PDA

View Full Version : Status check - 23 July 01

Ed Harrow
07-23-2001, 09:37 PM
Sorry to be a bit late getting this up, hopefully Custom Skiff won't mind, too much, my tardiness. I assume that to be the cause of the "stuttering" http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=461478&a=12709790&p=52067235

Bernadette and David - if there's any ignorance here it's mine. You can cruise about searching on Phoenix to get some more details, tears, etc, but the long and short is: Keel, floors, sternpost, no doubt some frames, but how many is still lost in the hazzy clouds awaiting discovery. Additionally the hornbeam is questionable, and the gripe as well. Oh, and there's more than a bit of rot in a couple of starboard deck beams and the cockpit carlin, and a bit more in the aft starboard end of the house.

Barb, for immeadiate future when I get the framework up I'll cover it with tarps that I have (bigger than what I'm employing at the moment) which should be sufficient for keeping sun and rain off of her entirely.

Hopefully, unless I get to stuck with waffles and maple syrup this weekend, I'll make some good progress on the cover. Until next time...

John B
07-23-2001, 11:53 PM
You've concreted in your camera tripod haven't you, Ed.
Are you going to stitch all these pics together to make one of those time lapse/ watch all the work happen , clips?

You'll be pleased to hear I helped move a boat today, We did what you did a wee while ago. I ran defense behind the truck.( in my car). Jolly good fun.

paladin
07-24-2001, 12:21 AM
WAFFLES! MAPLE SURPLE! Where? When?

Bryan Mehus
07-24-2001, 05:26 AM
She's giv'n birth to sailboard booms. SWMBO's gotta see this.

Concordia41
07-24-2001, 05:48 AM
Ed - You continue to be an inspirtion.

Consider reinforcing the undersides of your tarp where it will contact the frames. Farmtek had some interesting repair tape by the roll, but I think any thing in the duc tape department (color coordinate with your tarp of course) would do. In the six months or so ours has been up, ours has chafed through in several places.

No big deal for us as we're probably going to get a hurricane warning before long and the whole business has to come down, but as good of a job as you're doing, yours should last the duration.

norske
07-24-2001, 08:27 AM
Ed, Does the keel need replacing also?---Have you considered selling her yet?

Alan D. Hyde
07-24-2001, 10:34 AM
Ed, your comment about waffles and maple syrup reminds me of a story I heard, back when I was flying more frequently.

This guy from Vermont re-did an old barn in pretty bad condition, which sat behind an old cape cod house he'd bought. He rebuilt it over weekends in ONE autumn, because he feared it might not make it through another winter.

Having done this kind of work before, I was surprised to hear how quickly he'd got it done, since it sounded like he'd restored it right, no shortcuts.

His trick was something he and his wife kind of stumbled on by accident. When they started work, they began with some rotted sills, and some granite blocks under them that needed to be moved back into place.

To help with this heavy work, they invited a whole lot of their friends over on Saturday morning for blueberry pancakes, maple syrup, and bacon. They also had lots of orange juice and coffee, quite a feast. The warning given to the friends in advance, was that they'd better wear old clothes, because before they left, they'd burn up every calorie they'd eaten.

While the adults and some of the older children worked, the kids had agreat time playing out back. Everyone had such a good time, they kept on doing it every weekend until the barn was done.

Good story. Perhaps worth emulating.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan D. Hyde (edited 07-24-2001).]

Ed Harrow
07-24-2001, 11:22 AM
So, Norske, what are you offering? http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif The keel has a split that continues along the top of the visible surface of the keel, from as far aft as one can see, to nearly as far forward. It's also a wee bit on the soft side as it approaches the sternpost knee, which seems a bit strange given the 60 years of oil that's stained the knee (which remains pretty solid).

I like your story, Alan. That's kinda what we did with the carriage house at my old house. Only we continued it for Thanksgiving after Thanksgiving until I sold out (I owned the place with two other sick souls, LOL).

John, this whole bit (periodic photo) was Bob Cleek's idea.

Margo, thanks for the tip.

Paladinsfo, for the best waffles you'll have to wait till winter. That's when we fire up the old cook stove and crank out the best waffles you've ever slid across your tongue http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif YUUUUMMMMMMMMMYYYYY!!

[This message has been edited by Ed Harrow (edited 07-24-2001).]

norske
07-24-2001, 08:39 PM
Ed How wide is the split? how deep? I've had a split--a check-- in my boats keel that opens to about 1/4 inch and about 6 feet long each spring after a dry winter(even though the keel is well oiled each year), yet swells up tight once in the water. At haul out in late Oct you can't get a knife blade in---so maybe your keel is in the same state has mine
--I've had that check for 18 years--