grant.

Oy!
"Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant."

I will gladly settle for driving Sammy's limo!

Jim Bow
10-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Great song. Just listened to the youtube link. Two thumbs up! I'll be looking for more.

Curtism
10-29-2013, 03:48 AM

As well you should be!

What a great song and as far as I'm concerned, you couldn't ask for two better performers.

Fine job all around.

Hwyl
11-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Bumparama!!! I hope the song is going from success to success.

Lew Barrett
11-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Gareth. The album got to #2 on the charts for a week or two, and the song got good airplay, now it's fallen back ( as expected) and has hovered between "top ten" and "lower." I think it is doing/did fine, but Sammy has moved on and is working on new projects. For a couple of weeks it was all we talked about with her (I think that eventually annoyed her, though she didn't say so). She's working on new and old material and a film score, which seems pretty cool to us. I don't have project detail: we rarely get them until things are in the can, especially the collaborative stuff. Her own tunes are sent to mama for review though.

We'll know how well it is doing when she gets her royalty checks (or reports about them to us). She isn't counting on it for much except as a stepping stone, and I know she doesn't even worry about that. She's pretty level headed. I did a lot more boosting, boasting and talking about it than she ever did. :D

Hwyl
11-28-2013, 08:26 PM
That's great news, thanks for the update.