PDA

View Full Version : Looking for RED JACKET

Chic
12-30-2000, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to locate a boat I maintained and operated from Hyannis between 1977 and 1981. Her name was Red Jacket, she was 48', built in 1940 by Stanley VanSant in Atlantic City, NJ. She was originally named Saquish Head. Her owners on the Cape were Chester Crosby, Fred Hubbard and Steve Stevens. The last I knew of her whereabouts was somewhere on the Connecticut River.

CMS
04-06-2001, 12:45 AM
Hey Chic,
I sail on a scout boat in Tacoma Washington. There is a Staysail Schooner named Red Jacket about that length docked in Totem marina. She is currently owned by a Tarry Pain. That's all the specifics I can tell you remember right now. Could be the same one eh...? Probably not...but could be.

Stephen
04-06-2001, 05:51 PM
Hey CMS - is that a Greg Foster designed/built scout boat that you run, by any chance?

jerry s
04-06-2001, 09:06 PM
Hi Chic,

I once owned a VanSant schooner that was built in 1939 in Atlantic City. I believe she was originally sloop rigged. This boat had 20 opening ports. Her spar length was about 50 feet and the beam was 14.5 feet. Comfortable as an old shoe. If this sounds at all like your RED JACKET we can talk more.

Jamie Hascall
04-10-2001, 03:16 AM
Here is Terry and Renee Paine's Red Jacket at the '99 Port Townsend WBF with the cutter Briony. Red Jacket was built in Seattle by Blanchard (I think) for the commodore of the Seatle Yacht Club. later after changing hands, she caught fire and was sunk with gunfire to save the hull, which was then rebuilt by Frank Prothero. The Paine's have had her in Tacoma for a number of years and have continued to restore her to her present beautiful condition. I don't think she's the boat you seek, but I couldn't resist showing her off.

Jamie
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258385&a=1923170&p=16719760&Sequence=0&res=high

Nicholas Carey
04-12-2001, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Jamie Hascall:
Red Jacket was built in Seattle by Blanchard (I think) for the commodore of the Seatle Yacht Club

RED JACKET ex-KATEDNA (currently home ported in Tacoma WA) was designed by LE (Ted) Geary and build at Blanchard's in 1920 for Fred Baxter. You can read more about Ted Geary at http://www.r-boat.org (not to mention PIRATE, the Geary-designed R-boat we're restoring). WB did a piece on Ted Geary a couple of years ago as well. I believe RED JACKET was mentioned there as well.

Cheers.

N.

Jamie Hascall
04-13-2001, 11:00 AM
Thanks Nick,

I couldn't remember all the details that Terry and Renee had told me about Red Jacket, but to forget that she is a Geary design is almost unforgiveable. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/redface.gif
Thanks for the rest of the story.

Jamie

CMS
04-16-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Stephen:
Hey CMS - is that a Greg Foster designed/built scout boat that you run, by any chance?

Hey, no, sorry it's not a Greg Foster. It's an S+S Yawl built by Nivens. 90 feet long.

Stephen
04-16-2001, 09:46 PM
whoops - wrong scout boat. Sorry...