PDA

View Full Version : Boaty places to see in Sweden and Norway?

neoclinus
10-15-2013, 11:45 PM
So I'll be traveling in Sweden and Norway this fall and I'm looking for recommendations on places to visit. Obviously the museums in Stockholm and Oslo will be on the schedule, but I'd really love to hear about notable ports. My main interest is traditional working boats, and (I'm going to show my American ignorance here) when I looked at a map I realized I really had no idea where to go, despite the substantial maritime heritage of the area. Travel budget will be a constraining factor and I probably won't be able to spend as much time as I'd like before moving on to less expensive countries, so suggestions closer to those cities would be better. That being said, if there's somewhere I really have to go that's farther afield by all means do let me know.
Also, if anyone knows of some good books on Scandinavian maritime history that would also be helpful.
Thanks!

Max F
10-16-2013, 12:35 AM
NORWAY:
Hardanger Fartojvernesenter near Bergen , the viking Museum in Bud (hope this is right) at the Lofoten Islands. The Museums in Oslo for sure!!!
There are several nice boatyards around. for example Kai Lindes Baadbyggery in Rognan, Gunnar Eldjarn in Tromsö.....
Have a look at the Website from Kysten http://www.kysten.no/lang/english-text

SVEDEN:
The Museum in Karlskrona is a blast! Next to the Wasa in Stockholm is a big collection of small crafts.

Have fun
Max

peter radclyffe
10-16-2013, 01:46 PM
haugesund norway

neoclinus
10-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Hey, thanks so much for the suggestions! It will be good to have some idea of where to go... Definitely looking forward to the museums too, been hearing about the Fram and Wasa museums in particular for so long it will be nice to finally see them in person.
Cheers